Grundy vs. Hagerty | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Grundy vs. Hagerty

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by arkferrari, Oct 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. seven64sls

seven64sls Rookie

Nov 25, 2008
    IL & MI
    Full Name:
    Steve
    In response to TTR.

I remain insured with Hagerty since the 2017 claim and, in fact, my annual premiums are currently slightly lower than they were in 2017. In addition, when the vehicle was in two different shops for several months, I received a check for roughly 50% of the annual premium.

TTR likes this.
  2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Glad to read yours worked out better than some others I've seen or know of.
    While I've never had a need for claim (<knocking-on-wood>) on any my vehicles, modern or vintage, I know several individuals who had their (vintage car) policies cancelled or premiums significantly increased (essentially forcing owners to look for an alternative) at next renewal cycle after a (major) claim, hence my generalized cautioning.

3. Larsoni

Larsoni Rookie

Feb 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    Curtis A. Larson
    USAA for all my vehicles 30+ years.

4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    One concern I personally have with one of my vintage cars is that getting any carrier to provide reasonably priced agreed value policy to what I believe sufficient amount of coverage since the car in question is pretty much a one-off and unique with no comparable (apples-to-apples) data available.
    And that concern is not about some potential windfall in case of an accident or theft, but rather to have enough funding available to fix it correctly and prevent obscenely low salvage/total loss settlement in case of even some minor incident.

5. SlikkNikk

SlikkNikk Rookie

Oct 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Nick Gundara
    I've insured with American Collectors for the last 8 years and their rates have been very reasonable.

6. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I had used Grundy before Hagerty. I did not enjoy my experience with Grundy at all.

7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    That is the point of an "agreed value" policy and they are designed for your situation. Obviously you must discuss this with any potential carrier being considered and, of course, "get it in writing".

8. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Reasonable concerns. I had no issue after a total loss with Grundy (my fault...or at least contributing). I bought another Ferrari and was happily added back at a reasonable rate again. I had one other claim for a few thou on a bumper on my F355 and again, didn't see a significant increase that I recall.

9. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    If you could elaborate, it would be appreciated!

C Alexander and f355spider like this.
  10. Paul Kane

Paul Kane Karting

May 27, 2020
    Rickmansworth UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Kane
    Surly Haggerty were reimbursed in full by the 3rd party insurer of the SUV as you were hit in the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

f355spider and TTR like this.
  11. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I use Grundy for everything.

Why? Because they were willing to insure my 2018 Pur Sang Bugatti 35B.

And when it was damaged in a building fire they made sure it was fully restored.

Matt

Texas Forever and 375+ like this.
  12. seven64sls

seven64sls Rookie

Nov 25, 2008
    IL & MI
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hi Paul,

The guy that hit me had the state minimum coverage of $20k and what is widely considered to be a shoddy insurance company (Safe Auto.) You can find page after page of complaints posted on the internet about those folks not paying claims. My seat broke off during the accident & I whacked my head pretty hard on the corner of the rear firewall. Ended up having to threaten to sue them (Lawyer involved) for reimbursement of the medical bills, rehab, etc. Took months to get anything from them.

Texas Forever likes this.
  13. Paul Kane

Paul Kane Karting

May 27, 2020
    Rickmansworth UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Kane
    That seems unfair when you're an innocent party.
    In the UK the minimum insurance is 3rd party, your ins company will reimburse the other vehicle you damage only but not your vehicle or passengers.
    We then have fully comprehensive cover (most popular) which covers both vehicles and passengers regardless of blame providing the car you're in is legal and you're not over the alcohol limit, if caught and breathalysed by the police or proven to be driving without due care and attention.
    Usually 100% of repair costs, legal fees, free loan car and any medical treatment is covered.
    You receive a "no claim discount" for each year you don't claim that can be used with any insurer which you can protect for a extra small fee.
    If you're an innocent party to an accident your insurer will claim back all the costs from the 3rd party's insurance.

BTW my F328 (value £70K) is fully comprehensive with Hagerty, 2000 miles per year with no restrictions for around £300 inc tax ($390).
    How does this compare to US prices?

14. seven64sls

seven64sls Rookie

Nov 25, 2008
    IL & MI
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Without studying the lengthy Hagerty policy, it sounds like insurance in the U.S. is much different than the U.K. There are adequate limits ($100k to $500k) for liability with the expensive part being collision & comprehensive. No mileage restriction that I know of other than you must have an insured "regular driver" and a locked garage for storage. My 1988 has roughly the same value as yours and full coverage runs about $1000 per year. Also covers damages caused by uninsured and underinsured motorists.

15. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I had Hagerty for maybe 10 years with up to 20 cars i bought an F12 back in 2015 they would not insure it so I switched to Grundy who saved me a bunch and insured any car I bought and no mileage restriction etc... have less cars now .. and have not had claim ...

Texas Forever likes this.
  16. steven t evans

Jul 24, 2020
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Evans

17. steven t evans

Jul 24, 2020
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Evans
    Your own Comp and Collision pays to fix your auto if involved with a uninsured or underinsured driver. UM and UIM are coverages for YOUR medical , paid and suffering and loss of wages UM and UIM does not pay to fix the car....your UM and UIM limits should be equal to your own Liability limits....do not choose a lower limit or do not OPT OUT of those coverages.

18. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Twice as much as anything else. I have it on all
    My cars and thinking of moving. I currently without tickets pay more than 20k per year. Yes I have a lusso and f12 and 488 etc but whe. I asked them about the value on my 430 6 speed they said 50k. Not any issue but quotes from Chubb and others are much less.

Usaa wanted to I sure my house. But when we did a quote the value was too high for even their high end. And it’s less than 4m.

Would not insure a Ferrari with Usaa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    If you are concerned about valuations, then you need "agreed value" policies. Sports Car Market magazine in their "legal side" column addresses lawsuits over valuations at least once per year and recommends everyone get agreed value policies.