Got a Speeding Ticket Today :( | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Got a Speeding Ticket Today :(

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by silvertt, Nov 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    You have to remember we have 40 or 50 million cars on an area almost exactly HALF the size of Texas. And that doesn't include the foreign cars and especially trucks which account for a huge part of the Autobahn traffic. Although sometimes it's clearly for the money only, I acutally see the point in most of the speed traps set up by the police.

2. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    I sincerely meant that ignorance is temporary and stupidity forever. I am hoping he is merely ignorant.

But, considering that he accused a guy (a Cop no-less) of being on-the-take, with zero grounds to make that assertion, yes, I believe that was stupid.

How would you Sir, have put it?

3. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    That's right, although the Autobahn speed limit isn't that strictly enforced in comparison to those on country or town roads. Can't count the number of speed traps etc I've seen in towns, but very few on the Autobahn, mostly around construction sites.

Less technical stuff today. My Dad told me some of his fellow "students" had to change spark plugs at the test, today you only do some very basic stopping distance calculations ("Going 100km/h, your stopping distance will be 100 meter", stuff like that) and have to learn the very basics of not how the car works, but mainly how it stops (-> focused on security), like the difference between a disk and a drum brake. Took me nearly half a year - 2 months of weekly theory courses, 3 months of actual driving. And yes, it is indeed REALLY expensive, I paid 2000 Euro for the car and motorcycle license (with the first car test fluked, damn truck parking in front of the speed limit sign...)

Fully agree :D Although it is only a minority, especially middle aged Audi/BMW/Mercedes drivers. Can get really annoying when you're on the left Autobahn lane cruising with 160km/h (100 mph), right lane congested with trucks from eastern Europe, and some moron who compensates for his questionable manhood with his 400hp Mercedes comes shooting from behind with 220km/h (150mph) flashing his lights having set the indicators left and nearly starts to bit in his steering wheel when you don't want to drive straight under a Ukrainian truck as soon as he's only 2 meters behind you. As I said, only a minority, but can get annoying. Becomes an interesting situation btw when the slower driver is from France where they usually don't care for dents and scratches in their cars :D

Simply: Yes.

It is actually very common in former East Germany. I think the problems we had adapting to it in the former West Germany were mainly caused by the mentioned driver's education. You're constantly being told that ignoring a red light is one of the worst sins you can actually commit, and now there's the new "Right on Red" rule which we hadn't had before. So many (especially older) people were confused and feared passing a red light that they eventually repealed it.

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

To suggest that any member here who is a police officer must be doing something illegal to afford his car is absurd, and insulting, even more than the unyielding questions we ask other members here when they post up what they own or drive.

I know 285ferrari personally. To question his integrity makes me angry, not only because his integrity is beyond reproach, but because of some of the great things he's done for other fchatters along the way.

Before you go attacking someone, it's important to think about what you're posting. Think about whether it is a personal attack (Against the rules here) or a political comment (also not allowed in General Forums), or simply a cheesy attempt to slam a guy with whom you disagree, and can't find any skilled way to match wits with.

Without question in this case an apology is in order from quickstrike. I'm sure we'll never see one, but it's due.

Robbie, I hope you rise above the chatter and continue to do your excellent work both here and on the streets. As to anyone who doubts him, just drop me a PM and I'll be happy to try and explain it further.

Dave M.

5. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    There are just as many lazy police officers as construction workers and accountants etc. Them being police officers doesn't make them special in the sense that they are above board.

I just found it funny that you started and ended your post with the word "respectful" and used "ignorant" and "stupid" several times. A back handed helping hand is still technically a helping hand I guess.

6. lxcoupe

lxcoupe Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    it's funny that you can't see your own attitude.

if you conduct yourself on the job the way you do on here, i feel bad for the tax payers of wherever it is you work.....i can understand why your wife left you

everyone is stupid, ignorant, and wrong except you. oh and if i'm ever in MD i'll look you up, and if you ever make it to florida let me know.
    btw, post count and time on a web site doesn't make you smart..... you are a moron and that is forever also.

