Great early MX riders | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Great early MX riders

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by AnotherDunneDeal, Apr 6, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Travis Pastrana has such a wide variety of things he is extremly good at. However Im not a big bubba fan. I hear you about the 4 strokes though, Im a two stroke lover myself.

2. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Hey beast, I was wondering if you would ever chime in on this thread. I had lost track of you and remembered our old threads from a couple of years back..........bring those photos on, especially the one of you breaking your frame.....

3. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #28 AnotherDunneDeal, Apr 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Hmmm, Harry Everts, 4 time world champion,,,,,,Stefan Everts, 10 time champion, over 100 wins....I guess he raced a bit.

1. Harry Everts, 4 world titles
    2. Harry Everts
    3. Harry Everts Puch
    4. Harry and Stefan Everts
    5. Stefan Everts, 10 world titles
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #29 AnotherDunneDeal, Apr 7, 2008
    28 years difference in technological development. Check out the difference. And I agree on the plate numbering. The top point getter should get the glory of carrying the #1 plate for a season or until he loses the #1 ranking. #2 on down,,,,,,,,,,,,I guess mine would have been something like #2,876 but the number plates were not that large.........well, maybe not that far down the list.......

I got to keep the money I won and that was it except for a small stipend. Truck, driver/mechanic, parts, expenses, 4 bikes, small (I really mean it)contract and keep what you win. It makes you really WANT to win. You had to really want to do it...

1. Mickael Pichon, 2002
    2. Sylvain Geboers, 1974

5. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #30 AnotherDunneDeal, Apr 7, 2008
    Anybody remember the downhill at Carlsbad???? Kept my knuckles white......

Part way down, wondering when I am going to land and how rough will the track surface be........remember how those chuckholes would throw the rear around on you and make you hang on in hopes you did not fall??? Dang, I hated being the entertainment........

6. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #31 AnotherDunneDeal, Apr 8, 2008
    Current riders and etc.
    1. Bubba Stewart losing it......
    2. Ricky Carmichael with left foot out correctly
    3. Sarah Whitmore Chez of Yamaha
    4. Travis Pastrana with front fork problem......

But now we are getting off the original thread subject. Still MX stuff, just not the vintage, Old Fart, stuff........

7. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    I loved riding the 2 strokes. I never had the opportunity to race on a 4-stroke so I cannot make a good comparison except for what I see at the races.

I remember a bumper sticker from a Honda dealer that said, "We've got the ring-dings on the run". Loved the ring-dings. It is like the transition to diesel at LeMans. Do I like it??? No..............

8. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #33 AnotherDunneDeal, Apr 8, 2008
  9. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I have been quite busy James so have not spent as much time on here.

Anyhow here are a few from the 80's

1. David Bailey (Blue background #1) Broc Glover (Yellow #1) Goat Breker (#19) Lakewood CO Natl. 1984 500cc class
    2. Jeff Ward Lakewood CO 1984 125cc
    3. Eric Kehoe Current Honda MX team Manager Lakewood CO Natl. 1986 125cc

http://www.jet-liners.net/mx001.jpg
    http://www.jet-liners.net/mx002.jpg
    http://www.jet-liners.net/mx003.jpg

10. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I agree that the NASCAR style numbering isn't helpful to the sport. It is the same in MotoGP, this year Dani Pedrosa switched from 26 to 2 (he finished second last year), people were very surprised and wrote about how much marketing #26 already had fro Dani.

I actually think though that the numbering has changed merchandising for MX. It used to be that you would buy a hat for the manufacturer, now you buy an individual rider's number. Same with T-shirts and jackets. At least if they didn't have the year printed on them you could get a few season's wear without looking out of date...

11. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Since people are starting to mention new riders, I thought I would go back to those that exist somewhere in between, late 80's riders rather than early 80's.

Of those riders, I have little doubt that Jean-Michel Bayle was the best of the late 80's/early 90's. He won everything (125 & 250 World Champ, 250MX/SX & 500MX in the US) in a seemingly effortless manner, got bored and switched to road racing, where a bad concussion basically ended his 500GP career too early. I don't think we will ever see an MX/SX champion that is also capable of poles and podiums at the highest level of road racing again.

If you ever get a chance to watch his style, it was perhaps the most precise and fluid of any rider I have ever seen. Too bad he was done before McGrath came into the 250's.

12. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell

I love the 2 strokes also. 450's are great and have owned and ridden them many times, but NOTHING will beat a built CR500 through the desert. I'm goint to build newer CR250 with a Pro Circuit CR500 motor this summer (Unless I can find a Service Honda 500). Should tear up the dunes pretty well.

Darrell.

13. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Damn, schools and everything. :)

I knew that there was a reason, we just never thought about it. Race prep for us was stripping lights and fenders. I remember someone had put a thingie on the top of my tank that said, "Go faster, dammit."

Actually, that's not true. I remember reading a little book written by Jeff Smith on scrambles racing. The main take-a-way was to stand up.

I also learned a lot following the local Harley dealer who was a national number. (Back then the Grand National riders were ranked 1 - 100.) That guy had a few tricks up his sleeve.

Dale

14. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Stand up, great idea. Over the whoops if you stayed glued to the seat it was like trying to ride a bucking bronc at the rodeo. 7 seconds on and then spit off into the dirt...........;>0

15. BAM

BAM Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2004
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    very cool pics... I have since lost touch with D, last I heard she moved to Cali again. I think Martin is still here, I live rather close to them and used to drive by often, but not lately. He would have the coolest trials bikes just sitting around.

16. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Except for a few with attitude, most of the old bike riders had good personalities and were guys who were very good at what they loved to do and had the opportunity to do it for a living. Wouldn't we all love that? I remember walking through the pits between motos just walking up and starting to talk to them while they reclined in their web chairs trying to relax. Sometimes if they were close enough to where we sat up I would just grab my chair and go sit with them and talk. It was much more relaxed back then and easy to be real.

Yea, Martin got rid of the Ossa bike distributorship and now is on the sales staff for them. At least he was in 2004. I do not know if he still is involved with Ossa or not....

17. FerrariF50lover

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Travis is the man hands down. He didnt ride a mx bike profesionnaly for quite a while and at Daytona a couple years ago he almost won one of the events but he fell. That really says something. Sarah looks like a very pretty girl, theres not many girls out there that ride bikes yet still look good.

Defiantly keep us updated on this swap. I have always wanted to do this in a modern CR250 chassis and frame.

18. Ispeed

Ispeed Karting

Oct 31, 2005
    Needham MA
    Full Name:
    Carl
    #43 Ispeed, Apr 8, 2008
    Defiantly keep us updated on this swap. I have always wanted to do this in a modern CR250 chassis and frame.[/QUOTE]

I built one in 2000 with a 2000 CR250 and a CR500 motor. I went racing immediately and had a great time, losing the 30+ expert championship in New England by 8 points. I built another in a 2001 CR and then bought 2 '02 Service Hondas. I had a blast racing any of those bikes; 250 handling with the big 500 engine. I cut back and just have one now, sick bike for sure. On hard slick dirt, you just tiptoe around, but in sand or deep loam it's ridiculous. Hang on!!!

I have raced at Southwick so much, here are some pics of me on the 500 there. #44 :)
    The last pic is me leaving the first turn, kind of trying not to fall off the back.

p.s. When the honda CR450F came out I was going to buy one, but got to ride one first. It felt like slow motion compared to my totally modded 500. The 450s have improved a lot since the first ones, and put out better power, but I have fun on the hot rod 500. And the 500 has a piston, 2 rings and a cylinder...not even a power valve or other fluff. Very simple top end.

19. Ispeed

Ispeed Karting

Oct 31, 2005
    Needham MA
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Agreed on Bayle, it was a disappointment to see him quit mx so soon to go road racing.
    And the old days of being able to walk through the pits, talk to the riders, see the equipment... Like a lot of other motor sports that have become big business and less people friendly.:(

20. FerrariF50lover

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate

If you dont mind me asking how much would it cost to do this? Cr250 rolling chassis and and just buy a cr500 bike and swap the motor into the modern frame? I would love to have a bike like this.

21. Ispeed

Ispeed Karting

Oct 31, 2005
    Needham MA
    Full Name:
    Carl
  22. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Wouldn't the 500 (nice bike, btw) run Open, and the 450 4-stroke run 250 class (2-stroke equivalent)?

23. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    I built one in 2000 with a 2000 CR250 and a CR500 motor. I went racing immediately and had a great time, losing the 30+ expert championship in New England by 8 points. I built another in a 2001 CR and then bought 2 '02 Service Hondas. I had a blast racing any of those bikes; 250 handling with the big 500 engine. I cut back and just have one now, sick bike for sure. On hard slick dirt, you just tiptoe around, but in sand or deep loam it's ridiculous. Hang on!!!

I have raced at Southwick so much, here are some pics of me on the 500 there. #44 :)
    The last pic is me leaving the first turn, kind of trying not to fall off the back.

p.s. When the honda CR450F came out I was going to buy one, but got to ride one first. It felt like slow motion compared to my totally modded 500. The 450s have improved a lot since the first ones, and put out better power, but I have fun on the hot rod 500. And the 500 has a piston, 2 rings and a cylinder...not even a power valve or other fluff. Very simple top end.[/QUOTE]

How did my response get on your original quote??????weird.....Anotherdunnedeal

Love the photos. The last one looks like you almost slipped off the rear of the seat when the powerband hit. I bet that beast is a ball to ride. I tried to ride the old orange TM400 Suzuki back in 1971 and almost killed myself. Even John Desoto said it was an almost impossible bike to ride, especially in competition. He said that if the earth stopped spinning you could just bring out a TM400, fire it up and twist the throttle and get the earth spinning again with the torque the machine had.

A friend of mine who owned a bike shop back in the mid 60's put a Triumph single cylinder thumper engine in a Yamaha dual-purpose bike frame. He called it a "Tramaha". I rode it several times. I think it was way ahead of its time....sorry, no pictures.

24. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #49 AnotherDunneDeal, Apr 9, 2008
    Here are some photos of the 1971 Suzuki TM400 Cyclone.....arguably the most dangerous MX bike ever built.

Also a photo of the Triumph engine that my friend put in his Yamaha dual purpose bike in the mid 60's.

And a 7 cylinder radial engine bike. Who would ever ride that thing????

1. 1971 Suzuki TM400
    2. 1971 Suzuki TM400 in usual position
    3. 1971 Suzuki TM400 trying to restart the earth to turning.
    4. 1971 Suzuki TM400 in the desert
    5. 1971 Suzuki TM400 over the jump
    6. Triumph single cylinder thumper engine like my friend put in his Yamaha dirt bike frame in the mid 60's. I know this is a BSA engine but the Triumph looked like this in the frame.
    7. 7 cylinder radial Rotec engine in a bike. Who would stretch a leg over that thing?????????Talk about a real b*ll buster.

25. Ispeed

Ispeed Karting

Oct 31, 2005
    Needham MA
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Awesome pics, sorry to get off topic...but as you know "Long live the 2 stroke!!!"
    What are we going to do without 2 stroke smoke and the ring ding sound????