GT3 RS | Page 234 | FerrariChat

GT3 RS

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by joe sackey, Oct 26, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    We won't sell the Seinfeld RS, but Sterling will tell you the 997 3.6 RS is the best RS value out there presently, he's certainly made me a believer!

NürScud likes this.
  2. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

Both 997 3.6 RS and 3.8 RS are criminally undervalued - and I feel that prosecution should start immediately!

3. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

RS 3.8 keeping up with a McLaren which produces almost 200 more horsepower:

joe sackey and Finlander like this.
  4. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    Porsche and Seinfeld ....two of my favorites.

Boomhauer and joe sackey like this.
  5. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State

A few years back I was in the parking lot outside of The Quail and there was a guy getting out of his 997.1 GT3 RS. I had just bought mine and asked him how he liked his, so we chatted for a while. (I believe he's a member here) He proceeded to tell me about how much he loved the 997.1 GT3 RS and all of its attributes. The size, the sound, the manual gearbox, the overall involvement, etc. He then went on to tell me about his fantastic collection, which included an Enzo, F50, Challenge Stradale and a Carrera GT to name a few. Having owned some of the finest cars money can buy, he finished by telling me this 997.1 GT3 RS is his favorite car to drive of them all.

steveintoronto, E_Man and joe sackey like this.
  6. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    That's really saying something ... with that type of hardware in the garage to play with.

MDS

Finlander likes this.
  7. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Fantastic. I think one of the appeals of the RS is it gives the driver a true racing feel while still maintaining regular 911 usability (and, costs). So, for most collectors it will never feel too precious or delicate to use, which can be a problem with many supercars in the real world.

steveintoronto and Boomhauer like this.
  8. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

A contact of mine in the Japanese car collector world recently purchased his first Porsche, he went with a 997.2 GT3 RS at my recommendation. A unique spec w/ factory graphics delete, silver wheels, and some other special options:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Gh21631, Boomhauer and joe sackey like this.
  9. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Awesome! Thanks for all of the reviews. Enjoy!

10. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Great interview with Walter Rohrl which was conducted just after the 997.1 GT3 RS had completed development. He makes it clear that the 911 GT cars are fully his responsibility in terms of test driving, and he signs off on each one prior to public release being approved.

My favorite line: "...when I want to go to a racetrack. But if I want to go do that, I would take the 997 GT3 RS. That is set up precisely how I want it, because that is my work."

11. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Are any owners planning on attending the upcoming Cars & Coffee at Porsche Experience Center Los Angeles? This is a great way to enjoy the new PECLA and check out the facility, dining, great Porsches in attendance, etc.

We will be heading up from south Orange County in the ex-Seinfeld 997 GT3 RS, it would be nice to get some owners together and perhaps convoy up. Please reach out to me if you are planning to go: [email protected]

Details below:

joe sackey likes this.
  12. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

NürScud, Boomhauer and E_Man like this.
  13. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

14. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Highly recommended event for anyone who loves Porsches!

15. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

16. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Boomhauer, spyderman and joe sackey like this.
  17. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

In the mountains near the German-Austrian border, a 997.2 GT3 RS is tested against its competition for Evo in 2010. Henry Catchpole wrote, “...honestly it was brilliant from the first corner, and then just got better. How it can generate such grip, feel and involvement, and yet ride better than a standard GT3 is just flabbergasting, and to drive it on these extraordinary roads was a rare privilege."

Boomhauer likes this.
  18. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Winner of the 2007 Evo ‘Car of the Year’ with stiff competition from the Ferrari 430 Scuderia, the venerable 997.1 GT3 RS. The Porsche won with six out of nine judges placing it first.

How? ‘Stupendous engine, incredible steering and a chassis you’d never tire of’ was John Barker’s summation. Both Dickie Meaden and Roger Green thought it was the best 911 they’d ever driven, with Peter Tomalin concluding that it felt that bit more organic, more feelsome than the Scuderia.

What a car! Images below from Evo's first test of the RS as well as a few from the group test below.

19. E_Man

E_Man Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Such a brilliant machine even today, in fact even more so today given the direction of the latest offering of high performance cars.

20. pnorell

pnorell Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 24, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Peter
  21. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Road & Track's numbers on the 2007 GT3 RS (997.1). 0-60 in 3.9-seconds is not bad at all, so long as you are willing to side-step the clutch at 6,500 RPM. :)

joe sackey likes this.
  22. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

23. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

I posted this on my Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/sterlingsackey/), copying here due to the relevance:

In late 2009, Porsche came up with a brilliant way to test the mettle of their brand-new 911 GT3 RS of the 997.2 generation and show the world what it could really do. In the spirit of the early days of road racing, they would drive a completely stock GT3 RS, save for the necessary racing safety equipment, from the Porsche research center in Weissach to the 2010 running of the 24 Hours of Nürburgring. They would then compete in the race using said RS against a horde of fully prepared racing cars, and if all went according to plan, they’d drive it home again.

In the press release illustrating the plan, Porsche’s Head of Motorsport, Hartmut Kristen stated, "Four times straight, it was the Porsche GT3 RSR that was the vehicle to dominate the overall classification. I’m very pleased to see one of our Weissach-developed road-going vehicles competing parallel to the thoroughbred racers and proving its suitability for long distance competition." Of course, this was not a competition car, and was complete with turn signals, a horn, and all else necessary for road use. Nontheless, Porsche was clearly confident in the car.

When it came time, the car made its way 200 kilometers down the roads from Weissach to the event, then got down to the business of competing. Walter Röhrl had originally been planned as a driver, but the chosen few ended up being Roland Asch, Patrick Simon, Chris Harris, and Horst von Saurma. The car managed to qualify an incredible 42nd out of around 220 participating vehicles, and soon the race was underway. The 3.8-liter Mezger flat 6, manual transmission, suspension, and all the rest were punished for a full 24 hours of racing.

By the end of the race, the battered and bruised RS had completed over 145 laps, putting it in an amazing 13th place overall and 4th in class. Roland Asch summarized, “As planned, we replaced the front brakes during the race. But other than that, the mechanics concentrated on refuelling, tyre changes and cleaning the windows during the pit stops. The car ran like clockwork.” Job well done, then. After the day’s events, the car made its way back to Weissach, another 3 hour journey, though certainly easier than the 24 hours that had come before!