Gearbox filter (182100) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Gearbox filter (182100)

Discussion in '360/430' started by AmoCS, May 4, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    so the rear bumper does not have to be removed?

2. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex

3. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco

4. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Alex,
    Thanks for the follow up, it's exactly as I suspected. I think I'm going to do that mod just so I can easily do all of the fluid changes in the future. I just hope that a future buyer doesn't get bent out of shape that I modified the bumper. If it was me, I would be happy, as long as it didn't show too bad when looking at the car. Plus I would know that he maintained it properly.
    I also like that this mod wil prevent the dealer from screwing up the bumper or paint by removing it.

5. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    great info.

6. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Alex - that's a great mod. First time I pulled that damn bumper off to check that filter (and find it totally clean !!!) I asked myself why on earth the factory didn't make provision for easier removal.

I "thought" about doing what you did but didn't progress it. I will definitely do so next time around.

Well done. Nice job indeed.

7. fastguy1012

fastguy1012 Rookie

Oct 30, 2012
    SO. CAL.
    Full Name:
    ANTHONY
    Can someone advise...What formula of MOLYKOTE do I need?
    I think there is 55, 111, and a few others.

Any direction greatly appreciated.

Can I get away with just rubbing some oil on the o ring?

Thanks!

8. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I get by just rubbing some gear-oil on the rings anyway! :)

9. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I LOVE this idea!! I frankly hate removing the bumper to get to this filter. I also think another hole and grommet would be great so that we could drain the gearbox without removing the floor. It might be an idea to make it a bit bigger (say 2"), to make it easier to get in there.

Since there are holes and grommets for the engine oil, it would only make sense to have the same for the gearbox. The last time I pulled the floor, it was such a pain and a wrestling match to put back.

Has anyone measured the area to drill the hole, so that you can get relatively close without dropping the floor?

10. fastguy1012

fastguy1012 Rookie

Oct 30, 2012
    SO. CAL.
    Full Name:
    ANTHONY
    Thanks for everyone's comments.
    I am happy to say ... after changing my differential oil, cleaning the mesh filter, changing my oil and dealing with both filters and draining my coolant and re filling... including with WATER WETTER.....A smashing success!
    My wife and I took her on a freeway run and ate at the YARDHOUSE in Temecula California.
    My 360 ran cool, fast and with no issues.
    And yes... I cut a hole for easier access to the differential filter and I plugged it with carbon fiber.... looks really exotic .... IMHO :)

Now... I just need to know... if I drain some of the F1 fluid from the overflow container... and replace it with new DEXTRON III... Should I worry if there was synthetic already in the system. I have no idea what is in there now... and the CASTROL is non synthetic...
    Probably nothing to worry about... but im not ready for a full drain and service yet.

Thanks too all... I could never have done anything without you all helping!!!

11. Mozella

Mozella Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2013
    Piemonte, Italia
    #36 Mozella, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
    I ordered a rubber chassis plug from my local Fiat dealer but after two weeks it hasn't come in. Not wanting to wait any longer, I robbed the one from near the driver's left knee (LHD model) which covers the fuel cut off inertia switch reset.

It requires a 35mm hole which is a tiny bit smaller than desired. A WD40 can top works for a marking template. I used a white paint marker. The hole should NOT be centered on the screen holder since it has that little ear for the retaining bolt. Put the hole slightly off center. It doesn't matter which direction since you can rotate the screen once it's partially out. I cut the hole with a Dremmel tool and used the small sanding drum to smooth the edges to make the hole exactly 35mm.

Then I took a round file and put a small notch in the hole to accommodate the mounting ear. You should make it as small as possible so that you can just manage to extract the screen. You want to keep the hole edge as round and intact as possible so that the rubber plug won't fall out. Don't just enlarge the entire diameter.

My car, and presumably my screen, is pretty old so I spent some time teasing it out. I first rotated it a few degrees using a big screwdriver and then pried VERY carefully on the now-exposed edge of the ear using the transmission as a fulcrum. Then I rotated it the opposite direction a few degrees and pried on the other edge of the ear. A bit of wiggling and fiddling finally released the filter housing which was rather reluctant to come out. I'm glad I took my time since acquiring a replacement part at this point would cause a significant delay.

My screen was really clogged; it was a bit shocking actually. The metal pieces weren't as big as the ones in the earlier photo in this thread but the junk in my transmission clogged the screen more thoroughly because the pieces were smaller. Most of it was fine steel chips. I suspect the screen had not been changed for a long time and perhaps never. That's why I hesitate to pay big bucks for a "full service" because it is often not done correctly even by snooty dealerships. I'm trying to convince myself that my transmission is not self destructing based on the very small amount of ultra fine steel fuzz I found on the magnetic drain plug.

I found that the screen was still somewhat clogged after cleaning it with a solvent so I sprayed it with a strong degreasing soap and ran hot water into the hole in the side of the screen housing. Then by putting a compressed air source into the hole, I was able to force the hot water and soap out through the screen to blast it clean.

I used a long 14mm socket as a tool to gently and evenly tap the filter housing back into the transmission because it takes some effort to get the O ring started. Do NOT draw it home with the small securing bolt because you are bound to break off the plastic ear.

My securing bolt required almost no torque to remove, so I cleaned it up and reinstalled it using a drop of low strength thread locking compound.

This mod isn't quite invisible, but nearly so. I think it's well worth it because taking the bumper off just to check this screen is a real PITA. I intend to change transmission fluid and check this screen again when I change oil next year.

