GLOCK: SHAME ON YOU!!! ***SPOILER*** | Page 3 | FerrariChat

GLOCK: SHAME ON YOU!!! ***SPOILER***

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Kalidengas, Nov 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. krk

krk Rookie

Oct 20, 2008
    What were his times before that?

2. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    A little bit more on the final lap:

In the McLaren garage, the team were making furious calculations but the family, led by Lewis, were facing up to another disaster as he embarked on the last lap 13 seconds behind Timo Glock. They were 13 seconds which Hamilton did not believe he could make up.

At the time, he thought that he had to overtake Sebastian Vettel, who had slipped past a couple of laps earlier, but Hamilton could not get close to his Toro Rosso rival

McLaren CEO Martin Whitmarsh said his team was always confident that Lewis Hamilton would be able to catch the slick-shod Timo Glock and regain the critical fifth position in the Brazilian Grand Prix.

Hamilton seemed set to lose the championship when he fell from fourth to sixth in the late rain shower - losing one place to the flying Sebastian Vettel, and also falling behind Glock when the Toyota driver gambled on sticking with dry tyres.

At first Glock's lap times were competitive with the drivers on intermediates, but the rain increased at just the right moment for McLaren, causing Glock to tumble off the pace and allowing Lewis through.

"Just fantastic, what a finish," said Whitmarsh in an interview with ITV Sport's Steve Rider.

"We knew we couldn't take any risks with Vettel, he's a young charger.

"We were saying to Lewis: 'just take it easy.'

"We came here for fifth place and we were racing Glock.

"We had the GPS and we could see Glock coming back towards us, we had the conviction that we were going to catch him, but then you start to worry - is it raining as hard as you think it is, are you really going to catch him?

"Had we really got this wrong?

"We told Lewis 'don't worry about Vettel, Glock's on dries, you're going to find him on the last lap', but until you do it, you haven't done it."

Whitmarsh said Hamilton maintained his composure better than the McLaren team as the final lap drama unfolded.

"He kept his cool, I'm sure he was much cooler than all of us on the pit wall," he said.

3. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Unfortunately, I can't access his previous lap times, but according to the official F1 lap times, his last lap was better than his team mate (Trulli - also on slicks) by 7 hundredths of a second. Trulli was circa 20 seconds behind Glock on track. Clearly, if he were slowing down on purpose, these times would be substantially different in Trulli's favor. Also, Glock actually finished 1 place ahead of where he would have finished had he changed to wets. Finally, and I will repeat this, Glock finished 6 seconds behind Hamilton by the end of the lap - which as we all know was only a handful of seconds up the road... There is absolutely no way, none, other than causing an accident, that Glock could have kept Kubica, Vettel or Hamilton behind him as they were travelling nearly 30% - I repeat - 30% - faster.

4. icky

icky Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Anchorage, AK
    Full Name:
    Jesse B.
    This is ridiculous. Glock is the only reason the last few laps were so intense anyways. He decided not to switch tires. If he had switched tires, Hamilton wouldn't have had any problems and would have been well in the points enough for him to win. He had dry tires on a wet track. It happens.

5. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Those that have, just smiled when they read your post.

It truly is a life altering event :)

6. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    ... in a pant browning kind of way...!

7. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    He made it rain. ;)

8. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Glock staying on dry tires was not about artificially holding up the guys behind him... it was a time race. The rain started again and guys switched. If it got wetter, the guys who switched tires would pull off a better result, but if it didn't get much wetter, the guys on dry tires would pull off a huge coup. What does Toyota have to lose? They rolled the dice and bet on double-zero. It wasn't about whether Glock could hold anyone off - they knew he couldn't, because a car on slicks in the rain is... well, it's like driving a powerful RWD car in winter on ice. So it was a race to the finish line - with positions 3 through 8 chasing Glock like greyhounds chasing a rabbit. It paid off, because Glock took at *least* one more position than if he had pitted.

As for Glocks comments - with all due respect, you are seeing what you want to see and assuming that Glock has some motivation to want to help McLaren and Hamilton. I am saying that is not the case. I understand where you are coming from but it's just not something that's credible. As I said, Toyota spends hundreds of millions to be in F1 with one single goal in mind - to get the best result possible. Drivers drive for one reason - to get the best result possible. To think that both entities would forego their "raison d'être" to help Hamilton makes no sense... anymore than thinking that Ferrari would purposely help out Honda to spite Williams. They just wouldn't do it.... it would potentially cost them everything and for what in return? Nothing that could possibly be of value to them.

So to think that Glock moved over because he was told to or because of some deal is just nonsense, and I don't mean that to insult, just that there is no data to support it and to think that is akin to thinking the gov't was behind 9/11, etc, etc.

I am not one for conspiracies, but if we want to go there, I have two.

First, how come Kubica, who has been fast all year and is (was) in P3 for the WDC suddenly fell to the back? They said he came into the pits to change to dry tires, but he started on dry tires... so he comes in and suddenly he's last. He stays there doing nothing to pass and suddenly as soon as Hamilton comes around to lap him, he drives super aggresively and almost causes an incident. Why? Kubica has come right out and said he wants Massa to win. And how can this guy who would never normally be lapped by a McLaren suddenly be so slow as to be lapped near the end, and why did he decide to put that move on Hamilton when he became lapped as soon as Massa passed him? And there was no drama with the Massa pass. What gives? Some are suggesting Kubica deserves a penalty for what he did.

