Getting Access to the Pit Walk | FerrariChat

Getting Access to the Pit Walk

Discussion in 'F1' started by PBRacer, Sep 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PBRacer

PBRacer Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Other than buying one of the big dollar VIP packages (I already have my seat tickets), how can I get a ticket to the pit lane walk? In Austin

2. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    In Austin it's been just for Paddock Club & other paddock passholders (& maybe PSL owners, but not sure).

3. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I don't know about Austin, but IIRC, *most* races allow you to get in there at some point on Thursday (only). Beyond that, without a fancy ass ticket, you're hosed I believe.

Unless, apparently, you have the BS'ing skills of Krafty's buddy who apparently got in at Monza sans any ticket!.... I too would love to know how he did that these days..... ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

4. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I'd be surprised if it included PSL owners; They're not lining Bernie's pockets after all!

Cheers,
    Ian

5. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #5 kraftwerk, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :)

Awesome!

Maybe it was Thursday?

Cheers,
    Ian

7. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'll let ya know..when I find out...;)

8. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Cool - Maybe via PM - I'm debating going to Austin this year..... ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

9. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    i did it with a vip pass in monaco. most interesting thing was watching two groupies talk their way into a "meeting" with a popular driver. ;)

10. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Well, duh! :D

Sorry man, just kidding! :)

:)

No doubt!

And how "discrete" of you not to mention his name.... :)

Cheers,
    Ian

11. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'am hazarding a guess here, but maybe looking the part may have a bit to do with it, yer know impostor type looking, may I suggest some Lewis Hamilton-Merc attire ...:D and not as Viz may suggest, Simon Cowell high pants style..;)

......Running for cover ...;)

12. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
  13. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    No need. Everyone knows it was Kimi.

14. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :D

Smart guy that Kimi! ;)

It may not be a big deal, he's from Finland after all, but I doubt it. ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I could bring an extra uniform shirt, but if you get caught in it, you stole it!!!

16. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    #16 spirot, Sep 13, 2014
    I think I'm going, but not sure yet. Usually as part of Lotus & Coca Cola...

getting into the Paddock & Pit is virtually impossible unless you climb a fence etc... in austin its pretty impossible unless you can slip by ... the passes are magnetic and have a proximity chip in each of them that alow you to gain entry to paddock... pit lane entry is either by Grid pass or by pit walk for Paddock club guests.. this is manual check.

but they also look for the wrist band which is a cloth Paddock club with a one way holder... and your pass is given a tiny sticker with a chip in it prior to getting into the club.

In Monza - i have no idea how you get in now a days - there is a huge fence around the paddock so maybe that works. but the days of sweet talking your way in is gone as each person goes through the turnstiles - even those in wheel chairs aka Frank Williams....

pics from last year Austin - my buddy Kurt waiting for Pit walk.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Wow! Sounds cool. What kinda uniform shirt?

18. "StormBringer"

BANNED

May 20, 2014
    Greenwich/Malibu
    That first race was interesting to say the least. The first day(and only day) that I drove to track the people working there were so friendly you could just about drive anywhere without any trouble. The other days we just heli in much easier. Rode with Alonso with bikes checking out the entire track stopping from time to time taking mental notes.

Not sure if attending this year because Halloween is a big celebration in my home.

If interested this was the first race in Austin and Ferrari N.A. was very gracious to my guest in the EOD Wounded Warrior program.

The United States now has a permanent home for Formula One racing in Austin, Texas. I've heard the figure of $400 million has been spent building this track with all the support facilities. I'm sure a big chunk was for licensing fees to Eclestone to host a Formula One race. Watkins Glen hosted Formula 1 for over 20 years and then there were temporary tracks built in cities such as Phoenix, Detroit, and the Indy 500 site.

Arrived in Austin Thursday just in time to catch an Aerosmith concert. Never had the chance to see them perform live, other than at the Super Bowl, and my daughters were excited to meet them. I have to say first off Austin is a friendly city. There were countless events built around this week of racing. I understand over 100 music acts, both great art, film and music festivals took place. Downtown over 11 city blocks were closed off to cars for the people to enjoy walking and enjoying that entertainment area. As I stated the people were very friendly and helpful.

I've been to other Texan cities such as Dallas and San Antonia(never forget it being 111 degrees in the shade by the river walk) but never Austin. I missed Friday mornings first practice session at the track because I had noticed a few great antique stores the night before. I bought a few unique pieces and I was told this area was known for its antiques.

