German Ferrari Collector killed while trailering his 599 GTB to dealer | FerrariChat

German Ferrari Collector killed while trailering his 599 GTB to dealer

Discussion in '612/599' started by Marcel Massini, Apr 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #1 Marcel Massini, Apr 21, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    Yesterday, Tuesday, 20th April 2021, a German businessman and Ferrari collector (who also owned a 330 GTC Coupé) was trailering with a BMW Alpina Station Car his grey 599 GTB from Hannover-Burgwedel (Germany) to official dealer Gohm. The 65 year old driver somehow lost control of the BMW and crashed his BMW with the 599 GTB on the trailer into the armco barrier. From behind arrived a 67 year old driver in a darkgrey Porsche Macan, unable to stop he crashed (t-boned) into the left side of the BMW. Sadly the German Ferrari owner in the BMW was killed in this tragedy. Damage is estimated in excess of Euro € 150'000. The Porsche Macan is hidden behind the 599 GTB on the trailer and the BMW Station Car.
    Information supplied by German police and various news reports.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    That's very sad. RIP.

3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That looks like a very survivable crash, apparently airbags deployed. I wonder if he had a medical condition that contributed to the crash in the first place.

blkfxstc likes this.
  4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    No.
    The (deceased) owner for the first time ever tried to drive a car with a trailer and a car on top of it. Zero experience. He chose the wrong type of trailer, the 599 GTB was too heavy and way too far back on trailer (wrongly positioned).
    As soon as he accelerated his BMW station wagon (with trailer) it got out of control and he collided with the armco. In the meantime, the Porsche Macan arrived from behind at autobahn speed.
    A real tragedy due to massive error and overconfidence.

Marcel Massini

5. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I have a 5 series wagon very similar to this. It’s no Ford super duty, but it is an ok towing car (I was towing well over a tonne of rocks with mine this evening with no bother at all). Rated towing limit is 2000kg though, so he probably was a bit over the limit with the trailer included.

Very sad though. For what little it’s worth in these situations, at least the 599 looks to be unscathed.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    William M (B.J.) Lyon, Jr.
    The 599 was too far back on the trailer, creating a rear weight bias instead of the desired forward weight bias. Lack of tongue weight will swing the tow car violently out of control as shown by the photo. The BMW was too light or small for this tow. I learned this lesson the hard way myself. Sad and preventable.

7. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    @bamaman Absolutely. Not enough tongue weight will literally pull the tow vehicle violently side to side at some speed, and that looks like what happened. A 10K# trailer needs 1k# of tongue weight. That would have that BMW dragging its under carriage and the operator probably moved the car back on the trailer to reduce that and made it worse. Very sad.

tritone, Texas Forever and Nospinzone like this.
  8. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I hear what you guys are saying, but the 599 could hardly be any further forward on the trailer. Also, the incline on the trailer seems to be because the dolly wheel at the tow bar is holding it up.

Ideally, you dont want there to be too much or too little yoke (tongue) weight. A neutrally balanced load will behave best.

9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I don't know the weight balance on the 599, but on my 612 it is 48 front and 52 rear. If the 599 is similar, looking from the photo the centerline of the car is too far back from the centerline between the two trailer wheels. It looks like the 599 could have been up to 1 foot further forward.

10. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Very Sad indeed - RIP

11. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    IMO only thing to tow with cars are jetski's everything else should be towed by large pickup trucks

Anthony James likes this.
  12. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    Look at the 599, unless it rolled it is far too back and not enough tongue weight. Being back heavy like that I’m curious of the old man didn’t have experience loading s trailer, it would sway like crazy loaded like that.

13. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Don't think so guys. 599 is v12 front engine heavy car. Bias is like 52% front. 599 plus trailer is like 5000-6000lbs pulled by a car about 3700lbs. Simply wrong tool for the job and wrong choice for newbie to tow himself. Sad because the impact was not much or the 599 would be off the trailer too. The problem is getting hit in the driver door is a bad day towing or not. I cringe at the threads on Fchat when a clearly inexperienced owner wants to tow his Ferrari to a concourse in another state to safe the miles and reduce damage. The sad thing is that owner risks even more damage and injury if lucky only comes away with scrapes and scratches he never bargained for.

George Vosburgh and brogenville like this.
  14. Nicolas21

Nicolas21 Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2016
    Near a nuclear powerplant
    Full Name:
    Nicolas
  15. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Wow, hate to hear/see this...but yes, looking at the pictures, that was just a bad situation from the start. I'm careful about what I tow with my v6 Silverado, even though it's geared for towing. Makes me wonder why a Ferrari collector wouldn't just hire for that job. RIP.

16. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    Wiki, Car and Driver and other online sources report curb weight of the 599 at 3,953 pounds with a front/rear distribution of 47/53 percent (1,858/2,095 pounds).

17. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    So sad to hear about this...and yes, towing is not something to take lightly. Like someone else said, I would just rather put the miles on the car.

18. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    how is the trailer jack down - wheel touching ground ?