Got sent to this section by 456 guys.... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Got sent to this section by 456 guys....

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by dogdoc97, Feb 7, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Well Doc,
    I did not go looking for my 400i. It found me through a friend.
    I am not 55 any more but I do still have the Porsche 356 Super I bought in 1967. And the 1940 Zephyr I built and completed 5 years ago. Each is a different driving experience.
    It boils down to whom you are trying to impress. Is it yourself or the multitude you pass by? The 400i will not turn heads and that is part of its alure.
    I had the 356 out today to warm up the brakes, again. Someone actually followed me home to ask about the car. It turned out that he has a 356 SC cab so I guess it was OK.
    That will not happen with a 400. No one knows what the car is and so they ignore it.
    But if you want the Ferrari experience without the crowd factor, buy one.
    Also, I must admit, I do not even know what a 456 looks like.
    Greg

2. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I just bought a 2005 Panoz Esperante GT; crazy story; car sat on a showroom at autobugatti in Quebec for 7 years; they were actually a dealer at one time, 533 miles, asking price on the sticker $89K, their price, $69,900my price.....$49K....
    so I say to my son someone is following us; pull into the neighborhood pizza place and the guy said he just had to know what it was, felt like it was the most beautiful car he had ever seen,lol

I do apprecaite your perspective on the matter. Doc

3. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I think about 200 of these were built in Florida about 10 years ago.
    The only reason I remember it at all is that I got beaten out of a sale for parts to built them.
    A' Dios amigo,
    Greg

4. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    The factory is still open and they will service your car; they now do race technology for Lotus and Nissan to name a few;thye actually did the design work on the Nissan DELTA WING that ran at the Petite Lemans this year at Road Atlanta. Danny Panoz that I met says he would like to build road cars again soon...Doc

5. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Personally I think you should only go for a 400 if you have a passion for this car. If you're on the fence because you're unsure if its sporting enough you may have missed the whole point of this model.

Although things may be improving slowly, the majority of the car fraternity perceive this car as a pretty undesirable oddity and in some ways a bit of a laughing stock.

Those of us who love them simply don't care - it's not about perception, it's what the car is that matters and not what it isn't. I always look forward to getting mine out of the garage and tend to choose it over my other classics almost every time. (Note that I used the work classic, not future classic which is more appropriate for the 456).

It's expensive to run, quirky to own, not for the feint hearted, probably a ticking time bomb reliability wise and doubtful will ever provide a return on your investment but if the car has a meaning to you it just doesn't matter.

At the end of the day its only a car but think carefully before joining our exclusive club of misfits - these are not the easiest car in the world to move on if you change your mind.

6. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Well said Russell. Like any exotic if you decide to sell you don't get all your money back.. that's just how it is for a devalued classic. Maybe in 10 or 20 years it will be a different story.

For those of us who ALSO have a vintage Mustang fastback... these cars feel PLENTy fast and handle great for a big car.

7. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    #32 Ashman, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    "Big" is a relative term. Here is what a "big" Ferrari 400i looks like compared to a Toyota Camry:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    John- They only look big in photos. I am always surprised how small they are when standing near one. Pretty, classic lines.

9. dogdoc97

dogdoc97 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I know they are odd, old and out of the question for most, and I know they are not cheap to maintain, and NO I have NEVER bought a car for investment with the exception of a BMW Z8 last year,the James Bond car, i KNEW THE PRICE OF THIS WAS RIDICULOUS... stole it at $85 K, they sell as many of you know for the low $100K-125 still some 13 years later, and I did just that in 3 weeks; nor am I looking to get all my money back. At 54 I am not naive about cars, Ferrari maybe, although I have read enough for sure over the last 15 months, just not sure what will fill the 4 seat need.

As one of you said; it is not easy to sell when your ready, BUT then neither is the Mondial or the 456 as I keep hearing; most folks want the newer sleeker stuff....I tend to buy the older classic stuff. My 5 motorcycles are all 1970-80's era as well. thnx to all, Doc

10. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I mean "big" compared to the other Ferraris of the era.... Obviously they are quite small compared to today's cars.

11. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I see, that is correct although the Queen Mary 365 GT 2+2 is at least longer than the 400i. Not sure about height,width or weight. I suspect the 400i is maybe bigger on some of those dimensions.

The picture of the 400i being dwarfed by a Ferrari 599 comes to mind.