I understand during the first practice session EVERYONE was sliding around on the track. This was understandable because the track was just finished and sand and construction dust was still on the tracks surface. The track was not rubbered in as the term goes. It was also very chilly in the morning so that combined with a new track made it exciting to see the cars go through the curves.

Arrived at the track via heli and I understand there were over 600 trips booked according to this contractor providing the service. All the people were very helpful directing you to where you wanted to go. Not the usual you don' belong here or what are you doing in this area, the people actually asked you where you wanted to go. Spent the afternoon in the Ferrari guests hospitality area because the previous week I had made arrangements with Ferrari to host a man(David) that was in the Wounded Warrior EOD program. I also liked to talk to my racer friend from Brasil and catch up on things.

Second practice on Friday the track times a little lower but some drivers described it like tires are ice cubes sliding around the track. Still not enough rubber left on the track since they were using mostly the harder compound tires. Had a meet and greet with Mario Andretti, the tracks ambassador. It seems like yesterday that he had just won in Long Beach. I actually had to ask someone and was told it was about 35 years ago!

Also had a chance to catch the view on the 250 foot tower platform. Beautiful view with a see through floor! I understand that other circuits are inquiring about getting this feature built at their venue.

Friday evening I met David and a bunch of Ferrari personnel(engineers and mechanics) at a blues and western themed venue. Imagine a bunch of Italians at a western/blues bar. There were a bunch of musical acts that I never heard before and the night was interesting. Much debate over rules and new rules going into effect for next year. From what David told me these guys were really treating him like one of the family.

Saturday's morning practice the lap times were decreasing but still a very slippery track. After the mornings practice the track was given over to the over 35 former Formula 1 race cars to use. Some vintage racers from past and present. My daughters had brought their racing helmets with them and I told them they probably wouldn't get a chance to use them. WRONG! There was this unique two seater race car that was made some time ago and each one had a chance to be driven on the track. They are use to be close to the ground when racing their carts but being at 18 inches from the ground at speed had an impression on them.

Saturday afternoon qualifying time and lap times are getting lower. Vettel fastest lap and Hamilton right behind him. Hamilton will end up on the dirty side of the track. Had a chance to talk to other teams like Lotus and McLaren and everyone is happy to be back in the US racing.

I just want to give a shout out to Ferrari North America which is based in Jersey. The people in the VIP/hospitality suites treated my guest like royalty. I understand Ron Howard the actor/director sat down and ate lunch with David. Ron was a guest all week in the Ferrari area, not sure if he was working on his racing film "Rush" because I didn't get a chance to speak with him. He does have a residence in my town and this is one man that I never heard a bad thing about...only good. I arranged for some of the Ferrari crew to stop by a real good old fashioned boot maker that I found in town. Everything hand tooled, boots, saddles, belts and half the shop is shared with a silversmith. So I treated whomever made it to the shop to a hat, boots, belt and an American made silver belt buckle.

Ferrari was also host to their Ferrari Challenge all weekend and on Saturday night they auctioned off the first US F12 Berlinetta for $1.12 million and I understand their entire fund raiser topped $1.5 which went towards the Sandy relief effort via American Red Cross.

So Sunday morning the GT3 cup race took place along with the Ferrari Challenge race. Pit Lane was opened up for the Paddock Club to walk through and then the drivers parade took place. Race started at 1pm local time. Hamilton lost a few places on the start because he was on the dirty side. Interesting thing before the race Ferrari broke the seal on their car in order to lose 5 places so Massa could start on the clean side!

I thought it was a great race. Hamilton eventually near the end took the lead until the end and won. I am glad to see him win before he moves to another team next year. Vettel took 2Nd place and Alonso and Massa for Ferrari took 3rd and 4Th respectively.

The championship will have to wait until next week with the final race in Brasil! Vettel leads Alonso by 13 points in the championship so this next race will decide it all. Alonso is tough in Brasil is all I can say but Vettel and Red Bull have been coming on strong.

All I can say is the people were great in Austin, the track impressive and my girls are already planning on a return trip!

19. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    #19 spirot, Sep 15, 2014
    some more pics...

20. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    not sure it will work without the main pass. probably not. but if it will my phone is 8592278408. I out bid all for the UBS FCA package. I do not walk well so will not us it every day.