Getting Abs: At this point should I focus solely on cutting fat instead of lifting? | FerrariChat

Getting Abs: At this point should I focus solely on cutting fat instead of lifting?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Aaya, Sep 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aaya

Aaya F1 Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wu Tsai
    #1 Aaya, Sep 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey all. I feel like I'm getting fairly close to a six pack, maybe within 15-20 pounds. At this point should I focus on burning off all the fat via cardio?

Or should I continue weight lifting and running? Or should I just run until I die every day until I reach my goal?

Stats
    Weight: 199
    Height: 5'10"
    Waist: 36"
    Neck: 15.5
    Body Fat: 19.8%

Here's a picture for reference.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I'd keep doing cross-training...

Running, lifting, eating right, etc. Building muscle will burn calories faster. Don't stop lifting and don't stop aerobic types of exercise.

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    No soda or chips.

4. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    #4 GG, Sep 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Abs are a muscle, so you need to eat well, feed your body the right amount of protein, and TRAIN that muscle group for them to be even EXIST, let alone be visible.

I've been really lazy when it comes to core exercises and I've never really targetted my abs, so even in this picture taken yesterday (at 5'11, 175lbs, probably 14%bf), my abs are 100% non-existent.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    +1

6. RyanMinor

RyanMinor Karting

Aug 23, 2007
    Cave Creek, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ryan Minor
    #6 RyanMinor, Sep 29, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
    In order to see abs you will need to eat properly. There simply is no way around it. However, you will also want to continue to lift weights as though you are trying to build muscle (3 sets per exercise x 8-10 reps). Muscle is a very powerful fat burner. As far as cardio goes, I do mine after i lift for the reason that lifting weights depletes your muscle glycogen stores. The only source of energy that is left after muscle glycogen is depleted is fat. Do 30 minutes on the treadmill or elliptical following your weight training. Then have a whey isolate protein shake. When it comes to diet, you should probably try to get around 15 times your bodyweight in calories every day. Make 45% of those calories carbohydrates, 35% protein, and 20% fat. A common misconception among people trying to lose fat is to cut carbs completely. I don't believe in this as your body needs fuel and carbs are your body's primary source of fuel. Instead of "No Carb", opt for "Slow Carb", meaning slow digesting and low glycemic carbohydrates such as Steel-Cut Oats, Barley, Brown Rice, and Green Vegetables. Your protein should come from lean sources such as fish, tuna, skinless chicken breasts, turkey, whey isolate protein shakes (post-workout), beans, and lean beef. Fats should come from nuts, and essential fat containing foods and supplements. Remember to drink lots of water and stay away from refined sugars as these will cause an unhealthy spike in insulin levels. Here is a sample workout:
    Monday: Chest (bench press, incline dumbbell press, flat dumbbell fly), Abs, 30 minutes cardio
    Tuesday: Back (barbell row, seated row, lat pulldown), Abs, 30 minutes cardio
    Wednesday: Legs (leg press, leg extension, leg curl, standing/seated calf raise), Abs, 30 minutes cardio
    Thursday: Shoulders (seated barbell military press, rear dumbbell raise, side dumbbell raise), Abs, 30 minutes cardio
    Friday: Arms (standing barbell curl, incline dumbbell curl, lying dumbbell skull crusher, rope pushdown), Abs, 30 minutes cardio
    Saturday: REST
    Sunday: REST
    The exercises above can be changed according to preference. This is just a sample workout that has worked well for me. I am developing a fitness website that should be launched shortly and will contain tons of info regarding topics like this. I will post a link when it is done. If there is anything else I can do let me know.

7. luv2detail

luv2detail Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2006
    North Carolina & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Like Ryan said, I'd keep up the weight lifting AND running/cardio. (1-2 punch for the fat;))
    Looking at your picture and your stats, I'd say you have a little more fat to burn. In guys, the abs will usually start to show at around 10%.

8. sdtradingguy

sdtradingguy Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    +1 also.

Do 10min a day of ab workouts. Change it up and vary it.