Now I have to order a replacement rubber plug for my fuel cut off switch. I hope it doesn't cost more than three hundred bucks. ;)

12. BMWManiac

BMWManiac Karting

Apr 22, 2007
    Aberdeen, MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Wow, makes you want to flush your transmission and diff almost every fluid change!

13. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I'm not sure why you are all talking about removing the bumper or cutting a hole. My mechanic did my annual service and removed the under tray to drain the engine oil -- I could plainly see the gearbox filter.
    Alan

14. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    There are 2 separate filters. The one you saw is on the right side of the car. It is cleaned with the engine oil, and it is easily accessed with the under tray removed. The one that is spoken about in this thread is for the transmission fluid and it is on the left side of the car, all the way back. It's tucked all the way back in the transmission behind the rear bumper. The only way to get at it is to remove the rear bumper........or of course if a hole is drilled in the proper spot on the bumper ;)

15. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Chris
    Ah -- I didn't know there was one on the engine as well. The one I saw looked exactly like the gearbox filter and I even asked him if that was the one -- maybe I was confused. Are the two the same design -- plastic with a single bolt holding it in?
    Thanks
    Alan

16. Mozella

Mozella Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2013
    Piemonte, Italia
    Just to clear things up (I hope), neither of these are actually filters; they're screens designed to catch the big pieces and prevent damage to the pumps. The one on the right has two "ears" which fit over studs and it's held in place by self locking nuts. It's for the engine oil pump. Mine is black plastic.

The one further aft on the left side is for the transmission/differential pump. Mine is light tan colored plastic and it has only one "ear". It's held in place by a small bolt.

Yes, with the aft under tray removed you can clearly see both screens and you can easily remove the engine oil screen. However, in spite of being able to see the transmission/differential screen, you can't remove it without either removing the bumper or cutting a hole in the side of the diffuser.

Sad to say, it seems that many a Ferrari is serviced without cleaning this screen. I know mine had not been cleaned in a long time, perhaps forever.

17. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Mozella, nicely stated! I dropped the ball on my explanation regarding the filters (screens). Thorough, and to the point!

18. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Did anyone successfully cut the hole in the correct location without removing the under tray?
    Thanks
    Alan

19. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    You have to remove the tray to measure where the hole should go and the tray must be removed to get the filter through the hole you cut because you will be under the car working the filter loose and then passing it throughout the cut hole and out.

20. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    #46 English Rebel, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
    Yes I read that but someone asked the same question and it was never answered. I wanted to do it so next time my indie mechanic did a gearbox service he wouldn't have to remove the bumper. It's just that it will be difficult removing the under tray without a lift and I'm too old to go crawling under the car. At least the hole location would be reasonably accessible from the rear without too much struggle.
    In other words, does anyone who has done this have accurate location measurements?
    Thanks
    Alan

21. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    When I did it, I measured multiple times and still was a little off. I really wouldn't cut the hole without removing the tray and measuring. You only get one try at the hole cutting !!!!

Get. Jack and jack stands. Actually, lifting with a jack from the rear cut outs in the tray, allows you to place ramps upset the rear wheels which will give you enough space to get under there for tray removal. If it doesn't give enough space place jack stands at the jack points behind the front wheels. Good luck and be safe.

22. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I just back my car up on the plastic ramps from walmart.. it is a bit cold this time of year though to crawl under it.. I agree that I would take it off and measure it.

23. Mozella

Mozella Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2013
    Piemonte, Italia
    There are better tools than a hole saw, especially if you want the absolutely smallest hole. Mine is only 35mm in diameter. I robbed the rubber plug from the immobilizer fuel shut off located near the drivers left knee on a LHD car. It fits a 35mm hole, the minimum which will work.

After you remove the under tray, measure to find the target position on the diffuser opposite the center of the screen and make a mark. Then offset that mark half the length of the mounting tab, about 4mm or so as I recall from memory; but take a look for yourself. Drill a hole at that point using a Dremmel tool with a 1/8" diameter cutting bit.

Now push a small rod through the hole and see if you are about 4mm off center from the center of the screen. Mark the 35mm hole using a WD40 spray can top, adjusting the position as necessary so that the hole is about 4mm off center from the center of the screen. It doesn't matter which way you offset the hole because once you have the screen part way out, you can rotate the tab to find the optimum location of the notch you're about to make.

Now VERY carefully tease the screen out without damaging the transmission casting or breaking the mounting ear off of your screen. Once you get it started out you will notice it won't come all the way out because the mounting ear hits the edge of the hole you just cut in the diffuser. By rotating the screen you can determine the best place to file the required small notch to accommodate the mounting ear. That position will be determined by which direction your hole is off center. Naturally, you want that notch as small as possible. Anyway, mark it, push the screen back into the transmission (and protect it with a paper towel to keep out any grit) and then file the notch.

The first time you extract the screen through this hole you will notice that the opposite end of the screen is still partly inside the transmission. If it weren't you wouldn't need thw hole. Therefore, the position of the hole is important. But, you can wiggle the screen one way or the other a little bit, so the exact position of the smallest possible hole can be off by several millimeters (or more) and still work just fine. But that doesn't mean you can just make a wild guess. Measure as best you can and proceed with care.

Of course if you have a big 45 or 50mm rubber chassis plug on hand, go ahead and enjoy a few beers before you start because your job requires far less precision.

24. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    The saw blade I used was either 43 or 44 mm. I listed The source for the grommet in my thread. With the bigger hole, no filing of the ear is necessary.