Ghibli SS 115/49.1928 Restoration | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Ghibli SS 115/49.1928 Restoration

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Mexico074, Jan 27, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    #151 Mexico074, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello Mark / Graeme / Juha...

Mark: Thanks for the tip on the brass nuts. Fortunately, I have another engine that had
    the same nuts. I am cleaning them up, and should be able to get 32 good ones
    from the whole bunch. Of course, my engine guy may have different thoughts
    on this. But if he needs them, I will have them.

Graeme: The Saab tip is a good one. I am still pursuing this one... I will keep you all
    informed.

Juha: The color you are using is the same as the one I am using. Mine looks a little purple
    in bright light, but is a BEAUTIFUL blue indoors and under less bright light. Thank
    you also for the info on your fans. It appears the fan motor number is different than
    mine, that could be useful.. I wonder if that matters. I looked through all my photos
    to see if I had one showing the location of the ignition box. In the attached photo
    I believe that is it in the lower left (right hand side of car). I think you can just make
    it out. It's a bad picture, but may be useful.. I remember Ivan and I swapping an
    ignition box out on his Ghibli Spyder, and if I recall correctly, it is located at the very
    front, around where the headlight lifting mechanism is located.. If he has a better
    photo, perhaps he will post it.. Hope this helps!

Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Juha,

Mike is correct, the Bosch ignition amplifier is located in the front right. Unfortunately the bracket is difficult to photograph without first removing the bumper.

The early Ghiblis did not have an amplifier. I do not know if you have an early or late car but that could explain why your car does not have a bracket.

Ivan

3. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    #153 Mexico074, Mar 14, 2016
    I hope some of you will find this interesting....

While disconnecting all the wires from my Ghibli's fuse block (and taking detailed notes),
    I noticed the lever that opens the fresh air flap. On left hand drive cars it is on the
    passenger side, by the fuse block (first picture). Anyway, it appeared in need of attention.
    I suspect this is an often overlooked part on the car that is quite important in its operation.

I disconnected the pull cable and removed the flap (second picture). As suspected, on
    one side of the large flat area, the foam had disintegrated. On the side seen on the
    picture a small piece of foam was used to prevent the flap from making noise when
    the flap is opened and contacts the box structure wall! It too had all but disintegrated.

4. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Updates and a couple of questions....

It's been a few weeks since I posted here, but things are progressing, albeit not at
    the pace I would like. But I am enjoying it, so that's the main thing.

Although some things are still coming off the car to be refurbished and painted, some
    things are actually going back on the car. The fuel filler door flaps have been put back
    on the car, and although this isn't necessarily anything special, I think they look great.
    I still have to install the flap door locks. I have 2 sets of locks to choose from, both
    appear to be in very good condition.

The fan issue has been resolved, I think.. I was able to purchase a fan assembly from a
    1982 QPIII.. Thanks again Gene for this tip. They appear to work fine and look to be
    in very good condition. Currently, the Ghibli fan housing is being re-worked to look better
    and will be painted. So, I am pretty sure that's another issue resolved!

Now for some questions:

1. There are 4 rubber bumpers which prevent the fuel door flaps from rattling against the
    body (Ghibli parts manual - table 38 - item 73). I haven't checked MIE yet, but does
    anyone have a source for these?

2. I may have mentioned, I had my radiator and a/c condenser checked. A/C condenser is
    fine, the radiator is not so good... I was told by the radiator shop they could fix it with
    a honeycomb style vs. the original fin style for about $900. They would use the original
    tops, bottoms, and sides to help ensure proper fit. I also contacted some other places,
    and they can do original fin style, but it is expensive! Any ideas?

3. I would like to make the rear taillight assemblies as reflective as possible. The insides
    of the housings are kind of dull. What have others done to restore these? Is heat
    buildup from the bulbs and issue?

4. I am also in the process of obtaining leather samples. I have contact info for Maieli, HVL
    and World Upholstery and Trim. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for listening, and any/all help is appreciated...

Mike

5. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    #155 Mexico074, Apr 29, 2016
    As I received no responses to my previous posting about fuel flap rubber bumpers,
    radiator rebuilding, taillight housing restoration, and leather suppliers, I guess I
    will be on my own here.. I had hoped to receive some suggestions...

