Getting some real wheels and tires on a 412... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Getting some real wheels and tires on a 412...

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by full_garage, Apr 3, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Spot on my brother!!

Our cars have developed a bad reputation largely because many of them, if not most of them, have fallen into the hands of posers who want to drive a "Ferrari", but simply cannot afford to maintain them to a high standard.

I'll certainly do my best to keep my examples in the best of condition and on the road- where they belong!

2. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    What complete and utter diatribe, You just make up rubbish as you go along are you out of your mind how you think you can thinly disguise the fact that you have learned I dont have loads of dosh when ive actually told you ! you really must be thick belitlleing ones without the cash and pass them off as posers is farcical. Rich coming from someone with a bright yellow 355 now if that isnt a posers car then nothing is. You see you think your smart but you arent. You are just a tosser who isnt man enough to apologies like I am I can see right through you. Dickwad.

3. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
  4. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    wanna borrow my car for a while, Jay?

5. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Sure Come on over! I got tools!

Actually will be putting in a four post lift soon so might be a good place for some "Stooge" type work -

6. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    May I suggest that this particular thread be concluded?
    Greg

7. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Good idea
    apologies for all the agro.
    Regards
    Alastair

8. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Cheers boys...

Anyone with Ferrari is a friend of mine!

Plane's pushing back...enjoy your week...

9. 330Guy

330Guy Karting

Jan 9, 2009
    Union City, CA.
    Full Name:
    Dana Edward Layton
    You know there's nothing like a couple of Ferrari owners in a pissing contest. I'm gone for a few months and ...what can I say...its a god damned soap opera of *****ing. Sorry, forgive me..I must have been tainted by the reading. Love to all. Dana

10. nct

nct Karting

Nov 6, 2003
    Guangzhou, China
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Certainly brightened up my day, cheers guys. Full Garage, yup your a lucky chap to have these cars but Alastair was spot on, both in his opinion and in his right to express his opinion on a public forum. It only gets annoying when someone harps on about the same thing over and over again.

I do not own a 400, I like them but I am not fanatical about them. If I was I may be a little unhappy at what you have done, making it look a tad like a posers car after all. With such a full garage I do envy you greatly though:)

Regards, Neil

11. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Wow, I was gonna put 22s on mine but I guess I won't now. ;)

12. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    #37 sebackman, May 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi,

Did you know that BMW used TRX rubber on som of their M-cars.....and the good thing is that Michelin still makes them!! And at decent prices.

I use 240*45*415 from BMW M6 (635CSI) on my 1980 400i Spyder. Wider and lower. Not much but enough to look better imho. And much more modern pattern = silent.

Best regards
    //RoB
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Ben_CH

Ben_CH Rookie

Dec 11, 2010
    Very interesting, the Beamer tyres. I will check at my tires guy. I need 2 new rears and just have been offered CHF 700 (USD 815). Each... Even my 2007 M6 has cheaper Michelins.

14. GrigioAlloy

GrigioAlloy Karting

Sep 28, 2009
    Netherlans
    Full Name:
    Peter
    He Rob,

You mean the actual tread pattern is different " And much more modern pattern " ?
    Any change you could share a picture of that.

Oh and Ben. Yes the prices are very high for the real TRX tyres. As Michelin is the only supplier that can more or less ask what they want.

Regards, Peter

15. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    #40 sebackman, May 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. GrigioAlloy

GrigioAlloy Karting

Sep 28, 2009
    Netherlans
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hello Rob,

That does look more modern.
    Do you know what the price is for these tyres ?
    No idea how many BMW's are still around using these but maybe with bigger numbers that helps with the price.

Does anyone know how to calculate the perimeter (is that the right word?) so we could calculate what the difference is when driving (if the difference is to big the car has to rev higher for the same speed, or less (which given the torque is less of a problem).

Or if you can measure it I can do the same for the original TRX (have a brand new set stored).

No point going by the speed on the clock as that is hopelessly unreliable anyway.