At your stated weight and bf you need to get it down to around 10% to really have the abs show. Now that number varies with people, but that's usually the number you need. So your weight at 10% will be around 180#. So I'd lay off of the sugar, junk carbs etc. With a clean diet, and the exercises they'll come. You can lose 1-2# a week safely. So you could have the look you want by Christmas or sooner. Also, be careful of losing it to fast and keep the protein high. You want to lose the fat and not the muscle.

9. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Brad,

You've received some good advice here, but I want to caution you just a little bit. Not to discourage you but I don't think a six pack is right around the corner. I congratulate you on your progress and you are going in the right direction. Just follow the basic principles and and ab workout building your abs is a great idea. Though just remember building your ab muscles and burning ab fat are two separate necessary tasks to get the six-pack you want. It doesn't happen overnight and might not happen for awhile. So think of this as a long term, say, one year goal and you would be more realistic.

Keep us posted.

10. Aaya

Aaya F1 Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wu Tsai
    If I believed that it would take a year, I'd bend over and let Jose Consaco inject steroids right into my ass, then run a marathon every other day. I'll keep you updated, but it won't take a year.

11. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    #11 TG, Sep 30, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
    It took me a solid year, and not to mention maintaining once you get where your goal was. I'm cruising around 5-6% body fat right now as a result. But there's training, tennis, and walking every night after dinner that I combine weekly. My diet is very strict as well to some standards, but easy to me.

12. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    How do you find out your body fat %?

13. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    The easiest is with skinfold calipers. Any gym should have these. You can just ask them you want to measure you bf%.

I believe the most accurate measurement is by hydrostatic weighing. I think that's what it's called. But it's quite a involved process.

There are other ways, but those are the two most common.

14. sdtradingguy

sdtradingguy Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    #14 sdtradingguy, Sep 30, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
    Tgood, that bf% is ideal to show true "washboard" abs. Great job btw.

To get the basic abs, I think he could do it in 3months. To get 5-6% abs, I'd say at least 6months if he wants to avoid losing to much muscle while losing the weight. You have to do it slowly with 1-2lb a week or you risk losing muscle etc.

Here is a website (no affiliation and I have not reviewed the content) with someone who's lost weight and then built muscle. Each pic is 1 week difference.

http://www.johnstonefitness.com/all/front/w.php

--I guess you have to go to the website, then on the left side click pictures, then scroll down and click pics (front view) by week.

15. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Brad,

Good luck......

Others, unless you are planning on competing, I think you should consider your overall health. 5-6% bodyfat is very low especially if you have gotten out of your twenties. Consider keeping a little stored in case you fall sick or ill.

16. Aaya

Aaya F1 Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wu Tsai
    I just got out of college not my 20's! I heard the last person to notice you're getting old is yourself, guess it's true.

Thanks again for all the advice, I'll be checking out that website.

17. Sieze Giorno

Sieze Giorno Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2005
    Florida
    Try P90X out for us.....

18. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    To give a better idea, I'm 6'1" and when I started this health streak/goal I was around 190lb., now I've been consistently at 165lb. since last February. I went from size L in tops to M.

19. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    5 - 6% is too low IMO. Under 10% basically all looks the same, but the level of difficulty to go from 10 -> 9 -> 8 etc increases exponentially, to the point that it's not worth it unless you're competing.

How do you figure that you're at 5 or 6%? Calipers?

20. Samimi

Samimi Formula 3

Oct 17, 2005
    North of the 49th
    Full Name:
    S.
    Has anyone taken a look at www.iwantsixpackabs.com?

There's a very good regiment on the site, with video samples of the exercises.

21. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Really? I'm surprised with your height you wouldn't need L. I'm 5'10" and small frame and I've always worn M's.

22. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    Yes. It wasn't easy, and still isn't. I never made it a direct goal, I made a vision for myself and stuck with it. Now I'm convinced you can do anything in a year if you are aware and focused, outside of health as well.

23. Kelsa

Kelsa F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2005
    Adult Toy Land
    Full Name:
    Crazy Chinaman
    cardio, ab workout and compound excerises, less weight, but more training days.

24. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I saw a commercial for that the other day. Anyone here tried it?

25. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    If you're going to bother with any fat-burning supplement, it might as well be Clen...