Going to look at a Ferrari California T | FerrariChat

Going to look at a Ferrari California T

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Gene G, Jan 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gene G

Gene G Karting

Jul 13, 2015
    Saint Johns Fl.
    Full Name:
    Gene
    We are going to look at a Ferrari California T tomorrow. The car is at a Ferrari dealer. What should I look for?
    They can do a cpo for two years, is it worth the additional expense? It is a 2015 with only 3400 miles on it.
    Thanks for any input.

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Definitely check all the service records. If it were me, I would talk to local F-car enthusiasts,
    and get their honest take on the dealer service experience assuming that is the route you plan on taking.
    To me, the service experience is as important, if not more important, than the sales experience.
    These are quirky, low volume cars & as reliable as my Cali has been, it's still thrown more CELs in
    4 years & 20K miles than my wife's Honda pickup truck has in 14 years & 240K miles!

The warranty is a crap shoot, and probably best provides a little comfort against a $$$ repair such as the
    DCT (the unit seems solid, the sensors are the issue) or the hard top convertible. F-chat lore suggests both
    of these issues are much diminished in later models like the Cali 30 & the T. I did CPO & subsequently warranty;
    other people, just set aside a few bucks a month against a major repair bill.

Good luck...T

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    With a car of that age but with so few miles on it, I would say that you should ask for a long test drive. Cars never like to sit. I'd say get a full tank and take it out for two hours for a proper shakedown. Operate the roof a bit, stop for a coffee half way, and see how the car starts back up etc. This should give you a proper chance to evaluate the car and see if everything checks out ok.

Get the warranty if it makes you sleep better. They are fairly reliable, but like with the Cali, the roof can get troublesome. Other than that, the drivetrain has proven to be solid, so not much else to say. Most will never use the warranty to its full potential, but I suppose it brings some comfort for most.

It's a modern car and it works best if it sees regular use. I'd say you have a more reliable car if you use it as a daily, rather than if you shelf it for a weekend toy.

Martin0, AD211 and tomc like this.
  4. Quietriot

Quietriot Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2018
    Look to see if tires have been changed out. It’s been 4 years for the original tires.

tomc likes this.
  5. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    I have a 2016 California T.
    It has been trouble free.
    However, get the extended warranty for piece of mind. Runs about $5,000/yr.
    Also, make sure the airbag recall was done as well as the annual service.
    Annual service is no charge for seven years.

6. PROV

PROV Rookie

Oct 30, 2019
    Middlesbrough, UK
    In the UK you get at least a year extended warranty from the Ferrari dealer.. If you don't get this in the US it could be a bargaining tool.. you will take the car as long as they put the warranty on for you..
    It should also have free servicing until 2022

7. Mother01

Mother01 Rookie

Dec 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco SIlva
    Had both a Cali & a Cali T - both were very nice cars. Zero problems.

8. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I think if you can get a more recent model with the HS package you should consider that. It makes a big difference in the car. I had one and while it's not as nice as the Portofino, it was a great experience and more fun than my 991tts was. You are getting as close to the new car as possible by getting the 2017 with the HS package.

9. Gene G

Gene G Karting

Jul 13, 2015
    Saint Johns Fl.
    Full Name:
    Gene
    Well, the search goes on. I called them before we took the two hour drive to the dealer. The California t has been sold.
    I guess it wasn’t to be.

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Don't sweat it, of course a Ferrari was meant to be. Plenty of them out there. Don't your dealer have something in storage or know of others?

Carlosfrommontreal likes this.
  11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Sorry to hear that. The search is half the fun of Ferrari ownership. Lots of Ferrari out there for sale. One of them has your name on it...T

12. Quietriot

Quietriot Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2018
    Enjoy the search because the ride is even better. Keep lookin’

CaliT UK and tomc like this.
  13. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
  14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
  16. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    #16 Avia11, Jan 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Miller tends toward the higher end pricewise, but they have quality stock. Offer them less, it's winter, Ferrari seem to be seeking slowly, maybe they'll take a counteroffer...T