GRRC Members Meeting 2014 and 2015 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

GRRC Members Meeting 2014 and 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jack-the-lad, Apr 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    Another way of looking at the cost is to factor in the GRRC membership.

The Festival of Speed and Revival have suffered from overcrowding for several years and access at the former has become a lot more limited as the F1 teams have spread. This has, I think, diminished the enjoyment and I am no longer a regular visitor.

Fore some, therefore, the Club meeting cost something over £300 + grandstand + programme + refreshment.

Oh, and some friends who are not GRRC members (or Bugatti owners) but previous attendees at the FoS and Revival were canvassed to buy tickets for the Members Meeting.

2. neil-f

neil-f Karting

Feb 6, 2008
    UK
    I purchased tickets early as a GRRC member, felt a little peeved that day tickets not straight 50% of 2 days.
    2 car mags I subscribe to had flyers offering tickets.
    It was a great event and will go again next year if it is on.

3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Has anyone heard about an event for 2015 yet? We already have accommodations, but it would be nice to give our hosts exact dates as soon as we can.

Thanks.

Jack

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Last year they announced in September

5. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks, Jimmie.

6. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    March 21 and 22. Maybe we can organize an F-Chat meet-up.

See you there!

Jack.

7. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    I'll also be there both days.

Any tips on accommodation would be appreciated - most, if not all, the hotels in Chichester appear fully booked.

8. Stefano Pasini

Stefano Pasini Karting

Feb 2, 2011
    Bologna, Italia
    Full Name:
    Dr. Stefano Pasini
    Hello all,

I'll be at the GRRC meeting this year as well, last year it was very nice and it's good to get back there without the numbers and pressure of FoS and Revival. A couple of weeks ago I met Charles March in Geneva and he said that everything for the 73rd meeting is going very well, tickets and all. He's a genius and while I reckon that Goodwood is expensive these days, I must also note that Villa d'Este and Pebble Beach, the only comparable events around the world, are even more expensive!

Anna and I will have a suite at the Avisford Park Hilton and will have dinner both evenings at the Kennels, it's such a nice place even if their Martinis are not as good as they were. It will be great to meet some FerrariChat members, of course....

Cheers

Stefano

9. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Stefano,

PM sent to your FChat account.

Jack

10. richardson michael

Aug 17, 2013
    brittany. france
    Full Name:
    michael richardson
    Q. Here are a few for you to consider,and check out....The Millstream,at Bosham..The Spread Eagle at Midhurst....Amberley Castle, Amberley(Arundel)....The Norfolk Arms,Arundel. Ballifscourt Hotel,Clymping, Avisford Hilton,already mentioned. These are all within a 10 mile radius,and are traditional hotels,rather than Pubs with accomodation.

11. Darren C

Darren C Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2011
    Chichester, UK
    Richard,

I would avoid ALL of those places you list. they put up their already inflated prices on weeks that events are on at Goodwood, sometimes by 500%

My advice would be to go outside the Goodwood hype zone (20 mile radius) and book a hotel at its normal rate to avoid being taken for a fool with money.

12. richardson michael

Aug 17, 2013
    brittany. france
    Full Name:
    michael richardson
    Darren. I know ,of course,we are talking a supply and demand situation here,Indeed,when I lived in Chichester,we moved prices for Goodwood events,and others inc Festival Theatre. However,my advice was given specifically to American visitors who want to enjoy the experience,and if I may say,are not too short of the reddies. Now,if you move them out to 20 odd miles from the track,they will have a terrible time every day trying to get in. I was in Petworth during the last Revival...traffic was qeueing back to Northchapel,and some drivers in classic cars opted to turn round,and return home. I saw it happening.Nightmare !

13. Stefano Pasini

Stefano Pasini Karting

Feb 2, 2011
    Bologna, Italia
    Full Name:
    Dr. Stefano Pasini
    Hello all,

despite a catastrophic delay in getting to Goodwood that made me miss the Friday evening Martini with Jack (sorry mate, the cancellation of my midday British Airways flight forced us to take the evening Bologna London and we arrived at the Hilton in Arundel at 11,30 pm....), Anna and I found the event very entertaining and Lord March's hospitality for friends, on the Old Control Tower, very nice. The races were great, there were stunning cars everywhere with lots of treasures everywhere in the paddock and in the parking lot as well: as many have already said it's as good as the Revival, but far less crowded, more relaxed, quite friendly. The Saturday evening firework show was stunning!

Sadly we were not as happy with the Kennels. It was, at the beginning, a restaurant and bar very much in the style of Goodwood, now it feels just a computerized tourist trap with indifferent but very expensive food. When I complained that the steak that on the menu was listed to £25 was put on my bill at £38, they shrugged in a most Gallic way, and that was all. The Martini was served bare ('no olives this evening, sir, sorry') and peanuts cost £3.....

2015 GRRC Meeting, Goodwood

I don't know if I shall attend it in 2016, a bit too far for us to do in only one week-end, but I must repeat that in many ways it was more enjoyable that many other events.

All the best

Stefano

14. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    #39 MisterMaranello, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
    It was a great weekend, although Saturday was freezing. Stayed until the driver changes in the Graham Hill Trophy were done and then left. Didn't bother staying or returning for the evening entertainment.

Even though Saturday was sold out, there was really no crowding anywhere - you could grab a nice viewing position at any of the 'hotspots' just about any time, even during the most popular happenings. A testament to how well Goodwood have planned the event.

I was a little bit surprised to find that this year there was a private guests enclosure and there were also a set of reserved tables here and there. Didn't really bother me, but as someone on another forum mentioned - this sort of "gentrification" is not really in tune with the proposed nature of the MM.

Wouldn't ever bother attending the carnival that is the Revival after spending the weekend at the MM. People were friendly, the dress code was generally well adhered with a few riffraff here and there (Revival-esque costume and full "teamwear" kit) and the overall atmosphere was absolutely superb. Experiencing the Graham Hill Trophy race into dusk was magical. The Group C and F1 GTR demos were also a particular highlight.

15. Darren C

Darren C Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2011
    Chichester, UK
    Michael,

The advice I was offering is from 35 years of living within earshot of Goodwood. I have friends that have visited over many years of Goodwood events, once my spare rooms are taken the others now stay the otherside of Portsmouth to avoid the ridiculous increased rates of local hotels. I have many years experience in finding places for them to stay and outside of 20 miles is the best thing financially we ever did.
    Like most events its about planning your travel times to meet the situation. My friends and I simply leave a little earlier, meet up and are usually in the carpark for 7am. Better to leave an hour early, save £400 a night on your accommodation and have no stress in traffic that builds after 7:30 for miles around.
    Equally at the end of the event we simply chill out until the carparks eased then leave using the local back roads to avoid queuing.

16. richardson michael

Aug 17, 2013
    brittany. france
    Full Name:
    michael richardson
    O.K. Darren, I take your point,We catered for long haul guests since FOS began,they liked being close by. I lived within earshot of the track since 1953,and one of my lasting memories was private testing of the V16 B.R.M, a sound still ringing in my ears!!