Attached is a picture of two electrical items.. The one on the left has something to
    do with the A/C compressor I believe, while the one on the right has something to
    with the evaporative system as shown on page 122 of the Ghibli Use and Maintenance
    manual. I believe it controls the little fan mislabeled as item F, but should be D.

If I have it wrong, please let me know. I am thinking I should replace these.
    Does anyone have a source for these? I have not checked with MIE yet, but thought
    I would check here first...

Thanks...

Mike

6. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    I would like to put Borrani Wire Wheels on my Ghibli SS.. I can't seem to find
    the RW number for the 15 inch wire wheels (4 bolts/wheel). If someone has these
    wheels on their car, it would be great if you would tell me the RW number on your car!

Thanks....

Mike

7. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    There is a 4 bolt reference here Mike if this helps:-

CLASSIC WHEELS - Ruote Borrani

Cheers

Paul

8. The Surveyor

The Surveyor Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Newcastle, England
    Full Name:
    Paul Spensley
    I can't help with the radiator Mike, when I had the Mexico one rebuilt, they used a modern core and it works nicely. Performance over originality ruled on that one I'm afraid.

For the rubber bumpers, is it something like this you're after?
    Rubber Grommit. Glove Box, Door Bump, Fuel Flap, OS007, (5pk)

Best regards

Paul

9. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Mike

I was finally able to read the number on one of my wheels ... it is RW4198 (size is 15" x 6 1/2)

A quick Google search brought up this webpage, which makes no sense to me as the Jaguar XJ6 has a 5 bolts pattern.
    https://www.borrani.com/jaguar-wheels/xj-6/1968-79-rw-4198/jaguar-xj-6-borrani-wheels-rw-4198.html

They also list the same RW wheel for a Mexico .... but with a different price. Go figure.
    https://www.borrani.com/maserati-wheels/mexico/1966-73-rw-4198/maserati-mexico-borrani-wheels-rw-4198.html

I would be curious to learn what is the RW number on other people's Ghiblis with bolt on wire wheels.

Ivan

10. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Hi Mike, I thought that style was RW4198 as well. If you look on Enrico's Maserati site at the moment, there is a set of 4 from a Mexico for sale at 4000 Aussie dollars. They are in need of a refurbishment, but nevertheless much cheaper than new made ones - which are still available - and with a correct period date stamp too. They are in Oz though!
    No connection to the vendor BTW.

Regards. Mark.

11. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Ivan / Paul / Mark.. Thank you all so much for all the info.. Interesting that the RW 4198 isn't listed for the Ghibli, but rather for the Mexico... The difference between the Jag and Maserati 4198 besides the price, appears to be the number of spokes.. The Jag has 60 spokes, while the Maserati has 72.. The RW 4256 Paul found indicates a 225/70-15 tire, which would be a bit wider and a bit taller, I think.. Could be interesting as well, depending on what XWX's in those sizes might cost! All appear to be the 4 X 130 pattern! Hopefully, some more owners will chime in with what is on their cars!

Mike

12. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    FWIW Mike, the knock-on Borrani 4121 on my Ghibli are only listed for the Mexico too.......
    So current online catalogue certainly isn't comprehensive.

Regards.

Mark.

13. GrifoS2

GrifoS2 Rookie

May 20, 2007
    #163 GrifoS2, Jul 30, 2016
    Hello Mike,

Tony Randazzo has electric parts you are looking for in eBay,
    but his shop is closed at moment.
    Electrically those parts are worth only few dollars,
    as original parts, very expensive.

I got leather samples from Maieli, old original leather and new one,
    both are quite near to what is in my car.

I have similar problem with rear lights, I might try this for my lights

OZBENZ - Australian & New Zealand Mercedes-Benz Forums ? View topic - Tail light housing rejuvination

I found that ignition box bracket,
    couple new questions,

Where is that fuel pump valve unit, that you cleaned, to be installed in car,
    and are fuel hoses and wiring rear of the car just lying "on the floor"?

I found Veglia fuel level sending units that are quite similar to original ones.

Regards,

Juha

14. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    #164 Mexico074, Jul 31, 2016
    Hello Juha...

Thank you for the info on the restoration of the taillight housings.
    I like the method they used, I will probably attempt to use this
    method on mine.

