Grand Am 400@ VIR Oct 8-9 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Grand Am 400@ VIR Oct 8-9

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by Tracktoy, Oct 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#51 Ricambi America, Oct 7, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Tracktoy

Tracktoy Rookie

Aug 27, 2005
    Raleigh N.C.
    Full Name:
    Jason H.

What time, otherwise I was rolling up there early enough to see some of practice.

3. ECTurboGSX

ECTurboGSX Formula 3

Dec 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I was thinking sometime between 7 and 8.

4. eclipse185

eclipse185 Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    Statesville, NC
    Full Name:
    Rob Whitener
    JRR: Are you still interested in going? The golf tournament at Myrtle Beach was cancelled after two rounds being rained out. We all came home today hoping tomorrow would be good enough to play here. If we can't, and the way it is raining here now I doubt we can, I was going to try to get up there to watch the cup race at 2:30 pm.

5. bruceski3

bruceski3 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    East TN
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #55 bruceski3, Oct 7, 2005
    It rained pretty much all day this morning (Friday) but it looks like the weather is clearing up for Sunday's Race. I left Gatlinburg TN and took 321 north to I-40 and got to the VIR gate at 3am. Helped Bob and his son set up the Ez Tent for everyone that will be attending on Sunday. Also helped set up there tents to sleep that night. I will not be able to attend Sunday's race since I have to work. Hope to see you guys at the Eurofestival though.

Go Autometrics Porsche Team, and Turner Motorsports BMW Race Team !!!.

Here are a few shots I took this morning....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Yeah, sounds cool. Call me on 391-xxxx anytime and we'll work out the details.

dp

7. eclipse185

Oct 25, 2004
    Statesville, NC
    Full Name:
    Rob Whitener
    Will call around 9 am to discuss.

8. rated///M

rated///M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Trevor Ely
    He is definitely da man will be at the hospitality tent also.

See everyone there.

9. ECTurboGSX

ECTurboGSX Formula 3

Dec 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Raleigh area, meet at the McDonalds on Harrison Ave, Exit 287 on I-40 at 7:30AM.

I'll be on a yellow Ducati. If its raining, I will show up and either ride with someone or not go at all. If you're planning on meeting us, please put down your name and what you plan on showing up in so that we don't leave anyone.

1) Eric - Yellow Ducati

10. eclipse185

Oct 25, 2004
    Statesville, NC
    Full Name:
    Rob Whitener
    Okay, I went today and I was the only Ferrari there! resnow has a picture to prove it. The car doesn't quite look the same with the top up and mud slung up the sides but the racing was good and worth the detailing time. Not that I will do that much, but I did think about stopping by JRR's for some help.

Anyway, cars numbers 25 and 26 both finished even with the minor off course excursions. Luckily, #26 is in good enough shape for me to be able to drive at a DE next weekend, also at VIR. Hope the weather is better by then!

11. ECTurboGSX

ECTurboGSX Formula 3

Dec 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Well, no one showed up in Cary this morning, so I'm staying home. I didn't really feel like riding up alone in this weather on the bike. Oh well, I'll have to watch it from home. I'll let you guys know if I see you on TV.

12. DMClark

DMClark Karting

Feb 24, 2004
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dean Clark
    From what I am seeing on SpeedTV, looks like you guys are seeing plenty of action from where you setup.

13. resnow

resnow Formula Junior

May 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bob Snow
    Great weekend at VIR but I completely understand why many did not show up. It was a VERY WET weekend. At 0600 Friday I had the Ferrari & pickup loaded and ready to hit the road but wimped out at the last moment and left the Ferrari home. Was more than surprised when the silver 360 spider showed up next to my silver Ram 1500 0n Saturday and then again this morning when a red/tan 348 from the W-S area arrived. The Corvette Club had over 30 cars there today and I saw an Aston Martin and literally scores of Porsches. Sorry I did so little to uphold Ferrari's head count but I did spread the F-gospel to a horde of P-car campers surrounding me. For those that didn't come, the race today was one of the most interesting and competitive in a long time, certainly better than current F1. The weather today was the best of the weekend and I even saw the sun for a fleeting moment, but no rain. The VIR crowd on Friday was bigger than most Saturday crowds and Saturday's crowd was bigger than most past Sundays. Today nearly the entire infield was full. Thanks to both Lee Davis (Flow BMW) and Bill Black (Bill Black Cad) for sharing their spaces and food with the Ferrari Fan Club. Also, thanks to team Crawford for their hospitality and letting me spend a little time with Milka Duno.

Bob

14. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Bob, I would have been there but busted my front spoiler in Atlanta, should be fixed by tomarrow.

As for the Rolex, I saw them at Daytona 24, it was awesome, and plan to go in 2006.

F1, Kimi came from the back to win!

15. Tracktoy

Tracktoy Rookie

Aug 27, 2005
    Raleigh N.C.
    Full Name:
    Jason H.
    #65 Tracktoy, Oct 9, 2005
    Bob

I actually did make it out but not til today, I spent a lot of time getting photos and tons of footage on video. I did however get there a little later than planned as the lady and I went to the Stones concert and got home rather late Saturday eve. I was hoping to come by the tent and meet a few other chatters but I promised to bring lots of video footage home for my brother and girlfriend.

I have decided that I will camp out next year and make a weekend out of it,I just hope to meet up with you guys at a future event.

A few pic from a very wet Sunday

16. rated///M

rated///M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Trevor Ely
    Was out there Saturday and Sunday at the Flow BMW tent, was a lot of fun despite the rain...which in all actuality made it all the more exciting to watch.

17. DMClark

DMClark Karting

Feb 24, 2004
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dean Clark
    Hopefully I'll make it out when then return in April next year.

As for comparing it to F1... well maybe not this weekend, the race this weekend was crazy.

18. mottorats

mottorats Rookie

May 12, 2005
    Greensboro, NC
    Full Name:
    Dan Routh
  19. resnow

resnow Formula Junior

May 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bob Snow
    Dan,

Great shots! I have added them to my screensaver. There are some other good ones at http://www.grandamerican.com/Events/Gallery.asp

In 2006, this event will be at VIR in April, the weekend before our FCA track weekend there.

Bob

20. eclipse185

Oct 25, 2004
    Statesville, NC
    Full Name:
    Rob Whitener
    Another tidbit about the 2006 race at VIR. Grand Am is considering making the cup race for the ST and GS classes a 12 or maybe even a 24 hour race. I will be camping there if that happens. Resnow, I don't think we will get much sleep if they in fact have that kind of race.

21. resnow

resnow Formula Junior

May 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bob Snow
    Sleep??? Hell, I didn't get much sleep for a 2-3/4 hour race!

22. resnow

resnow Formula Junior

May 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bob Snow
    . . . and camping was at a real premium this year with all the hospitality tents in prime viewing spots. I've got a better idea than camping for next year because there probably won't be ANY front row spots left after the companies and club members set up. More on this later after I work out some details.

Bob