7. cove26

cove26 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Art you don't seem to get it, your "unique" item on ebay does not mean anything! You know how many hands your "unique" item could have passed through before it ended up on ebay? I don't know where you get the right to call being a cop alot less dangerous. Tell me, have you ever kicked in the door to a drug dealers house to do a raid? As you kick in that door you have a pit bull comming at you and a dealer firing a gun at you and you have to make a split second decision as to what your going to do? I didn't think you so. And why? because you never had the guts to do that, the only thing you have the guts for is to sit behind a desk to argue with a judge and make a unreasonbably high amount of money for nothing. Until you have walked a mile in a Police Officers shoes, or worked at least one shift, I suggest you just shut your mouth, seeing as how everything you say makes no sense!

Oh by the way, I still have that "unique" item for sale if you want it! Tool

8. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    You bet man. Sorry for the misunderstanding to you and to all who read this portion of the thread.

Germany is no third world hole by a long shot. I have been to lots of them though. Germany is a first rate country and exceeds America in many aspects IMHO. That is one reason why I have stayed here so long. It has many things America had and lost along the way that I wish it would re-import (like cleanliness, respect for authority, fresh baked bread, etc.) and I wish Germany would not import so much from America. Conversely, there are some things I do not like about Germany, but they are not such to instigate a row in this forum over.

The Germans are very law-abiding people, sometimes to a fault. The Polizei perhaps the friendliest Law Enforcement Officers I have ever met. The point I was trying to make is that the Polizei do not have to accept the level of crap many of these US posters imply they give US Cops. I hope it will stay that way here, but sadly, you and I both know it likely will not.

No civil servant should have to put up with that garbage.

Maybe we'll meet sometime. Until then, Take Care and Stay Safe.

Mark

9. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    I have personally seen over my lifetime the over enforcement of speed limits in small country towns and villages ruin the villages economy. I can think of one town in particular that was once a hustle and bustle little fun place to visit. One officer writing tickets for 1 mph over the limit has cleared that town of ever business because people/drivers including me avoid the place like the plague.

10. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    One of the arguments I have heard here is that the police are ruining peoples life by writing tickets for speeding and DWI where in the old days they would use their own judgement if you were being wreckless or not and maybe let you go where now they arrest you or write a ticket resulting in a fine. I think the blame here is misdirected. It's not the cops fault it's society and lawyers fault. If they let someone off and that person goes and gets in a wreck down the road because they had too much to dring or they were speeding then the affected parties will want to sue the policeman, the dept and the city. Don't believe me just look at the thread in off topic in the thread on Hulk Hogan's son crashing his car. There were many questions raised in there about the liability of the officers and the cities where Nick had been ticketed or pulled over before for speeding and racing.

11. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    If you are DWI behind the wheel you should get a ticket and have your car impounded. If you are doing 90 in a residential zone where there are houses=ticket. I am only opposed to the speed limits on interstates. It makes it so hard to travel this country in a quick manner. I-95 could eaisly be 20-25 MPH faster than it is now. people travel that fast on it now, and not just a few people, most people.

12. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    For starters: that unique item went on sale shortly after it was sold. And, believe it or not, since it was stolen, the person with it didn't have title, and it should have been recovered. At that point, a brief discussion with that individual about possession of stolen property might have achieved the name of the person who'd sold it to them, or information as how he got it. Poor polilce work.

As for your personal insults about what I do or don't do, you haven't a clue. I have done things that entail quite a bit more risk than anything you've ever done, and probably have quite a few more broken bones that you'd care to imagine. Let me ask you this simple question: have you broken over 25 bones in your life? I suspect not. I have, and continued that same endeavor. When you start telling people that they don't have guts, all you are doing is ensuring that everyone who reads your posts understands you lack a certain cognitive ability.

