Good Companion Cars for the Dino | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Good Companion Cars for the Dino

Discussion in '206/246' started by abstamaria, Mar 23, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    Early 70s 911 targas are cool!

2. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    John,

Wow! What a great early “S” with sport seats!! Love Love early Targas!! You’re very lucky!

Congrats!
    Freeman

3. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    thanks Freeman and Nis

I just took it to dinner

It's a fun car to drive - but you definitely feel all the power pushing you from behind

i get that over steer could be a real issue

I bet you could spin this car quite easily

the seats are so comfy

4. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Yes, respecting the handling of an early 911 is paramount! They handle really well but requires a different technique than a Dino or front engined car. You do your braking first and accelerate out. This controls the oversteer. A good driver can drift a 911 wherever they want. Looks like you have wider RS flares in the rear with wider later 16” wheels. That’s a plus for handling. Getting a good alignment with new tires would be a first priority. There’s a place in Torrance called Johnson’s Alignment that knows early 911’s and can mount tires. Look on the S-Registry, Pelican and Rennlist forums for lots of advice.

Seats are rare, sought after and worth about $12-$15K!

Freeman

5. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Either that or get it registered so you can legally drive it (note 1994 plate sticker)...

6. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John

I know the out of date sticker is hilarious

the last owner registered as non-op but drove it anyway

i'm sure he insured it and drove it anyway waiting for a "fix it" ticket

i'm actually gonna title it to me today

and see if AAA will also do a current reg for me

i will also add it to my Hagerty policy before I spin it on Sunset Bl.

7. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    and yes, the rear well were flared at some point in the 80's i think

did I already add that the original MFI system was included - numbers matching - so original to the car

I literally bought the car without ever driving it as my wife loved the color and the look and saw it as sculpture for the living room

when I picked it up yesterday I "had" to drive it home - wow

I asked the seller "any problems with it over heating?"

he was polite in the way he reminded me that it is air cooled

i had forgotten that -

8. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    what a lovely colour…. !!!

9. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Tht looks lovely! I hope Dino enjoys his new friend.

10. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    I am very fond of my cars too, but isn't this a bit OTT?:D:D:D

PS What did it order?:D:D:D

PPS Does your wife know?;)

11. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    lol

the porsche had a beer and some bread only Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    Funny how small a classic 911 look compared to a modern one and his small the Dino is compared to a classic 911...

13. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    That’s true. One has to put them side by side to appreciate their relative sizes.

14. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
  15. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    Hey John,
    That garage needs to be organized! LOL Are you a dino or porsche man, make up your mind, hard to tell?

16. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    we are in the process of a summer time "spring cleaning"

the garage itself is a mess

but hopefully we are a few weeks away from it being a little tightened up

as for the dino v porsche divide?

i'm actually an American muscle guy who has been building restomods the last 10 years

the dino came first after years of secretly pining for it

then the '71 911 was um...i dunno ... i just saw it on BAT and got obsessed

17. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    Just kidding. Actually I am in the market for a 1970-1972 911s, really rsr but too too much. That is the ultimate companion car, or a 1964 AM GT4 Zagato. Not enough garage space.

18. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Companion cars for the Dino? Hmm, right now I have several - five to be exact. Not sure which one to feature here, so I am listing all of them.

Here they are, all in a row, parked along the town square in my little home town. All except the Dino, which will be ready in a few days.

From the back to the front:

- Fiat 124 Special, 1969.
    Unassuming exterior, simple interior, but what a delightful car to drive! Eager, free-revving little engine, excellent brakes and handling. Could have used a fifth gear, though. One of the most overlooked and underrated sports sedans of all times, in my opinion.
    This example: A well preserved, low mileage unrestored original. I have done only minor rust repairs on it.

- Alfa Romeo Giulietta Berlina TI, 1961.
    A cute, lovable little sports sedan. Surprisingly sporty for its time, even with bench seat and column shifter. The 1300 engine is a sweetheart, smoother than the later 1600's.
    This one: A well preserved unrestored original, but required more comprehensive rust repairs. Interior original - with patina. Mechanically unrestored. Runs like a clock.
    Greeted with smiles wherever it goes. One of my favorites, I drive it often.

- Alfa Romeo Giulia Super, 1966.
    The sports sedan defined, pure sports car chassis and driveline, but with a sedan body. Quirky but pleasant styling, superb functionality, great performance.
    Becoming a cult car among Alfa lovers, for good reasons. A well made car, a quality car. One of Alfa's best all-around cars, in my opinion.
    This one: Lovely early version with the split Alfa-shield grille and the classic steering wheel. A low mileage original. Totally unrestored, only repainted.
    Also brings smiles wherever it goes - to the driver, too.

- Alfa Romeo Duetto Spider 1600, 1967.
    Classic early roundtail. Great performance and handling. Open air motoring accompanied by raspy Alfa exhaust sounds.
    This one: Total ground up restoration during the last 11 years (on and off), now finally ready.
    On a sunny summer day on the scenic roads surrounding my little home town, there is nothing better!

- Lotus Elan Fixed Head Coupe SS, 1967.
    Incredibly small, light, lovely and purposeful design. Raucous, visceral, racy driving experience. Makes the Dino seem spacious, almost luxurious by comparison. Superb handling and steering. Tiring on the freeways (no fifth gear!), but exhilarating on winding country roads.
    This one: Older restoration. Engine upgraded to Stage III tuning, larger intake and exhaust systems, aluminum flywheel, etc. Otherwise stock.
    A thrill to drive. My go-to sports car while waiting for the Dino.

There you have them, my companion cars. Too many, obviously, so two or three of them will soon have to go, in order to keep things manageable. Difficult to decide which ones, though. They are all lovable cars, each in their own unique way. And they all make good companion cars for the Dino.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Lars,

Fantastic! I relate to all of them! Small, purposeful and focused! Each a polarizing, unique relationship and experience!

Freeman

20. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    What a delightful collection! You have at least two that are on my wish list: Elan and Duetto.

You clearly adhere to the belief that "small is beautiful", and although I would agree most of the time, occasionally "size matters" - one of my Dino's companions:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Neelfryer and pshoejberg like this.
  21. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Thanks, Freeman. Glad to hear that you too can see the emotional appeal of these cars. Difficult to explain, otherwise. I love them all!
    Lars

22. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    You are absolutely right, I do think small is beautiful - if it is well designed. My daily driver isa 2006 Mini Cooper (summer seasons only, I am "saving" that one too).
    Duetto and Elan on your list? You have good taste in cars. :)
    The Duetto is so enjoyable, both for leisurely cruising and for more serious sporty driving.
    The Elan is an outstanding single-purpose sports car. Can be frustrating until it gets done right, though. Took me almost a year to get mine fully "sorted". In the end, well worth it.
    Lars

23. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    They are both very much in the spirit of the Dino, sharing many of the characteristics that make it so much nicer a car to own and drive than some of the more valuable "real" Ferraris of the same era.

I think the Duetto is one of the prettiest cars ever designed. So sad when they cut off its tail.:(

The Elan has to be Lotus' finest IMO, and shows to the full the advantages of small size and lightness in achieving excellent handling and really good performance from a comparatively small engine, lessons some modern cars could learn in the search for improved economy. It also makes it easier to park in today's congested cities and to drive on some of the narrow back roads here in the UK, qualities which it shares with my 911. I used to own an MG midget, which was even smaller that the Elan, and that was an absolute hoot to drive, although a lot more basic than the Elan of course.

I stupidly passed on a very nice Elan about 6 years ago, since when their prices have gone up an up: I called a dealer a couple of days ago to enquire the price of a very nice looking Sprint convertible and was staggered to find he was asking £75,000 for it! Before I had time to say "you must be joking", he told me he had sold it that morning for £72,000!!:eek:

DinoLasse likes this.
  24. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Just found this, a svelte ballerina. I am extremely happy.
    In Italy, it was called the "Butcher-shop Owner's Ferrari"

Needs a full floor exchange, and why not, a full resto. One year and another (talented) bodyman. That, is the tricky part....

Regards, Alberto

Image Unavailable, Please Login

dgt likes this.
  25. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Thankfully, this one is 150% complete. Factory fitted hardtop, one owner car, well two now.

cls, DinoLasse and pshoejberg like this.