Good Companion Cars for the Dino | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Good Companion Cars for the Dino

Discussion in '206/246' started by abstamaria, Mar 23, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    That’s a perfect specification for a Seven. And it is a Lotus. In theory, one could drive sa23 on the street, but that is not really true, except perhaps on a deserted, smooth mountain road. The Seven, on the other hand, allows much more freedom. It’s a wonderful car, a perfect companion to the Dino.

Andres

2. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California

Lars, you learn a lot more about a car once you own it vs looking at them online. I sort of fell into this one! I love that it’s totally analog! It’s the essence of motoring!

Freeman

3. Tassie

Tassie Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Full Name:
    Wayne Clark
    It must be in our DNA.
    Having raced a S2 Super 7 before getting the 246 Dino I longed for a road 7 so bought the last of the S3, carb, gullwing cars, a Caterham HPC Evo 235. 235 HP in 500Kg. Where the Dino is refined the 7 is .... outlandish.

4. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Yes, I think the difference between a Lotus and the Dino is what makes Lotuses such good companion cars to the Dino. Yet, they have some similarities. I think the Dino was the first Ferrari with rack-and-pinion steering? It was also small and light, had disc brakes all around, and fully independent suspension. But it was built to a different philosophy.

I've had my Elan since 1977. Here it is, photographed from behind the garage. We have large windows that open to a small pond, so the Lotus fits right in with the water lilies and the horse-tail reeds.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino and DinoLasse like this.
  5. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    PhatFrank, cnpapa24, 375+ and 4 others like this.
  6. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
  7. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John

I have the same Ferrari Badge on the trunk lid - mine seems to have been there for quite a while

Curious to know (and I am not trying to incite a riot - and I have read the threads about badging on Dinos)

but...

Do you think there is a chance that a North American Dealer put that badge on your '72

8. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
  9. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    My Dino is Italian spec and was first sold in 1972 by the Ferrari dealer “Motor” in Bologna. I’ve seen a photo of a 206GT photographed at the same dealer in 1968 with the same badge mounted in the same location. I can imagine it was a popular dealer option.

Freeman

10. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
  11. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred

Freeman,
    Your beautiful side-by-side comparison photo recalls contemporary road tests when both cars were new (May, 1974 R&T comes to mind), as well as many comparison road tests in UK "classic" car magazines (of which I have a number). A beautiful "Whitman's Sampler" of '70s European exotic machinery. Forza Dino! Regards,
    Fred

12. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #212 4CamGT, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    View attachment 2534289 View attachment 2534290 View attachment 2534291 View attachment 2534292 View attachment 2534298 View attachment 2534289 View attachment 2534290 View attachment 2534291 View attachment 2534292
    At some point soon I’d love to drive both cars back to back in the canyons and backroads and compare. Emotionally they’re so different yet they relate to each other. Here’s some shots from yesterday at 5AM on my way to Luftgekühlt 5. What an amazing event to celebrate Porsche air-cooled! Even saw Tom Shaughnessy and Rob Calisi there!

Freeman

375+ likes this.
  13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Your 911T looks stunning. Are you running H1 headlamps?

14. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    PhatFrank and Bluebottle like this.
  15. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Of course, many sports cars make good companions for our Dino’s. But from my (biased) perspective, I think the most historically relevant would be as follows:

FIAT DINO: Naturally.

PORSCHE 911, pre-1973: Because the Dino was aimed at it, because they are both sixes, and because they are so different in concept, design, and execution.

LANCIA STRATOS: Because it shares the 246’s engine and drivetrain and is mid-engined too, but yet is so different. The “”Super Dino,” the Dino on steroids.

458 ITALIA: Because it is ultimately an evolution of the Dino, shares the same lines, is naturally aspirated, still caries the Pininfarina’s badge, but is digital where he Dino is analog. The Dino after four decades of development.

Image Unavailable, Please Login t decades.

16. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Perhaps that explains why I have this strange attraction to the 458 Italia and feel one needs to be in my garage...

17. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    All great icons. For me, what creates a great companion car to the Dino is a contrast in how it emotionally affects you emotionally, visually and in its driving experience. I love cars where the core is a powerful philosophy. It’s these contrasting philosophies that make it interesting. An example is the contrast between a 2CV, a Beetle, a Fiat 500 and a Mini. All designed to solve the same problem but with completely different solutions and philosophies. They also reflect their human cultures. All powerful. A Dino vs a 911 vs an XKE vs an A110 reflects this.

Many cars we fall in love with the moment we experience them, others, it’s just not a connection. For me, I love polarizing experiences. The more eclectic, the more I like it. Much like people.

Freeman

18. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred

Freeman, that is so true. Cars can't help but be shaped by the cultures of the countries of their manufacture. The contrast between the cars of Germany, France, Italy, etc. is the spice of the automotive experience. As you have said, the same is true of people, in their infinite variety. Vive la difference! Fred

19. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    You said that very well, Freeman.

Andres

20. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name: