Great Story About the Piper Cub! | FerrariChat

Great Story About the Piper Cub!

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Bob Zambelli, Mar 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
  2. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Thank you....did NOT know all that... including the Tuskegee Airmen....

Thought of my late uncle, who flew an L-5 (Stinson) in the Pacific in WW2... similar plane

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    As I have mentioned earlier, I learned to fly in a 1937 Cub with a 55hp Lycoming in it, no brakes, no tail wheel....just a spring leaf skid. later, I flew the modern J-3 with a 65hp Cont. and all the fancy things like brakes and a tail wheel. I flew all the succeeding models ( the Coupe, PA11,etc.) except the fancy big stuff . Flew the L-2, L-3, L-4, and the L-5 (that is a Stinson and incorrectly shown in the video as an L-3) , The L-5 was a much more powerful bird with a 6 cylinder Cont. and different airplane than the L-4 and very nice to fly. The Taylorcraft L-2 was much lighter and more fragile than the other L series. The Aeronca L-3 was the heaviest and more durable. I regretted that I never got to fly an L-19. After the war the Stinson Voyager and Station Wagon were beautiful and plush " rocking chair" airplanes and easy to fly. There was nothing more striking and beautiful , however, than a pre war Stinson Reliant with it's 32 coat hand rubbed nitrate dope finish in which you could see your reflection and the deep cushiony upholstery. Don't see that anymore with the butyrate finishes and naugahide.

TimN88 likes this.
  4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A Super with a STOL kit and tundra wheels would be a gas to have but would just get me in a lot of trouble.

Jacob Potts likes this.
  5. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    yeah, but it would do it very slowly;)

Jacob Potts likes this.
  6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Correction.The L-5 had a 185 hp Lycoming. Earlier 105 had a 90hp Franklin, I think. The Stinson 108 was and is a beautiful airplane and a joy to fly. Another great one was the Fairchild 24 with either a Ranger or a Warner. So smooth and comfortable! Thinking that far back is almost like looking at a video of someone else doing the flying. Those visions are a helluvalot nicer than what's going on now.

Jacob Potts and Tcar like this.