Governors Trophy Race Dec. 1956 | FerrariChat

Governors Trophy Race Dec. 1956

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Joseph Trybulec, Feb 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Joseph Trybulec

Feb 11, 2019
    Bentonville, Arkansas USA
    Full Name:
    Joseph Trybulec
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I am a new member and am looking for photos or film from the Dec. 1956 Governors Trophy Race Nassau, Bahamas. I have photos to share.

Thanks,

Joe

2. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    To be used where exactly?

I may put you together with some of the biggest sports car racing historians in the country,
    but they would have to know where the images are being used, etc.

BHW

3. Joseph Trybulec

Feb 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Joseph Trybulec
    Barton

Chevrolet was introducing their new Rochester Fuel Injection for the 1957 model year. In October 1956 they decided to prepare three Corvette race cars to run in the Dec. 1956 Governors Trophy Race the last FIA sanctioned race of the year. A first for an American race car. All the key GM players were there. Harley Earl, Bill Mitchell, Duntov etc

14 years ago one of the three cars surfaced and I bought it. It is unrestored and complete other than an overpaint in1961. Recently with the help of GM CEO Mary Bsrra their Heritage center sent me the 186 page Engineering Workorder that includes my race car and others.

I continue to seek additional photos and info for my car. GM did not send their Corporate photographers to this event so I am relying on the European teams that did.

Shelby drove a Ferrari which is next to my car in the picture I posted. I saw that Ferrari fully restored about 10 years ago at Shelby’s place in California. The owner from Colorado brought it to the event for a photo op with Shelby.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Likewise I have some pictures of other cars at the 1956 event that I am happy to share.

Joe

4. Joseph Trybulec

Feb 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Joseph Trybulec
    One of the things I am looking for is the cargo manifest of the SS Nassau that carried Race Cars to the event. Here is my car coming off the ship.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Is the car now blue?

We had may have had one at our Palm Beach Supercar Weekend event back in 2007. In fact,
    the car was one of the center pieces of the event complete with a gallery of framed images that
    was on display in the VIP.

Harley Earl's daughter was very much a part of this event and involved with pre-event PR and
    on site presentation.

BHW

6. Joseph Trybulec

Feb 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Joseph Trybulec
    The Ferrari, Shelby drove at the Governors Trophy Race in Dec. 1956 was red then and red when I saw it at Shelby’s event in California.

My car was white with blue stripes and was painted gold in 1961.

Harley had a strong connection in Miami and his grandson Richard lives in Palm Beach. Richard promotes his grandfather full time... as the Davinci of Detroit.

DePortago drove for Ferrari at the race and is seen in film with the Harley Earl crowd. All the greats were there except Fangio who was kidnapped in Cuba.

7. Joseph Trybulec

Feb 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Joseph Trybulec
  8. Joseph Trybulec

Feb 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Joseph Trybulec
    Harley

Had a custom Corvette built for his son Jerry in 1956. One of 3 known as an SR2. The Jerry Earl SR2 is blue.

9. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Maybe that's it.

I'd still contact sports car racing historians.

If you're in South Florida this weekend, come visit the Miami Concours happening in the
    Design District!

BHW