Great early MX riders | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Great early MX riders

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by AnotherDunneDeal, Apr 6, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Oh yeh, they were supposed to add to the strength of the rim in extreme riding conditions. When I was stationed in Charleston, SC when in the Navy, I made several of the races out that way. You had to use a large flat blade screwdriver to scrape the mud out of those grooves. I agree, each rim must have weighed 100lbs or more. When the mudless rims came out I immediately made the switch.......

2. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #77 AnotherDunneDeal, Apr 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Does this look familiar? Look how big that groove is......
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout

James,
    You know what we haven't done in this thread yet is harrass the younger generation about how easy todays MX bikes are to ride. You know: a foot of travel on both ends, disc brakes, no mud filled rims, etc...When we were racing: 6 inches in the front forks, 4 inches of travel in the back (both if you were lucky), crappy drum brakes that didn't work AT ALL when wet, the aformentioned mud rims, top end rebuilds (or atleast rings) after every race (small bore Japanese bikes), etc...

Jimmy

4. NORTY

NORTY Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2008
    CARLSBAD, CA, USA,
    Full Name:
    NORTY
    The downhill is still there, but the rest of the track is Melrose Avenue! The downhill was known as "The Carlsbad Freeway!"

5. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #80 AnotherDunneDeal, Jan 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I remember calling it many things other than that.......Like, oh sh*t, ohhh, grunt, ouch, this is gonna hurt, when will I stop rolling? And the first time down each time......."look at that friggin hardpack......"

So many of the old tracks are long gone. They sure were more fun than the indoor tracks. Never liked riding them much.....Astrodome had an over/under bridge where the track doubled back over itself.......Natural terrain was just more fun. But then I am of the old school.

Me, being the entertainment in the early days. I believe it was a Penton but I really do not remember. Or maybe it was the DKW or the Hodaka. I guess it really knocked me silly to not be able to remember. I do remember the open face helmets, duckbill visors and jofas(mouth guards). This was privateer days..........
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. MICHAELPA

MICHAELPA Rookie

Feb 5, 2015
    LAKELAND FL
    You might remember... I was friends with Walter and Valerie B.
    Honda of Carolina #15

7. NORTY

NORTY Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2008
    CARLSBAD, CA, USA,
    Full Name:
    NORTY
    All of the raceways around here have become housing tracts or buildings or something else.

Now, it appears that the native Americans are picking up the slack, and getting natural terrain motocross courses, back en vogue.

Our closest facility has a few separate tracks. It's great to have a facility that's not 100 miles away!

Check out "Pala Raceway"

8. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    I know what you mean about the YZ250's, I raced one in the late 70"s, until I broke my femur at Mc Minville.. I liked my previous bike too, a Bultaco 250. I still would like an old montesa cota 348 just to play around with and not kill myself trying to be young again. this thead is good stuff!

9. NORTY

NORTY Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2008
    CARLSBAD, CA, USA,
    Full Name:
    NORTY
    Reminiscing brings a tear to my eye. I had similar bikes myself...

10. maxvonauto

maxvonauto Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2015
    Corona
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I started racing MX in the late 60's and still race today (SoCal Oldtimers). I try to ride once a week at a local track, usually some weekday to keep away from the crazy guys. If anyone does the same it would be cool to ride with someone with two things in common, MX and our Ferraris.

11. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    See you guys in an hour and a half!!!! :D :D :D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iDfmhZAiUA[/ame]

12. maxvonauto

maxvonauto Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2015
    Corona
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Saw that one coming in the first 2 seconds! One of my favorites. "Dust To Glory" is probably my second pick. Produced by Bruce Brown's son, Dana Brown. Haven't seen OAS 2 yet.