Regarding the electrical parts, I agree, they can be obtained but
    am not sure they are really needed. I believe one of them is for
    an emissions type thing regarding fuel vapor. But my research
    goes on. It may actually be what keeps the fuel valve, shown
    in the attached picture, operating for a few minutes to vent fuel
    vapors when the engine is shut down.

I have not contacted Maieli yet, but might do so soon. So far I
    have contacted World Upholstry and Trim, and Edelman. Have not
    made a final decision yet. I may even use what I have if it will
    clean up nicely. My leather was dyed at some time, and it was
    not a very good job. I see the dye on top of chrome parts, screws,
    etc..

Attached is a picture of my engine compartment prior to the
    begin of restoration. You will note the fuel pump valve unit
    in the top left of the picture, tucked behind the fuse block.

I have the same question about the rear wiring. From what I
    can tell, it looks like the wiring is routed under the fuel tank
    on the passenger side. I am hoping someone else will confirm
    this! I will have to look and see what I have on hoses.

Where did you find the Veglia fuel sending units? They do look
    quite similar to what is originally there.

I hope some of this is of use to you, and please keep in touch.
    Please supply some photos of your project, or better yet,
    start a thread on your restoration.

Mike

15. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello again Juha...

Quick correction.. I am not sure either or both of the electrical parts are used with the
    the fuel valve. But rather they may be used for a small fan to vent the fuel vapors from
    the air filter housing (page 122, figure F, M, and L of the Use and Maintenance Manual).

Mike

16. GrifoS2

GrifoS2 Rookie

May 20, 2007
    Hello Mike,

I meant fuel valve unit you have in photo in post #75,

How did your fresh fuel flap come out, I tried to remove it,
    but nothing happens, and newly painted engine room...

Veglia fuel sending units are from Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1978-86,
    these are old stock, and getting rare, I only found from eBay.it,
    I straightened sender and bent float arm, resistance is correct.
    Not tested with fuel gauge yet.

INDICATORE LIVELLO CARBURANTE GALLEGGIANTE ALFA ROMEO GIULIETTA 77?? 85 1.3 - 1. | eBay

In your last photo, diode near steering gear, is between AC and one radiator fan,
    when AC is started, it will start one fan, but when fans are started by thermostat,
    diode blocks so that AC will not start.
    You can test this diode by multimeter, maybe it still works.

My car probably was US model too, but it is now with euro wiring, euro steering wheel, no side lights, but same wheels that you have (before wire wheels)
    I have some of US model parts with the car, but not those electrical parts.
    Are you going to restore smog equipment too?

Juha

17. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    The "T" check valve is located between the two fuel pumps in the rear of the car.

Ivan

18. mamamia

mamamia Karting

Dec 14, 2010
    England
    Full Name:
    Henry Jameson
    Unfortunately, these Borrani wheels have now been sold.

Enrico.

19. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Enrico (mamamia) and Mark (red27)...

I am the purchaser of the wheels on the site! They are in transit from Australia as we
    speak! Many thanks to Mark (red27) for the heads up on these wheels.. When I get them I will have to have them rebuilt/restored. I have had good success with Dayton
    Wire Wheels on my Mexico Borrani wheels a few years ago. I have also heard good
    things about Precision Wire Wheels and Valley Wire Wheels. I will make my decision as
    soon as the wheels arrive...

Mike

20. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    #170 red27, Aug 2, 2016
    Hi Mike. Glad those wheels have gone to a good home! They will look super when refinished I'll bet.
    I posted earlier photos of the wiring run near the fuel tanks, but I have a few more which I will post below in case they are helpful - I hope so. This is looking down on the wiring and fuel lines going into the fuel pump at left of screen. I still can't attach more than one photo per post, so I will do each separately.
    M

21. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    #171 red27, Aug 2, 2016
  22. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    #172 red27, Aug 2, 2016
  23. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    #173 red27, Aug 2, 2016
  24. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    As an aside, has anyone here tried the replica Bendix pumps available on eBay from Australia? I was considering a pair as they certainly look well finished externally.
    M

25. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Mark...

Thank you for the pictures.. Do you have any pictures of the electrical wiring running
    under the fuel tanks? If so, would you be kind enough to post them? Also, THANK YOU
    again for the tip on the wire wheels that were on Enrico's site. It was perfect timing!

Mike