GTO Spyder for sale | Page 3 | FerrariChat

GTO Spyder for sale

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by Tspringer, Feb 24, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    I don't see removing points for electronic ignition as being bad, or in putting modern tires or batteries. Even internal engine performance like pistons, cams or even shocks is no big deal to me, but the body is a big deal. It is what it is, why be something it isn't?

2. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    "Holy rebuild Batman!" It's one of Lord Brocket's cars! Is anything on the car actually "real"?

3. fish78

fish78 F1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2004
    Georgia
    Chassis apparently and engine....the narritive did not say that it was one of the cars cut up by Brocket, but only that he once owned it...Meade modified it anyway...covered head lights...so, what do the purists think?

4. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I am not a great fan of S.2 Cabriolets but this car is *UGLY* beyond description! It deserves to be restored with original nose.

5. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Aesthetically, very nice. Gives a bland front end some pizzazz.

Did anyone check out the Lambo 350 GT on the same dealer's page?

6. Ed_Long

Ed_Long Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Salem, Oregon USA
    Full Name:
    Ed Long
    A Viennese Straus waltz is not such if not written by Straus, a van Gogh painting of sunflowers or a Dutch windmill is not a van Gogh if not painted by van Gogh, a Carrera marble statue of David is not a Michelangelo if not carved by Michelangelo, a genuine Ferrari is not a Ferrari if not designed, assembled and sold by Ferrari. It becomes a hotrod. I have no problem with hotrods, my wife loves '23 Ford T-buckets, but they were not designed, assembled and sold by Henry Ford. This GTO spyder is a hotrod, good , bad, or indifferent.
    Ed

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Totally agree.

I wonder whether some of the Sultan of Brunei's cars could be tagged "Hotrods" as well? Like the 456 Venice or the TR FX.

8. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Sultan s Brunei, is the good example.
    Ferrari makes for him 4 doors.... and others concept,
    where are the values of Ferrari in this case...

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    If the factory built one offs for the Sultan, this is so much more respectable than someone down the road hotroding it.

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Funny double standard, but you're right of course.

However did the factory really build the Sultan's cars or some other shop around Modena/Maranello? Would they still be considered "factory" or hotrods? Not to hijack the thread and talk about the Sultan's cars. The question is more where do you draw the line between "officially modified Ferrari" and hotrod?

11. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    we have same taste, but not the same values.

12. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    This may be a bit simplistic but surely, a Ferrari is a Ferrari if the factory has ordered / authorised the bodywork irespective of who actualy made it, after all Ferrari pretty much outsourced all its bodywork up until the 1960's, and the design has almost always been done by an outside designer

Personaly I dont like the cut up 250's.........but do understand why it happens and see newer 70's/80's cars being parted out and cut up every day for the same sort of reasons (not financialy viable to restore)

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #63 rob lay, Mar 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    How about something like this?

1961 250 SWB #2491

Rebodied by Zagato in 1971.

It has been 35 years since the rebody, but still 10 years after it left Maranello. Zagato has always been a respected coachbuilder of Ferraris.

I'm really torn by this one. I think it is ugly, but it is unique. I would have more respect for it if rebodied in 1961, but I think I would feel guilty for now reverting back to 1961 body. The body would be 2006, the 1971 Zagato body would at least be more vintage.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Zagato designs are for an acquired taste, which I don't have, but that's besides the point.

Although Zagato might have a better name than e.g. Norwood to me that is still a hotrod since the factory had no involvement. We shouldn't get all misty eyed by the fact that it is done by another Italian from the hood.

Andrew brings up an interesting point: Ferrari outsources a lot of its bodywork anyway, so if a shop like Pininfarina modifies an existing Ferrari, is that then hotrodding or legit? Or is it only legit if Ferrari gave them (or whomever) the order? Point in case: I'm not sure who ordered the Sultan's cars. He might have just talked to Pininfarina without Ferrari's input (I simply don't know). Somehow a Frank Williams F1 paddle shift doesn't seem to be something the factory would give its blessings.

Personally I find this discussion somewhat academic. :)

15. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    Rob,

I have to agree with you, it's UGLY! The 250 GT SWB was a much nicer design. So would anyone have a problem having this car changed back to its original body? I doubt you're going to find a period SWB body to use so it would have to a modern rebody.

16. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    I must say that I'm astonished by how passionate some of us are! The're just cars--let's not start another jihad!

That having been said, I wonder how we feel about the famous (infamous?) Nembo S/N 1777? Does its design success exempt it from vituperation? How about the Nembo that Tom Meade built for Bill Dixon on a SWB chassis (sorry, don't remember the S/N)? Not quite as pretty, but jees, there went another SWB!

The good news is that I think (not sure) that both cars were wrecked before Tom had those bodies built.

How about Tom's Thomassima, which made the cover of R&t (and which Tom swears he still has!)?

Shades of gray, folks! Comments?

17. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Mr Ed Niles himself, a pleasure.

its a question of "Jihad or Fachist" arguments! i put in this thread two raisons, and i m feel surprise that nobody tries to correct or give a positive reply.

First: Ferrari have one of the most beautifull Palmares in the world, Ferrari it s like a "religion", but be objective a second, Ferrari is the best car in world... AND SO WHAT?

Second: we have same taste, but not the same values.

Now people, try to understand what i m writing, if you don t understand what i m saying i can do nothing for you.

18. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I've often wondered about the double standard that seems to run throughout the collector car world regarding modifications of coachwork. If Ferrari rebodies a car, then it's a glorious thing to behold. If the exact same thing is done by Joe Smith in Bugwhistle, Idaho, it's considered a hack job. If Nembo or Drogo did it, then it has greater credibility than Joe Smith, but less than if Ferrari did the same thing. If Tom Meade did it, then it's probably somewhere between Joe Smith and Drogo. But if Joe Smith keeps making enough glorious creations to bring about some notariety, then the collector car world will take more notice. It smells more of snobbery and less of actual appreciation for the automotive work of art in question.

And I love to anty up for consideration: the Bosley auto. A one-off creation made of fiberglass in the early 50s and hemi powered. It ranked a big article in Road & Track itself. Is a beautiful one-off creation made by Joe in his back yard actually as "good" as a one-off by Ferrari? I smell snobbery.

19. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    Zagato did a much better job on the Fiat parked behind it in the first photo!

20. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Wrong. NONE of the Sultan's cars was done by the Ferrari factory in Maranello. They were ALL built by Pininfarina in Torino in their special departement. The factory delivered complete cars to Pininfarina and they were all converted there. Not by the Ferrari factory.
    Marcel Massini

21. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Ferrari has never rebodied a car. Rebodies were always executed by coachbuilders from Allemano to Zagato, outside the Ferrari factory.
    Marcel Massini

22. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Then that just proves the double standard. If Zagato did it, then it's great. If Joe did it in his back yard, it's bad. Why the great accolades for one above the other if neither one was done, or authorized by the actual company that build the original car? Aren't they both just automotive butchery in the minds of the purist?

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I agree. Zagato is just another hotrodder and I see no difference between his car (in Rob's pic below) and the 250 GTO Spyder.

Point in case: Imagine the outcry if the Zagato below actually had been done by Joe Schmoe in his backyard and he then put it on ebay for sale. No Nomex would be thick enough for the flames coming his way.

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Its not a double standard because it isn't black & white. There is a range from the kid putting cheese grates on a Fiero all the way to a pure Ferrari one off. Everything else is just inbetween and I think judged on its own merits. Zagato did some beautiful and well respected cars, but I think this 250 SWB missed the mark. Zagato still carries more of a name than Joe Smith, but who is to say the market wouldn't value a beautiful Joe Smith creation more than an ugly Zagato one?

25. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

This is what I was trying to point out before. If you dont like this GTO spyder "rebody" then you also must hate all the Tom Meade specials and other specials built over the years by various coachbuilders. To the purist, they are either all representative of the destruction of a Ferrari automobile OR you are a hypocrite.

Whatever, Im with you Ed. They are cars. Nothing more...nothing less. Great fun to play with but "historically significant"? Give me a break. The Magna Carta or Declaration of Independance were historically significant. A real 250GTO is at least historical. A 250GTE is just a low volume production car and if some clapped out old examples are used as the basis of cool rebody exercises then what the hell. Down the road if the next owner likes the original GTE better he can convert the car back.

Terry