Great Driving road near Scottsdale? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Great Driving road near Scottsdale?

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by jlm348, Aug 21, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #26 arizonaitalian, Mar 29, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    I’m doing this drive (and more, onto the San Juan river and then Santa Fe) in two weeks. Staying in that best western in eager twice (once on the first night and again when returning from New Mexico).

Question for each of you:

- which road are you saying is “through the salt river canyon”?

- which road is the “short road out of springerville”?

Thanks!

2. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    The Best Western in Eager is not bad. It is not the Hyatt Regency, but is clean and comfortable.

US 60 from Globe to Show Low goes thru Salt River Canyon. Not sure what the short road that jkdad refers to. Maybe AZ 261. That road often closed in winter. You can check AZ DOT on conditions for that road. The long road I have been on is US 191 from Springerville to Morenci. Some nice spots to pull over for photo ops. As you approach Morenci, you will drive through an active copper mine. There is place to pull over to view the open pit operations just north of Morenci. BTW, I believe best days are Tues to Thurs as the traffic should be fairly light and not heavily patrolled by the local constabulary

Steve

3. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
  4. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    261 is correct, might still be closed this time of year.

5. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That road is an absolute blast even keeping with in the speed limit. Make sure you have a lot of time allotted for taking it. The first time I took it I was trying to get to Albuquerque from Safford to catch a flight. Needless to say I missed the flight but found a really neat and beautiful road which I later went back in my Porsche to drive.

6. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Freeport McMoran runs the copper mine which is the largest in North America from my research.

7. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I did a huge loop last week:

Day 1 Scottsdale to Eager (with all the side trips and some doubling-back)
    Day 2 Eager to Navajo Dam on the San Juan (flat tire on a 50-mile dirt road in Indian Territory...sucked...luckily the spare worked)
    Day 3&4 - Fly Fishing on the San Juan
    Day 4 afternoon - Drive from San Juan river to Santa Fe (over the mountain route)
    Day 5 Santa Fe to Scottsdale (via 40 and then south to near Payson and then home (didn't do the southern loop down to Morenci and Globe)

A total of around 1300 miles.

Highlight roads by far were 260 (between Payson and McNary, but far better were 273 and 261 just west of Springerville. Nobody on the roads (except Antelope, Deer and Elk). Yeah, both 273 and 261 were closed half way up, but up and back on both was great.

Took the Jeep Grand Cherokee, no way I could have taken the Ferrari on that trip (lots of dirt roads in New Mexico).

The Best Western in Eager is perfectly fine btw. A great two-day, weekend trip up to there for an overnight, and then down to Morenci and Globe would be a great sports car driving weekend. I will do that in the future.

8. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #33 arizonaitalian, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Oh, also gotta post a pic from a couple of weeks ago when I made the roughly one hour drive to Bartlett Lake. The road from Carefree area to the lake was basically empty on a weekday afternoon. Great run in the Challenge Stradale - well, except for the 30 miles of freeway and straight Pima road to get to the 13 miles of curves at the end...but, well, that's better than par-for-the-boring-road-to-good-road-ratio course of living here. At least one gets 13x2=26 miles of fun for the 86 mile round trip investment.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caphill likes this.
  9. JerseyBland

JerseyBland Karting

Apr 29, 2018
    Chandler AZ
    Full Name:
    Scott B
    Next time you make this run give me a shout...I’ll follow you through the twisties :)

Wife n I just did 17 from phoenix up to Sedona, had dinner at Amara, and made the drive back at night...was fantastic...but the only thing better than taking a Ferrari on a drive like that, is taking two ;)

10. Zack Hawker

Zack Hawker Karting

Feb 27, 2018
    Paradise Valley, Az
    Full Name:
    Zack Az Realtor
    I took the advice for the Highway 88 drive. AMAZING. Only an hour to Tortilla Flats and the roads were perfect. I have a gated 430 and it was mostly 2nd and 3rd gear through the turns. An F1 would sound amazing here with all the upshifting and downshifting, you would sound like a professional F1 driver. Most of the cars would pull over as well and get out of your way, that may of been the way I was driving and the sound behind them but whatever works.... Grabbed a burger and some fudge in Tortilla Flats and headed back to N Scottsdale. All in the trip was about 3.5 hours. Just perfect.
    Thanks for the recommendation as I just got the car and it was my first real "drivers" trip.. My plan is to check all of the recommendations off the list.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

agup48 likes this.
  11. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    agup48 likes this.
  12. My AZFerrari

My AZFerrari Karting

Sep 16, 2018
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Sean Thompson
    You should join next Sunday, a trip to Bagdad for the roads and back through Congress and Yarnell hill is a blast.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    So the road to Tortilla Flats has been resurfaced?

I gave that road up a couple of years ago when I attempted to drive it my Challenge Stradale. Its was a brutal shake fest. I made a u-turn after 10 minutes of torture. (and imho CS's don't really have a super hard suspension).

Dino - you were blessed to have people use the pullouts. I've not had that luck in prior years even in a bright red ferrari. Frustrating road with the tourists.

14. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I think Yarnell hill is the most fun I've had on a public road in Arizona. Mid-day on a weekday was the only time I'd go up there (to avoid traffic). Its fast and has sweepers, and two lanes. So when its empty you can apex clip and there is enough speed to be thrilling. Used to drive it up and down 2-3 times in a row. Haven't done it in many years though. (mostly because there is a sucky, boring, straightline 100-mile drive to get there)

My AZFerrari likes this.
  15. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Zack - Nice choice and congrats on the gated 430!

16. Zack Hawker

Zack Hawker Karting

Feb 27, 2018
    Paradise Valley, Az
    Full Name:
    Zack Az Realtor
    I will definitely try sounds amazing, unfortunately my Sundays are like most peoples Mondays as I am a Real Estate Broker. I will touch base prior if can make it and thanks for the invite.

My AZFerrari likes this.
  17. Zack Hawker

Zack Hawker Karting

Feb 27, 2018
    Paradise Valley, Az
    Full Name:
    Zack Az Realtor
    Tortilla Flats roads are now perfect and resurfaced. Ill have to try Yarnell for sure, looks awesome on google maps. Thanks Bud.....

18. My AZFerrari

My AZFerrari Karting

Sep 16, 2018
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Sean Thompson
    Keep in touch and let me know, we’re leaving at 9 from the west valley.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. Rafal'sGTO

Rafal'sGTO Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 19, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Raf
    I may just add South Mountain into the mix of what was already recommended. Going to check out Dobbins Lookout there with our AZ supercar group this weekend.

20. Prashant Jolepalem

Mar 31, 2020
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    PJ
    I just took my Mercedes c43 there yesterday. it's nice drive with good views. The twisties are pretty tight and tough to take some of them at speed. There was a lot of traffic too that spoiled some of the fun.

21. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Early morning works for Canyon Lake.

S Mountain is great, but there can be a lot of cyclists.