Second, what about Alonso? Again, he came right out and stated that he would do whatever he can to help Massa win and help McLaren lose. Well, he was in P2 behind Massa. He was 6 seconds behind him and closing rapidly... closing about .2 to .4 seconds per lap. He got within about 1.5 seconds or so of Massa, then he backed way off. Within a few laps he was about 15+ seconds behind. Why? Are we to beleive the Renault "suddenly" became so slow? How come Alonso was faster and gaining on Massa, and when he got to the point where he could pass, he suddenly got slow and couldn't do anything? Alonso and Flavio both said that they will help Ferrari and Massa if they can. So what happened there?

9. P1-EH

P1-EH Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2007
    Waterloo, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Great post. I agree with you completely that Kubica's actions were completely inappropriate. He was a lap down. What the h3ll was he doing passing Vettel and Hamilton? He was clearly engaging them in a race for position that did not exist. I wonder if there will be any repercussions for that.

On the Alonso point, I don't see that the way you do. There was too little time and for them to have any impact on what Lewis was doing 3 or 4 spots behind him. Unless Alonso did a 180 and started driving towards Lewis, he would have no impact on the WDC outcome.

10. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I don't think Alonso purposely tried to help Massa, but he was on a charge and was chasing down Massa... he was at a point where he could push push push and possibly take the lead from Massa... but he got to Massa, then just backed off... and he backed off in a big way, so that in a few laps he was down 15-20 seconds. Why? Well, it could be that he was helping Massa because if he took P1 from Massa, it would mean that he was handing Lewis the WDC (well, at least making it easier for Lewis). But, I don't think there was anything untoward going on. Alonso did what a lot of drivers do... settle into cruise control and just let the race progress. I think the same with Glock... he really didn't have anything to gain trying to fight Lewis and Vettel to the bitter end, and he would likely have caused a collision, so he ran a smart game and came out of it well (with at least one or more positions better than he'd otherwise have had).

As for Kubica, well, I don't know what to think.... he lost a lot of respect with me. I think that was an absolutely crap move... not only dangerous but compeltely unwarranted in this stage of the game. I imagine his bosses at BMW will be having a little sit down with him over that.

11. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Sadly, he probably was ordered to let others by. There'll never be anything to definitively prove it but something isn't right for him to just roll over like that. I'm sure Bernie will see a few extra mill in his pocket for allowing a LH win when things were so close. This guy would do anything to make a few extra bucks so it really isn't much of a stretch.

12. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    ROTFLMAO!! SJ, too damn funny!! LOL!

13. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    All kidding aside, he will be blacklisted for all things Ferrari-relating including customer engined teams from now on I'm guessing, Luca must be boiling mad!!!!

14. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    #64 TurboFreak650, Nov 3, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
    I don't think there was a conspiracy, I just think Glock was way too slow thanks to a poor tire choice and nothing else (and thanks A LOT Timo).

15. se30chris

se30chris Karting

Jun 21, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I actually hope he did slow on purpose. We all know if Massa was in Hamilton's position and Alonso was in Glocks, Alonso would have slowed.

16. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    LH's pass was on the inside before the corner in the braking line. Just like every pass normal pass in F1.

Not like Massa's pass on Kimi before the corner in Japan. Here is the outright blatant infraction that both Kimi and Massa acknowledged. Where is that penalty ?

17. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #67 BLACK HORSE, Nov 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Great cartoon, it is only missing the gold coins falling out of Glocks pockets for taking a bribe.

19. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    #69 gsjohnson, Nov 7, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
    This is not how I viewed it. It was during the pit stop and in lap (Alonso and Massa pitted together) for wets that Alonso closed up on Massa, not on the track for the most part. When they both returned to the track, Alonso did close on the out lap and then began to fade, unable to hold Massa's pace.

Now Kubica, that's another can of worms.

20. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    What race were you watching? The Glock scenerio never appeared until the last corner of the last lap. The annoncers never made light of it as a possibility in the grand scheme of the WDC. The intensity of the last several laps included, it suddenly raining, pit stop strategies, Vettel's closing on Hami and ultimately passing him, and Hami's desperate attempts to catch and repass Vettel all played a part in the last few laps of the most exciting race in years. The Glock pass was only the final curve ball in the excitement of the last few laps.

21. toddjw73

toddjw73 F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2004
    Nor-Cal
    Full Name:
    Todd Westbrook
    That is Great Rob!
    That & the set of keys to his Brand New Mercedes!

22. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    You guys and your conspiracies are great. If you watch Glock's car in the corner he was passed, you can
    see he can't put his power down and was oversteering/understeering the entire corner. His gamble
    on slicks didn't pay off but if he pitted for Inter's, he still would have finished behind Hamilton. If Ferrari
    wouldn't have screwed up in Singapore with their comedy routine in the pits, then Massa would have been
    Champion as deserved, and Glock wouldn't have been an issue. By the way, did you guys know that Jimmy Hoffa
    is buried at the Meadowlands?

Mark

23. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Usta be. We had to move him.

24. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    This make great entertainment, and you know we all have to B*tch about something :D

25. toddjw73

toddjw73 F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2004
    Nor-Cal
    Full Name:
    Todd Westbrook
    Where'd you move him too????:D