I do understand that there is a certain amount of risk in that job (police work). I also understand that cops sometimes avoid risk if they can. An example: a friend, who's on or was on the SFPD, got a call that a shooting with automatic weapons was occurring at a particular restraunt. He took his time, he was only armed with a 38, and going against someone with a machine gun wasn't something he wanted to do. Don't blame him.

If I had to bet, you spend 99.9% of your time either ticketing old ladies, or pretending you are actually functioning as a real cop.

Art

13. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Below is the post I was referring to in this thread

Full Name: Paul Colberg

Wow, I see some pretty way out there people coming into this discussion.

First off, I dont like crazy drivers. Speeding in and of itself isnt a problem, but excessive speed in areas with low speed limits is crazy, so no excuse. I live on a 30 MPH street. Everyone thinks its a freakin dragstrip. I grew up in a Duluth Mn. Boy, driving like a nut would pi$$ people off so bad you hoped the cops found you first. I knew people that had car windows broken and tires slashed for pi$$ing people off for driving like an idiot. Im not arguing that its right, just that people dont like whacko drivers. If you can go over 60 MPH in a 30 MPH zone and not know how fast you were driving, you need to go back to drivers ED.

Second, anyone who thinks speeding tickets arent ALL about revenue, and NOTHING about safety, needs thier head examined.

As for police officers, I personally think we could do with a lot less of them. Of all I have known or ever met in my life, maybe 5% of them were what I would consider decent human beings. It used to be state troopers were the greatest. Now there just another cop. Everything has become so intolerant. Kids get no breaks whatsoever. Drinking, they are ALWAYS arrested. Speeding, they are ALWAYS ticketed. Its like the show COPS. I cant watch it, it just starts to make my blood boil. Yeah, there are icky people out there, no doubt. But the enforcement of so many laws ISNT HELPING. Legalise drugs, leave people alone, go after real criminals.

Steveny 360, I wouldnt have sat there and let some cop tell me anything unless I was under arrest. BS. I would have told her I'm leaving, have a nice day. If you want to take a statement, come to my home. This total authority crap is just that. Its crap.

As to the thread stating all the things weve been "allowed" to do in the last 50 odd years, most of them were all "rights" we already had that were taken away by the lefties back in the 20's and 30's. So dont make a big deal about giving us back something we shouldnt have ever had taken away in the first place. As for civil rights, well DUH!, all men were CREATED equal. As for womens right to vote, I dont really care, as statistics have proven it hasnt changed the way the country votes. Im glad they have the right, I just dont think it changed anything.

14. cove26

cove26 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Mike

Actually I beg to differ. I am a Police Officer in a busy city and have been for several years. Do you really think that if the Police asked a guy where he got something he is gonna say? No. Most thieves say "oh I got it from my friend....." and that "friend's name is usually a street name that is made up.

As far as risk goes, that little scenario I described about doing a raid on a drug dealers home is a case that I was involved in. I have conducted over 100 raids on drug houses and more times than not, drug dealers have guns. Just recently, a fellow Officer was pursuing a robbery suspect and was calling for backup, as I was going to back him up, mind you just as my shift ended, my vehicle was T-Boned by another vehicle. I was severly injured and had to be cut out of the cruiser witht he jaws of life. I was knocked unconcoius and suffered several broken ribs, a concussion, a split head, bruised bones in my leg, a punctured lung, and 2 herniated disks that pinched a nerve in my back. The disks resulted in me having to get surgery. This happened almost a year ago and I am still not abl to work on the street yet. So you telling us that being a Police Officer is not dangerous is BS. I make $70,000 a year to put on a bulletproof vest and carry a gun and know that when I leave my house to go to work, I may not be making it back home. I understood all of this when I became a Police Officer and I would not give it up for anything.

