George Soros: The Lord of the Democrats? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

George Soros: The Lord of the Democrats?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by maranelloman, Nov 20, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Tyler: I still think the right to own a gun must be protected. Not calling for its abolishment. Glad to hear your friend is still alive (curious: what kind of establishment?).

BK: thanks for the link, going through it now.

Dave: My mistake, going through BK's link. As for Soros, MLambert had some interesting counter-points. I'm still gonna get you hammered to get it out of you! :D

--Dan

2. ART360

ART360 Guest

Dave:

Just got back from a day at the track (gokarts), just read the new posts. I think that everyone here has missed the point: the current laws leave a good many loopholes in the law, examples are the sale of weapons at guns shows which have a background check, but the check doesn't come back before the gun is already transfered, or other exceptions to the background check. Those types of loopholes are allowing the sale of weapons to those who shouldn't have them. While stricker enforcement might help on some issues, the suicide/murder type of crimes is somewhat absent in that type of circumstance.

The issue is, we need better control over weapons. Period. Sure criminals will get weapons. But why in the world would we make it easy for them? Those who preach against controls, are preaching against keeping our children alive (most of these murders affect those under 30). I don't think that makes any sense. As to North's book, the plot may be fiction, but the laws he talks about aren't, the politics about gun control, aren't. Well researched and factual on the issues, not the story.

Art

3. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    Thank you Horsefly.

4. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Bobafett: "OH - I have one other question for all of the pro-gun extremists who defend their rights to own guns..."
    ----------------------------
    Those darn extremist Framers and that pesky Bill of Rights...!

5. mlambert890

mlambert890 Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2002
    CA
    Sorry, but that's just not true. NYC is actually extremely low on this list across the board in crime. Dallas, for example, has triple the murder rate of NYC per capita. NYC is just a nice scapegoat for folks on both sides of any argument.

As for George, my opinions are based on personal experience and are probably not changeable in casual discussion on a web board, so best to agree to disagree. It's Mark, by the way...

6. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    bobafett, you are wrong. It is not just controling guns. More than one gun control advocate on more than one occasion has stated that their out right goal is total confiscation. Also about holding the gun companies responsible-when you run down some poor soul with your new 360 should ferrari be held responsible? I dont think so. Guns are merely man made tools that can do as much good in the right hands as bad in the wrong hands. When they are misused, hold the criminal responsible. How come when ever a gun is used in a crime or when a child is accidently shot the news just loves to jump all over it, but did you ever just once read in the paper about some guy saving his family from an armed burg. or some women saving herself from being raped because she had a gun. The news just loves to ignore the times an inocent life has been saved because an armed inocent was able to defend themselves from the scum that is allowed to roam the streets due to things like for ex. in the state of NY the avg. time served for murder is about 7 years.

7. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Just your ideas, not you. Maybe you need to read it a 3rd time.

8. mlambert890

mlambert890 Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2002
    CA
    What is the source of that statistic? Murder in NY state carries a mandatory minimum of 15 years and a maximum of life. NY is notoriously tough with sentencing.

I agree that it's ludicrous to hold gun companies responsible for gun violence. The only exception would be if it could be proven that gun companies were somehow contributing to creating an environment where circumventing gun laws became easier. I don't think that's the case.

9. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

First of all: Mark Lambert, I am sorry I got your first name wrong. I know a Mike Lambert, and typed that on autopilot!!!

Art, those "children" under 30 who are getting killed, often using guns, are, in the VAST majority, GANG MEMBERS engaged in regular, organized criminal activity. I have no sympathy for their demise--only for the innocents who get in their crossfire. As for these loopholes, again, I postulate that they are only a problem for the limousine liberals. Very, VERY few crimes are actually committed using guns acquired at gun shows or via private transfers, despite the hysterical rhetoric of the left, especially out there in Kalifornia.

As I indicated, I have other data to post, under a fresh thread, which I will do when I get it transcribed.

10. randall

randall Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Portsmouth, VA
    Full Name:
    Randall
    "It just seems to me that no matter how many gun laws you make the criminals will still get the guns. They are criminals, they don't care about thwarting the laws."

Gun control, mixed with the right penal system does lower crime. You can ignore that fact all you want, but it doesn't make it any less true. Our penal system sucks and always will, and that is a whole other discussion.

"More than one gun control advocate on more than one occasion has stated that their out right goal is total confiscation."

I haven't seen anyone on this group say that, but yes there are extremeists out that that feel that way. There's also more than one gun owning fanatic that thinks you should be able to own any weapon that you desire (even nuclear arms).

