Grand Prix Legends | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Grand Prix Legends

Discussion in 'F1' started by Gilles27, Nov 4, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    This is quite simply because they did not rev as high back then. Even the big revving Ferrari only rev's to something like 9000rpm (from memory) compared to 17000rpm of modern F1 cars.

With GPL you have to learn how to drift a car ... mlost modern sims do not even have to worry about that as it is a bit of a lost art thanks to wings. Drifting makes driving on the limit VERY fault intolerant!, as you cannot change line easily and quickly.

Pete

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ok, understood.

I also realize how difficult GPL is, but still have the nagging feeling none of you ever played GP3 or GP4. While it is true you don't have to learn how to drift, you still have to move it on the edge of tire adhesion to be competitive. When your tires chirp, you're probably in the zone.

Dunno what games you 've been playing, but I can tell you that GP4 is not for the X-box.

Other question about GPL:
    You guys mentioned playing it against each other. I don't have a fast internet connection, but was thinking about setting up a second PC in my house for a second human player. How should these machines be connected? Via a regular network cable and a hub or via their serial ports? How does the multi player work anyway? Do you still do qualifying runs and then the PCs control the rest of the field. Does one PC control that or both?

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes I have never played GP4, and was not attempting to put it down (actually I think driving a REAL modern race car with wings is easier than a low grip old racer that is dancing under you and trying it's hardest to find a way off the track :)), as you have said it is difficult so I believe you ... plus somebody else I used to work with used to play GP3 and loved the fact that you could play with so many settings, etc. I used to play the really early versions and enjoyed it alot, and IMO it was the best game way back then.

So returning back to GPL, as for connecting 2 computers, I believe you can connect via com ports, and no network card is required, just a lead. One game is the boss the other joins that game.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong :)

Pete

4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well, I did a little search and found the manual to download. Even read it. Looks like the setup changes are just about the same as in GP4 (without the wings of course, which makes a setup actually more complex).

You're right PSK, of course a non winged car is a lot harder to keep on the road. Real and in the sim. When I'm in an accident in GP4 and ruin my front or rear wing, it changes your braking and turning speeds dramatically, no question.

The manual doesn't tell much about the hookup of multiple machines, so I guess it is trial by fire. Also found a video clip on line of a guy who networked three machines so he gets peripheral vision. Haven't figured out how to do, but the temptation is there. It looked awesome on his clip.

Ok, I hear you: First I need to learn to drive these cars. Alright, I shut up.

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Now that would be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope to spend a little time this weekend attempting to get my computer up and running again ... but I think my hard drive is toast, and as I do not backup my home computer, er, I will have to reinstall and start again with GPL :( ... bummer as I was on a version 1.2 which I got from the internet, plus I had Brands Hatch track which is very challenging :).

Pete

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well, I was playing GPL yesterday and have to say the thing frustratingly difficult. There are no brakes (well there are, but without the wings, the braking distance is sooooo much longer) and the car is just wiggling through every corner. I'll have to read the book on 'Drifting', maybe that helps.

Anyway I'll setup a second machine with GPL to have human one on ones, I think that is the way to go against this unfailable robots.

PSK: A reinstallation with the new version of the patch is really easy (see below for Gilles' link). Works immediately. Just add Brands Hatch (love that track!).

7. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Andreas, Monza is the best track to start out on. It's a short lap, and it throws in drifting, balance, heavy braking and drafting. How do you like Spa?

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    To be honest I have only dared Monza knowing fair well, that it is the easiest. After going off spectacularly in Parabolica I set my breaking point now well ahead, so that's no longer an issue, but the Lesmos still give me a headache. The general feeling I have about the car is like driving a boat. It is incredibly sluggish in breaking and turning.

Since I'm a bit of a sim guy, I know this behaviour from landing the Space Shuttle as opposed to a regular jet. You move the stick, nothing happens and like a few seconds later it starts to turn or brake or something.

The manual compares it to driving on ice. I disagree. I have done that in a real car. I manage starts etc, but the behavior in turns is most peculiar. Maybe I'm simply missing the stronger clues coming from the force feedback wheel in other sims (like GP4) and the audio clues of chirping tires. Basically I'm always stunned when the car goes out of control, whereas in GP4 I know when I crossed the line and will go into the boonies.

9. STEEDA30

STEEDA30 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Atlanta(Vinings),Ga.
    Full Name:
    Rick Charles
  10. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Interestingly, I used to like the feel of my non-feedback wheel a little better for GPL. I think the "wheel-sawing" required for the game felt more natural without feedback. Can you disable it?