Getting around Apple TV -- direct to TV video | FerrariChat

Getting around Apple TV -- direct to TV video

Discussion in 'Technology' started by TheMayor, Aug 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    With Android you can directly run a wire from your phone to an HDMI output and put the images, movies, photos, etc on the screen. Basically mirror it directly with no other hardware but the wire.

But Apple won't let you do that with any of the fire wire phones or tablets (iphone 5 and up). If you wanted to mirror your phone mages to a TV, you had to use Apple TV.

I've tried it with limited success. A lot of times the connection is broken between the phone and the Apple TV. You have to manually start it again when it breaks. Or the video quality is poor and pixelated or freezes. And of course you need to buy an Apple TV which is like $150.

But about 3 months ago one of my electronic vendors showed me direct video out of an Iphone using a Dongle. Sure enough, someone made it. It works by tricking the Iphone into believing it's being charged (actually it is being charged). So you get the benefit of watching your Iphone on your TV by direct wire to HDMI and charging the phone at the same time. The image and sound quality is great.

I use it to stream Dodger videos from Reddit. Now, before you call me "cheap" even if you buy MLB.com its blacked out in LA. You need a VPN to get around it. I've done that too but this direct wire method is by far the best and more stable. 1080p with surround sound. Is it perfect? No. But darn good for $19.00

Just passing the info along. I have no relationship with the manufacturer.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

wax likes this.
  2. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    We use Apple TV and iPads allot. I’ve done national presentations with the combo. We bring our own mifi device to use as wireless network

Works perfect but it was not streaming.

Not sure I’d want to have to run a wire, I have too many cables as it is.

davidoloan likes this.