What it boils down to is this, I don't care if you have a dislike for Police, alot of people do and that is your thing, but to come out and say that we do not do a dangerous job and be pissed that you get a ticket when you break the law is ridiculous. As others have said before, there are bad apples in various Police Deptartments yes, but there are bad apples in every line of work. Crooked lawyers, Phony Doctors, Corporate embezelment, and the list can go on. The things you do that involve risk are probably few and far between, my risk is everyday. Don't forget, when we arrest a gang member, do you think they are happy with us? No they are not, is it possible for them to find where me and my family live? Yes it is. So when I say that Our risk is everyday, it is just that, EVERYDAY.

This can be debated all day long, but as I said, don't complain when you break the law and get caught.

Mike

15. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    When's the court date?

16. Stew

Stew Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2006
    Los Angeles
    You are so so wrong and out of line, the only explaination is you have recently joined the "Oliver Stone everyone is out to get me Club."

Look we get it. You dislike authority in general and especially the cops. When you get a ticket, the cops have singled you out to get money.

When your property is stolen the cops don't do enough quickly enough.
    (maybe they didn't have enough probable cause to bang down the doors of potential suspects for you)

However;

1. probable cause is alive and well. Search warrants, arrest warrants and even traffic stops require probable cause. Even the Patriot Act requires probable cause. Read Terry Vs Ohio for detentions. Free speech is also alive and well, except at ACLU meetings when you disagree with them.

2. traffic stops are extremely dangerous !
    Look at this video. At about 50 seconds a traffic stop turns into something much worse when the suspect opens up with an AK 47 full auto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8V3zkQvHBY

Regards,

Stew

p.s. because you are a lawyer I know you will understand this. Please don't respond ;)

17. Stbernard

Stbernard Karting

Mar 29, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Benjamin
    I can see how stupid you are, by reading this whole thread I can see who is stupid and who is smart. I believe 285ferrari has a good point. Also see the difference Civic LX coupe vs Ferrari 355 LOL!

18. lxcoupe

lxcoupe Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    ahhhh ok, why don't you let the adults have a conversation......

19. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

this one's getting out of control.

lxcoupe - 3 days in the penalty box for personal attack, and a post that's just way over the line.

Is there any chance the rest of you guys will simmer down? Either way, this has wandered so far from anything resembling a Ferrari discussion I'm moving it to off topic.

DM

20. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    You guys count yourselves lucky you don't live in Switzerland. Here, 20miles over limit on highway is mandatory loss of license and 25 involves jail time. Tickets are also based on net income, could be up to 20%.

I got a ticket yesterday from a cop who HEARD me accelerating "at an innapropriate rate". I haven't even recieved the ticket, he said the judge will look into it. The cop was basically in a parking lot separated from me by a building and a tunel. So while I fully support law enforcement and have friends in the REAL law enforcement (RCMP, which is like Canadian FBI) I have nothing but swear words for the traffic jockeys.

21. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff

I think there needs to be an understanding that nobody is hating on the FBI, SWAT, Investigators etc. Many are hating on those underachievers with a badge who excercise a power trip when they pull you over. Traffic Police are just pond scum. However I am sure that not all of them want to be that way.

22. Stew

Stew Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2006
    Los Angeles
    This is way out of line. You need to apologize for this gartutious attack on police officers. If you do not, I will have to tell the world, you claim to be a porn addict in your Fchat public profile ;)

Seriously, over 42,000 people were KILLED last year in traffic collisions. That is over 42,000 families standing over a grave site! When a person is killed it affects their entire family and friends. It is devastating to many people. Over 2,575,000 people were injured bad enough to go to a doctor or report it to their insurance company. Traffic injuries are out of control. I lost a dear friend to a drunk driver. Traffic enforcement matters.
    You need to apologize !

Regards,

Stew

23. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Although I don't like to get a ticket anymore than anyone else I do agree completely with what you are saying about the insults. this thread got out of hand with the name calling.

24. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Which is, imho, a very good idea....

25. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    No, that's institutionalized highway robbery and dare I say... Communism. Wait untill they take away 20% of YOUR paycheck and lets see how good of an idea you'll believe it to be. Not for DUI or reckless, simple speeding on a deserted highway.