Getting ready to reproduce Dino Wheel Caps | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Getting ready to reproduce Dino Wheel Caps

Discussion in '206/246' started by rosemeyer, Mar 13, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    #101 Nuvolari, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have received my second batch of samples and they are near production quality now. A few more minor tweeks and I will give the go ahead for production. You cannot imagine the amount of time and going back and forth there is to get this project right. I've been down this path before which is why I only canvassed interest rather than collect any deposits.

The next step is to get the final samples and then perform the necessary durability tests on them before making the final parts. Please do not ask me how long this will be as I have no clue myself.

On that note I thought I would have some fun and ask the community here if the attached photo below is a real one or a reproduction. If you have an opinion state your reason :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

On my monitor (in my office) the script looks black, with silver outlining, so for me, the answer is that it is NOT an original. My oldest ones have blue script, with more of a cadmium gold-like outlining. Also, another one that I thought was my oldest has more of a chopped flair (flare? both potentially could be correct English, I guess) at the end of the "o" rather than the rounded ending.

Mark

3. savke

savke Rookie

Jul 14, 2012
    I am in for a set...can you contact me pls....thanks

4. Salmon&permit

Salmon&permit Karting

Apr 6, 2012
    London, UK
    I was wondering where you had got to with your reproductions? I am a relatively new Dino owner and checked mine last night.....def not original and pretty worn too: I would be up for buying a new set when you're ready to start selling.

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I'll put you on the list and contact you when they are ready. At present we are pleased with the final samples and are putting them through durability testing. I am cautious to offer a finish date but we are certainly closer to the end than the start :)

6. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    #106 Nuvolari, Nov 22, 2012
    Finally with a bunch of testing behind us we have the final sample from which we will approve production. In other words we are done with the testing and we will not start making the darn things. A few points to note:

1. We worked really hard on the colour and it is dead on. Just the right amount of green in the yellow without being too bright or too dark. If you think somehing looks off in the picture blame your monitor settings. In person they are just stunning.

2. On the back we had brand name 3M adhesive tape die cut and pre-applied. This will make install easier as the originals were glued on and will almost certainly ensure no lost caps.

3. The lens shape is perfectly replicated so is the 3d silvering of the Dino script.

Once we have our stock in hand we will solicit orders but in the meantime we will take note of all of the people who say they want a set including all of the PM's and e-mails we have received.

For now take in the beauty of these things. All work stopped for an hour at our place just to awe at them.

7. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Fantastic work Rob. Your perseverance and attention to detail is very much appreciated. Count me in for 4 sets minimum.

8. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    looks great, well done
    I take 4 sets too
    regards Matthias

9. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Great going guys! Perseverance does pay off :)
    Please count me in for two sets, possibly three.

Kind regards,
    Alberto

PS. My only complaint, is that they might be too good ;)

10. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    #110 HMB-Dino, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
    The Dino lettering looks very, very dark blue (almost black) in the pictures. I just checked my original wheel caps, and they have a slightly lighter blue, just like my original Dino horn button.

I also notice a thin yellow border between the silver border and the dark blue letters in your picture...none of mine have any such inner yellow border.

11. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Ron with over a dozen original caps to reference off of and over a year in process do you really think we would have missed two such fundamental details?

What you are seeing are tricks played by the flash and colour issues from the photo and monitor settings. I see these things in my sleep so I would hope you would have had a little more faith by now.

12. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Put us down for a couple of sets.....maybe more

13. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    TWO SETS for me too!!

Freeman

14. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    I have an infinite amount of faith in your diligence, dedication, and attention towards perfection and I commend you for taking on this and other such tasks. Your explanation makes a lot of sense...I hadn't thought of the flash `factor'.

By the way, I'm definitely in for a set of these as soon as they're available.

Now if I could just get you to start seeing L,M series engine lights in your sleep...;-)

15. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #115 swift53, Nov 23, 2012
    Sweet dreams....

Regards, Alberto

16. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    To me those switches are a nightmare but we are working hard to turn them into sweet dreams.

As for the caps they are very difficult to photograph as the 3D nature of the chrome script (the very detail no one has been able to replicate yet until now) causes all kinds of crazy reflections that are only magnified when you introduce a flash and then blow up the image. The yellow border that is seen is the flash picking up on the reflection of the yellow that surrounds the cap on the perimeter outside of the Dino script. The reality is that there is no yellow physically there so it would be impossible for there to be a 'leak' between the chrome and the blue.

The reality is that if you hold a cap in your hand it is just spectacular. We have a pile of different OEM caps and if you are really insane you will see variations in ALL of them. The yellows and blues are not consistent, the chrome is thicker on one and thinner on another, some are yellow on the back, others grey. Heck Ferrari dealers in the early 80's had some repro stock where the script was black and the edging was gold. I have seen NOS caps in the packaging with failing paint finishes so a little perspective is in order here.

Once on the car, all of this nit picking will seem absurd and if anyone bends over to really critique your caps it will be the perfect opportunity to kick them in the a$$ :D

17. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    And...as they say, go buy the other ones!

Freeman

18. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Those are two different variations...what are their respective p/n's?

And yes, you're such a tease!

19. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Was it good for you ;)?

Well Ron, no part numbers. One is by FOREDIT and the other is Vitaloni.
    Why? You got me. The Vitaloni, is a more 'logical' part, easier to make and
    without so many twists and turns. Possibly, of latter production, and most likely
    it cost 50 Lire less per unit.

All I can tell you, is I asked a old time friend in Italy, after sending him a photo of the FOREDIT, and he sent me back the one you see. No invoice, no comments, no part #.
    Cheap too, so evidently no idea on anybody's mind.
    I think it was a total fluke, as he said it was the last one and that he had to hunt around a bit, just as a favor to me.
    No plastic part bag, no number, just the switch with a bulb, OSRAM 5w, no less!

The only comment I can make, is that it is perfect and it is made in two nice halves, unlike the 'Rube Goldberg' FOREDIT.

That is the one we are going to evaluate to make a mold out of.
    A real steel mold, for injection production. It still will be easier, if cost effective, to make here as we don't have the zillion constraints of the 'modern' world.
    Plus, I have total control of the operation.

We'll see...

Regards, Alberto

20. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    we need the Foredit.....
    regards Matthias

21. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    We are working in the Foredit. Nothing else will do.

Now back to wheel caps. I believe the engine compartment light already has its own thread.

22. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Rob, you are absolutely right. Wrong thread.

Regards, Alberto

23. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Will the caps be available before XMAS?

Mark

24. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Sorry but they will not be ready to be stuffing any stockings this year.

25. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Darn it! Any updates? How about March 2013?