GT3RS or TURBO S ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

GT3RS or TURBO S ?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by bocaf430, Feb 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jorligan

Jorligan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    Dexter, MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Had a 996TT and currently have an 18 GT3, almost bought a GT3RS but the ride was just too harsh on MI roads. I would get the Turbo S since you are not planning on tracking the car. Wouldn't count on lack of depreciation, 19 GT3RS Weissach apparently sold for 185K recently. With Porsche making as many GT and GTRS cars as demanded, the premium is gone,

2. MK11

MK11 Karting

Aug 4, 2019
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    MK
    I have no illusions of appreciation. The only thing that will appreciate will be my life driving it. I am counting on $30k loss the first year and about $15k per yr after for the next three years. I am hoping to enjoy every moment of the depreciation curve.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Solid State likes this.
  3. MK11

MK11 Karting

Aug 4, 2019
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    MK
    I asked the dealer about darker blue, green and gray PTS. These are the choices he gave me.

Dark Sea Blue
    · Nato Olive
    · Oak Green Metallic
    · Slate Grey 6601
    · Slate Grey RAL 7015
    · Black Olive
    · Forest Green Metallic
    · Undergerg Green

I was told there are other options. It sounded like one would have to inquire if a certain color is of interest.

4. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    I am sure there is a whole list of options, but he recommended the more popular ones. What was offered for the 991 may not necessarily be available for the 992. If a colour isn't on the list, you have to pay extra for a feasibility test.

5. MK11

MK11 Karting

Aug 4, 2019
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    MK
    I haven’t given them a final color choice yet. We”ll see what they say. For me any PTS makes it more personalized as it should.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. aatk

aatk Rookie

Nov 24, 2017
    Wow Forest Green is PTS now. Came on my 04 as standard.

7. MK11

MK11 Karting

Aug 4, 2019
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    MK
  8. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    Their colour fashionistas determine which colours are standard on each generation, w/ PTS being an option should you prefer an out of production colour. Seeing as Aventurine Green Metallic is currently available, and no green was available on the 991 w/o PTS, it is quite reasonable. Green cars aren't that popular, especially dark green ones.

9. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The irony here being that it was Ferry Porsche’s favorite color on the cars that bore his family name.

Andial likes this.
  10. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    For the kind of driving the OP described in the first post, I would have a C2 GTS over either. It's set up to be sharper and more fun than the Turbo on road, is still a turbo and damn near as fast, just as practical, much more of a hoot. And below flat out track speeds (and on lumpy roads) it will be more comfortable, fun and rewarding than the GT3 RS. The only thing you'll miss is the status of the badge on the boot.

11. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    I am sure the badge on the boot is irrelevant as the three cars are easily discernible even when debadged. The problem with the TT and GTS is SC though.

12. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    What I meant was the status of having a Turbo S or GT3 RS badge, which is higher than having a GTS badge, to some.

Sorry, what does SC mean? (apart from a 911 SC) ?

13. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    Sport Chrono package. I guess having Turbo S or GT3 RS on the back can signal that one has spent more money than a car with GTS on the back.

14. MK11

MK11 Karting

Aug 4, 2019
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    MK
    Both TTS and 2RS show differently than GTS anyway with wings. Some prefer the sleek look of the 911 with GTS.

15. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    While I haven't driven a GT3 I find the GT3 Touring quite attractive w/o the big wing on the back assuming you are not going to track the car and actually get some real benefit from the wing. Saw one yesterday and it looked outstanding! However, they are harder to locate than a GT3 with the wing. I believe the dealer told me they were mainly a special order, and the dealers usually order the GT3 with the wing.

16. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    The Touring package was merely an option one could tick when configuring their GT3. However, it has the stigma of being a 911R wannabe or not a real GT3. It is not a bad car by any means, but leads to unfair comparisons. In the US, dealers shouldn't have been able to spec the GT3 themselves as customer demand was greater than supply.

17. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Well in the US the 911R sales were restricted to those who purchased a 918 which was not the case in Europe. So I have no problem with the GT3 Touring since Porsche placed the US restrictions on the 911R sales. The prices of the 911R went way up by the speculators and now they have come way down. The Touring model makes a lot more sense to me than an inflated priced 911R.

18. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David
    As a 3 time Porsche Turbo (S) owner, I say Turbo S.

Quicker / Faster than a GT3RS and was more comfortable.

Boomhauer likes this.
  19. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I am also a 3 time Porsche Turbo & Turbo S owner and agree. The GT3Rs is really a track car.

Boomhauer and Big Swole like this.
  20. MK11

MK11 Karting

Aug 4, 2019
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    MK
    Having owned a GT3 touring for two years I loved it. It’s great for curvy roads, mountain passes and Porsche club drives. It’s was a bit much at track with manual. The sound and the engine with its constant urgency were addictive. I sold it as I eventually got tired of the stiff ride for any type of daily use. Looking forward to my TTS. I give that one about two years too.

Boomhauer and Big Swole like this.
  21. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I have both currently - I would go for the turbo s. GT3 RS is a special event car.

22. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    There is a fellow in Florida who has a history with Porsche, but did not purchase a 918 and got a 911R from Porsche. Suitcase on Rennlist. However, you should peruse the threads there that compare both cars, as they seem to suggest the 911R is worth its premium over the GT3.

23. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    First one I have heard of but would not be a total surprise, we all know rules are made to be broken. I suspect a purchaser of a 918 either didn’t want the 911R so the dealer had an unaccounted for allotment and so offered it to a good customer or the 918 owner sold/gave his 911R allotment to this guy.
    The GT3 was an unlimited production while the 911R was to be limited, I think to 918 but in any event limited. So it would make sense the more limited edition would sell at a premium to an unlimited edition.

24. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    The 911R was limited to 991 units and the gentleman in question fit neither of the two situations you proposed. On another note, do you think Jeff Zwart had a 918?

25. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    OK, how did he score a 911R, on his good looks?:D:D