Going to the Indy 500 - cameras | FerrariChat

Going to the Indy 500 - cameras

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Robb, May 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Question on attending the Indy 500... my first time.

Any restrictions on camera lenses?

Was going to bring an 800mm

It says that cameras are allowed on their website. Tripods / monopods also look ok to bring. The indystar had an article in 2016 online that said no professional cameras allowed...

the latest gate rules on the race site says that only an issue for concerts.

So who has gone, what have you brought so I don’t waste time getting rejected at the gate? Thanks.

Robb

2. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    317 492 8500
    Give them a call
    Best to get it straight from the horse's mouth

Robb likes this.
  3. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    While IMS certainly can't ban cameras (or camera phones, et.al.), brought in by the ticket buying
    public, they could take issue with an 800mm lens. They could well say that a lens that large may
    pose a safety issue (or whatever) and it could receive extra scrutiny from security.

They could see a lens such as this as a professional piece of equipment and from my one and
    only experience photographing at their IRL race at Disney World, they take great interest in the
    images made at their events going to far as to making credentialed photographers sign an agreement that they get a percentage of any images sold (no, for real!).

Good advice to call ahead rather than pushing the issue at the gates for some tin-badged security
    guards to sort out. Honestly, I don't think they'll allow it in but stranger things have happened I suppose.

BHW

Robb likes this.
  4. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Not to be rude but I feel sorry for anyone sitting in front of you if you are waving an 800mm lens around!
    (I've "clonked" people in the head at air shows but the photo pit tends to be very tight quarters)

5. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I normally find a slot in front of me in the bleachers or other positions. Never bonked anyone in 30 years... :D

Robb

6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    I used some 800mm lenses provided by Nikon Professional Services a few times at CART and
    sports car races. They must weigh at minimum 80lbs and are like carrying a cannon around.

If its windy, a lens that big and heavy is difficult to control at times even with a unipod.

Let us know what happens and look forward to seeing some of your images.

BHW

Robb likes this.
  7. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Nobody should be taking an 800mm lens into crowded grandstands or bleachers and I'm surprised that the track permits monopods or tripods in the stands.

8. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I decided to leave all the cameras and just go with my son to enjoy the day with the racing, food, and drink. I never said I was bringing any tripods or monopds. Just stating their allowances.

I worked with the cameras enough this week on the commercial side.

That being said - Stig - two posts on this topic in a fairly negative light... I’ll pass on any more of your judgements. Good luck with YOUR photography - Thanks.

Robb

kevfla likes this.
  9. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    I went. brought a wide angle but mostly used my 50mm. Of course, access is way more important than focal length;).

https://flic.kr/s/aHskyP1poM

10. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    It's not how long it is. It's how you use it. BTW . . . . what kind of "access" are we talking about?;)

11. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    In my experience, I found 800mm to not only be cumbersome but a bit more than is necessary
    to photograph racing with full credentials. A 500mm is enough in most cases.

Now, if you're sitting up in the stands 50 or 100 yards away from the track (taking into account
    you're shooting through the fences), then maybe 800mm would work.

In the images we see online and in print by guys like LAT shooters Mike Levitt and Phil Abbott,
    they're using 500mm lenses for the direct shots (cars coming towards the camera out of the turns)
    shot through holes cut in the fences and 200mm to 300mm for pan shots.

BHW

tifoso2728 likes this.