Grocery Shopping What should I get | FerrariChat

Grocery Shopping What should I get

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by thirteendog, Oct 20, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    I've got to do some shopping tonight, I don't have anything in my house for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. I planned it that way, so I can't cheat. All I have is 6 Apples in my fridge. I'm trying to lose weight and I work out 5 - 7 times a week. Can you guys/gals help a single 24 year old out? What should I get at the store tonight? I like just about everything except Melons (trigger food for Migraines) and Tomatoes, but will eat them if prepared correctly.

2. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    Basic spices
    Chicken breast
    Brown rice (bags)
    Green vegetables (spinach, collards)
    Bananas
    Oatmeal (whole, rolled oats)
    Eggs
    Cottage Cheese (fat free)
    Whole yogurt (Mountain High, I love the fat-free vanilla)
    Cans of red kidney beans and black beans
    Gallons of water

You will feel amazing.

3. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    ^ Our lists are almost identical...

Bulk extra lean ground beef
    Bulk chicken breast
    Brocolli/Spinach
    Bananas
    Natural PB
    Rolled oats
    Egg whites, whole eggs
    Cottage cheese
    Fat-free deli turkey
    Whole wheat bread
    Kidney beans
    Whey protein
    Skim milk
    Brown rice

4. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Alright there's a start. I take it
    Eggs when I wake up,
    Gym time (I use to go when I got off work but i think this will work better)
    Oatmeal Banana
    Lunch Chicken Breast brown rice and beans salad
    snack Cottage Cheese
    Dinner Chicken Breast brown Rice and beans salad
    snack Yogurt

Correct me if I have them in the wrong order?

5. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    I like this one it's a little more choices.

I take it lunch could be turkey sandwhich and salad.
    P/B and Apples or Banana's

I take it I can get Whey Protein at GNC?

Oh and thanks for the help.

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Have food the way a truly wild animal would. They start the day near a watering hole, so whatever grows nearby is watery and high in carbs. The further away they get, the drier the pickings and higher the protein. You'll note they don't eat a bunch of things at once. They're not as dumb as they look, ya see.

first: juice
    then: moist fruit, like citrus, banana or strawberry
    then: crisp fruit, like apple or pear

then: Mark your territory.

later: moist veg
    then: crisp veg
    then: flaked/light meat
    Do not drink water with meal, it acts as diuretic

later: Kill an antelope and eat it on the spot.

By the time you get back to the watering hole, that protein will help you sleep. The next morning, after you have that apple, you'll crap whatever out on the plains.

You will be cut, low fat, and energized.

7. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    #8 CAS, Oct 20, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
    Depends on how much time you have and how early you wake up.

Ideally:

Shake (Wake up and go back to bed if you need to)

Eggs and Oats for breakfast. I do 2yolk/4 whites and a cup of oatmeal. Banana. Espresso.

You need carbs before the gym. So eat this breakfast, wait 30 mins, go to gym.

Shake after gym.

Snack 1 hour after that, could be wheat bagel/cottage cheese.

Then lunch.

Then two hours after snack.

Then dinner.

Then shake before bed.

That's just me. You may work your way up to this, but I have an extremely high metabolism and am 6'4"; I work hard to put on weight.

EDIT: that product is crap bro. Buy some decent whey protein and mix your shake with fat free milk. Premixed stuff is just way over the top expensive. Starbucks will give you a cup of milk for free; ask for a big cup and make your shakes on the go. That is what I do.

8. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    I'm actually trying to take weight off, not put any on. I need to lean up, at the gym I do light weights and heavy cardio. I'm not interested right now in bulking up or packing on muscle. Thanks for the info, It give me an idea of what I need to do.

Oh, and the drink was just an idea. Do you have a specific brand you use?

9. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    Oh. Totally different goals then. :)

Sorry about that. I use basic Cytosport Whey Protein; it's far from the best, but it's decent-quality and it tastes very good.

10. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Oh, no worries. I can use what's been given to me. I just have trouble getting started. It's kind of like Lego's for me. If I bought a box of lego's I could never make what I get if I bought a kit that made a castle. Even though they have the same parts, I would never be able to pic out the things I needed in the large box of random legos, but if you seperate it and give me the things I need I can make them fit.

It's a bad analogy but it works... maybe... ok not at all. lol

11. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    Leaning up and losing weight is not the same thing. I'm a lot leaner than I was 5 months ago, and I'm also 5-7 pounds heavier.

Here's my diet:

8am: 1 cup oats, 1 cup skim milk, 1 scoop casein protein (if I had time, I would eat eggs as well)
    10am: Turkey on whole wheat
    12pm: Chicken breast, brown rice, broccoli
    2pm: 1 tablespoon PB, 1 cup cottage cheese, 1 piece of fruit
    4pm: 1 cup oats, 1 cup skim milk, 1 scoop isolate whey protein (pre-workout)
    5pm: 1 cup water, 1 scoop isolate whey protein, 1 banana
    7pm: Ground beef, kidney beans, carrots
    9pm: 1 cup cottage cheese
    11pm: 1 cup skim milk, 1 scoop casein protein

I'm sure I'm missing a couple of snacks here and there but that's pretty much what I eat.

12. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    The best casein, IMO, is Syntha-6 (cookies & cream is delicious).

The best isolate whey, IMO, is Optimum Nutrition.

13. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    There is not "best" whey. Sure ON has stuff in it that's great. But a lot of them are equal to it. And ON is so whored out on bb.com it makes me sick. I bought some, thought it tasted a bit chemical-like. And the Stevia changed the sweetness of it every time. Just my opinion of course.

14. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    First day without anything frozen woo hoo.

15. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Don't knock out frozen peas though. They are pretty much the only veggie that is best bought frozen because of how quickly peas begin losing their nutritional value after being plucked off the tree.

And other frozen veggies aren't bad either, just not as good as fresh. And frozen blueberries mixed in with a protein shake. So good.

16. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Sorry I meant frozen Meals.

17. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    Hence the 'IMO'.

And I'm not sure about casein, but in terms of isolate, IsoXP is regarded as the 'cleanest' protein.

Bang-for-your-buck, though, it's hard to beat Optimum Nutrition (and I agree, it tastes rancid, especially considering I mix it with water).

18. sdtradingguy

sdtradingguy Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    The first 2 replies were pretty much on... I'd add can tuna, bell peppers (makes chicken taste better), Olive oil, Natural Peanut butter, raw nuts (almonds, cashews mostly), Sweet Potatoes ...

I'll give you some extra advice- Shop mostly at Costco for the Peanut Butter, cottage cheese, Salad, Olive Oil (big tub), Canned tuna, raw nuts and anything else you can buy there. Since you'll be eating a lot of similar foods, you'll save a ton and not have to shop as much. You'll be amazed how quick small portions from a grocery store will last.

On meats I look at all my "grocery" mailings once a week. I then stock up on really good deals for the meats. Instead of buying 2lb of boneless/skinless chicken breast for $4.99 a pound, I'll get it for $1.69 a pound. I'll stock up and buy 60lb of it and freeze it. I'll separate it first, and take out 2-3days worth at a time, thaw and cook it.

Done right a healthy diet is pretty cheap, done wrong it'll be triple the cost of a normal diet IMO.

Also, I'd stay away from GNC. I personally feel they are WAY overpriced. I go to the Vitamin Shoppe. They usually have pretty good prices. You can get a 5lb tub of Whey for under $39.00 there. Should last you 1-2 months.

19. sdtradingguy

sdtradingguy Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2007
    San Diego, CA
  20. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    To be specific though in terms of nutrition. Almonds and Walnuts are the best overall. Walnuts are suppose to actually be the best overall nut in terms of good fats, protein, etc.

21. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    We actually don't have a CostCO but I planned on going to Sams' (if you don't have one it's a bulk item Wal-Mart) and pick up some things.
    Thanks for all the advice.