Thanks, Peter

17. new ulm 400i

new ulm 400i Karting

Sep 1, 2007
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Full Name:
    Lee Atkinson
    tire size calculators are on the web, here is one I haven't used...The difference between the TRX and a 245/50/16 tire is that the Inch tire is about 3% off in circumference (so an indicated 60mph really means the car is only going about 58mph). 245/45 tires end up with about double the disparity, so 245/50 is really the way to go....Unless you just want to speed up your 0-60 time :) Lee

whttp://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

18. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
  19. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I have made the assumption that Michelin would use a modern compound rather than mix up a batch of the old goo for those few who pester them about a tire they'd rather forget.
    The Goodyears you bought are a "modest" tire, no?
    I'm surprised by all this.

20. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    All the BMW TRX wheels are either hose reels or bar stools by now.

21. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    They use the exact same formulation as they did 30 years ago- Super hard tires that NEVER wear out.

The Goodyears I purchased suit the car perfectly- decent grip- excellent ride, good in the rain- they transform the car completely when compared to the TRX. They are really the best possible option for this tire size- as i wanted to keep the rolling radius the same and ensure the tires would fit the wheel openings correctly.

22. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    Hi all

I have no idea about the the compound i Goodyears, but having the BMW TRX's on my 400 and a set of original Ferrari TRX in the garage I can say that the compound in the BMW Michelins is not the same as the old Ferrari tires. The compound is significant softer and the feel of the surface is very much like the modern low profile tires we have on our daily driver.

They also feel very different to drive, partly because they are lower and wider (almost the same perimeter) with better stability, but mostly I think it is the threading and the softer compound.

I would certainly argue that there is a significant difference compared to the 30 years old Ferrari tires and may even go as far as arguing that Michelin used more modern compound in the later manufactored tires that what went into the original BMW tires.

My BMW tires are from 2006.

My 25 cents

23. kliko312

kliko312 Karting

May 21, 2008
    NLD
    Full Name:
    Graaf
    Jay,

I have bought 4 new TRX tyres for my 400 and the ride on those is really good.

Michelin produces those tyres with the latest rubber compounds though. A family member is an engineer at the Michelin factory and he told me so. They run one batch of TRX tyres a year (on average if demand is high).

I believe the newer tyres you have are even better than today's TRX's though and makes your 412 drive even better, and it still looks very good I think with those wheels.

24. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Hi

Yes I have 2 year old TRXs on my 400i- Ride is excellent- handling OK but in the wet they are just awful. I asked Coker tire when I was considering replacing the 24 yr old TRX on my 412 and they told me Michelin makes all the vintage metric tires with "Compounds as close to the originals as possible"... so somebody is not telling the truth- i have no idea who is right- My new TRX sure feel all soft and rubbery- nothing like the old rock hard tires.

But I gotta tell you- putting modern rubber on these creates a completely different driving experience- My 412 really bites into corners- handling is transformed- I can take very curvy stretches of road at very, very high speed and feel secure.

But new TRX's are a thousand times better than vintage TRX as far as ride and handling and noise are concerned- no doubt.

25. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    If I'm on the right path, I believe the 412 has ABS brakes which require a deeper dish wheel than for thr 400. So would the TR wheels "Fullgarage" used work on my 400? Would the deeper dish wheel fit in the wheel house of a 400? By the way I love the look and stance of your 412. I think the color keyed wheels are a perfect match to your car.I believe you made the right choice for wheels.

I have no interest in paying the bandido hold up prices of the TRX tires. We know that tire production costs are basicly the same either metric or inch. The tire molds have been amortised over ther 30 plus years these tires have been being used, if anything these tires should be much cheaper than new designed tires with current labor prices and mold costs. So who is really making the big bucks on these tires? It seems that Longstone and Coker are evenly priced factoring freight and taxes, so So I'm guessing the manufacturer is screwing their hostage customers. They say its because of limited production, and they are controling the production. I'm would never reccomend or purchase this brand of tire again, period.

Howard Musolf
    1981 308gtsi
    1982 400i Cabriolet
    1988 Lotus Esprit Turbo
    Maserati Spider
    2 many brass era cars