Some simple standardized gun control is good. All weapons registered, safety courses, 72 hour wait periods and no casual ownership of automatic weapons is simple and good. Many laws that vary from county to county don't really help anyone.

11. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    "(curious: what kind of establishment?)."

Dan, his store was high end collectibles(stamps, coins, antiquities, etc.) He is retired now.

12. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    In response to the idea of gun manufacturers having some financial accountability: until they DO make it harder to get the guns (or rather, they don't make it so much easier), I hold that they deserve some of the punishent.

--Dan

13. ART360

ART360 Guest

DAve:

I'm unsure of the amount of crime that these types of sales are involved in. I do know a family who lose someone from exactly those circumstances. I don't think that they would appreciate your characterization of their concern.

Art

14. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Oh, come on, Art. Please spare me the self righteous indignation. I know people whose families have suffered damages and/or deaths due to knives, baseball bats, rat poison, autos whose parking brake was not put on, autos driven by drunks, etc. We can all find the anomalies, and they are all tragic...but none really cry out to add to the mountain of laws regulating said products. In the mainstream, stolen guns account for the VAST majority of firearm crime. That's where the focus of law enforcement should be--and is.

Unlike lawyers, the majority of other non-lawyer Americans know that adding yet more laws to the 22,000+ on the books will not reduce crime. Look at England, which is now awash in firearms crime...and firearms have been outlawed...and those morons are prosecuting for murder normal folks who use a banned firearm to defend the lives of their families from murderers...and getting convictions...and the criminals (not in prison) are being allowed to sue their victims (in prison). And yet this is the scheme that the anti 2nd amendment crowd here constantly cites as giving them wet dreams.

15. ART360

ART360 Guest

Dave:

That's a great argument, but unfortunately it really doesn't address the issue: in this specific incident, we, as a society, have determined that we want background checks. We've enacted numerous laws regarding that issue. One of those laws allows people to get around the background check. Why not fix it?

As to your comments about this family. One death is too many. I assure you that there are more. It apears to be a callous remark just because the fix doesn't comport with your ideology. WE have a no tolerance point of view regarding illegal drugs, why not the same thing here? Politics is the only reason, and its a shame.

Art

16. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    "in this specific incident, we, as a society, have determined that we want background checks."

WE, AS A SOCIETY, didn't decide any such thing. The Brady Bill, the assault rifle ban, and its background check baloney was rammed down the citizens's throats by the politicians in Washington. WHEN DID THE AMERICAN CITIZENS EVER GET A CHANCE TO VOTE YES, OR NO, ON THE BRADY BILL???

WE NEVER HAD THAT CHANCE AT ALL. Sarah Brady and Billy Boy cried the standard gun control sob story and ram rodded the Brady Bill through congress. I remember reading that one of Arkansas's senators said at the time that "even though he knew most of the Arkansas citizens were against the assault rifle ban and the Brady Bill, he still could not in good conscience NOT vote for it." We're all in deep trouble when our elected officials ADMIT that they REFUSE to vote the way that their citizens want them to vote. All the average citizen can do is call his congressman and hope his opinion won't get stashed away in a pile of papers to be ignored.

They way the anti-gun whiners scream and moan, you would think that the Second Amendment FORCES them to own a gun. Their enthusiasm and zeal for attacking a Constitutional Amendment ranks them right up there with other treasonous criminals who should be flown out of the country free of charge and dropped out of a plane with a parachute over downtown London since they seem to LOVE England so much.

17. randall

randall Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Portsmouth, VA
    Full Name:
    Randall
    I notice you all mention England when talking about banning guns, why not refer to Singapore or Japan, where gun ownership is also illegal? I'm not for banning private ownership, but these comparisons are always used as a convenience and it gets to be tiring to listen to over and over.

18. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Which culture is most comparable to that of the US? I don't think it's Singapore or Japan.

19. ART360

ART360 Guest

The issue isn't that we want to take your toys away. We do want to regulate a product that is unsafe in the wrong hands. Stop sniveling that your little toys are gonig to be regulate, and realize that unstable people should not have access to them. When the gun lovers realize that, then, and only then will rational discourse occur. When deaths can be avoided for little intrusion, we ought to go with life everytime. I don't understand the opposing position, it reminds me of little kids crying when someone wants to take away their toys. Come on, lets be adults here. We can save more than a few lives with little intrusion upon people. Seems like a good balance to me.

Hinkley was a prime example of a nutcase getting access to something that should not have been allowed. Sarah and Jim Brady we absolutely right to push for this, but their friend abandoned them (republican party) over that issue, after they had given so much to that Party. Tells you a little about their former friends, doesn't it?

Art