Gearbox/clutch problem, won't shift into some gears | FerrariChat

Gearbox/clutch problem, won't shift into some gears

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Robbe, Oct 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    Hi All, my newly purchased 550 seems to have more problems than just the fuel pumps (another thread from a week ago, but that looks to go into the right direction)
    When I drove the car home from the garage, with a cold engine, I noticed that shifting was very hard.
    The clutch pedal feels normal, and driving away in first worked without problem, as well as shifting into second. (which is a common issue, but not this time...)
    But third and fourth was very, very hard to shift the lever into. Even after it warmed up.
    As I only drove in 5th gear on the highway after that, with 90 km/h because of a SDL (limp mode which turned out a badly repaired right fuel pump), I did not investigate further.
    Now I am waiting for the last parts to repair the pumps myself, so in the mean time I am looking into the gear shifting problem.
    When I press the clutch pedal, I can move the lever into first, second, and fifth and sixth gear, albeit with more force than feels normal. I can shift the box into second for example, then I can't turn a wheel, and when I shift back to neutral the wheels can be turned. So it does shift.
    But third and fourth gear I can't select at all, it simply will not go in the slot.
    The lever can be moved in neutral from left to right without much force, so I do not think it is the lever system.
    Please take into account, all is with the engine off. And even when I get the engine running again when I finish the fuel pump repairs, I am afraid to drive it before I have solved this problem.

Anybody any idea what might cause it?
    I do not see leaks around the master cylinder (pedal side or engineroom-side) , and the brake/clutch fluid level seems normal. No leaks at the inspection hatch underneath.
    Pumping the clutch does not make any difference.

I have searched a lot , but these exact symptoms I have not found anywhere.
    The car has stood mostly still for 4 years , does gearbox oil survive 4 years of non-use?
    Is there a flushing fluid for these boxes?

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Change gear oil, flush and bleed the clutch, adjust your linkages. Go from there.

3. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    I have an older Ferrari with a hydraulic clutch and a rear transaxle. Two suggestions: First, it's wise to periodicly bleed the clutch; put new fluid in the resevoir and pressurize the resevoir while a helper opens the bleed valve on the slave cylinder. Second, the gear oil doesn't deteriate. However, a person who has a similar car told me that his 1st to 2nd shift was improved by using Lubro Moly 75W-90 synthetic gear oil. I drained my gearbox and refilled it with the Lubro Moly gear oil. There was a noticable improvement, especially before the oil warms up. Synthetic oil can cause gaskets to leak a bit, but it's worth it for better performance of the gear box.

4. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    A third suggestion, there is a turnbuckle with 2 lock nuts on the selector linkage on my car. Small adjustments left or right can make the gear shifts smoother.

5. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    Thanks both for the suggestions and help!
    I just come back from bleeding the clutch (first filled it up to over the max to prevent air entering), and with every pressing of the pedal, around 7 or 8 cm of fluid filled the plastic bleed line I connected. After 5 pumps without bubbles I had my lovely assistant stop.
    So I assume the clutch is now bled , and the system moves fluid, so must give at least some pressure on the clutch slave cylinder/bearing.

But no succes, still I can't select reverse, third or fourth. I have not checked the adjustment possibilities, that will be the next step.

I ordered valvoline 75W90 as I read good comments about that from 2 persons here on the forum, and Redline and Torco and Amsoil are very hard to find over here in The Netherlands. Will change the fluid in a few days when it arrives..

Some things I was wondering about:
    - when the clutch pedal is pressed, I can see through the hatch below that one plate is moved about 1 mm, and another one 5 mm further on the system, also 1 mm. (can't tell why there are 2 plates that move...) So a movement of 2 mm in total. Is that enough in this system? Should I make some pictures ??

- There is no difference in feel or reaction on the gear lever action whether I press the clutch or not.
    Does that point toward the clutch not completely releasing?

6. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    It is not the clutch. That would prevent you from driving the car. I would go to the shift linkage and adjust it. Normally I would have it in 3rd to adjust it but if you can't get 3rd, you can start with 1st. Don't attempt to adjust it in neutral, this can result in the shift rod turning and getting out of the finger slots and causing more issues than you want. As a tech with many years of gearbox work, I would like to be able to feel the resistance and give you a better idea of the issue. If the 3-4 shift rod has an issue, you could feel the shifter trying but not moving the rod. If it is an adjustment issue, again, that feels a little different. I don't believe it is in the syncro or selector ring, that would be an issue with shifting only when it is running.
    Also, gear oil has all but zero effect on shifting if the engine is not running. If you can't shift it with the engine off, it is likely an adjustment issue.

brogenville and Qavion like this.
  7. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    Ok, thanks for explaining.
    I looked into the shift linkage, and from underneath I can only unbolt the bolt that connects the rod to the gearbox actuator itself. But that bolt needs to go into the hole again, so not much to adjust there.
    The rubber block is not there for adjusting, right? And the 2 bolts connecting the rod to the block are on a splined shaft , so only can move front and back and not left and right.
    So I can't see the location where I can adjust left to right, but maybe it is inside the car , connecting to the gear lever? On my 355 there is no exhaust underneath , so the whole linkage can be seen , but I forgot how I adjusted that one 4 years ago...

Other point, I checked the oil level, and it is overfilled by at least one cm over the max on the dipstick. I know that this can cause all sorts of problems in the end, but maybe also difficult shifting with the engine off and the internal shafts and wheels not rotating?

With a little more force (not too much of course), I was able to get third and fourth and reverse again, but all gears feel very sticky and stiff, and third and fourth the most. It does not feel as if adjusting the linkage would help, but I won't ignore the advise of course.

What I still do not understand , is why depressing the clutch does not make any difference on stiff shifting when the engine is off. On all my other cars it does...
    My 355 shifts very nice when depressing the clutch (engine off), but not when I release the clutch pedal...
    Or is a car always hard to shift engine off, no clutch, and I do not feel that difference because it is already very, very stiff?

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The ultimate adjustment is inside the gearbox. That is why Merlintech said to engage the gearbox in a gear (1st or 3rd) before you attempt the connection on the outside. I found that the bushings make a big difference if they are new vs old. There are two of them, one at the bottom of the gearshift housing and one just before the shift rod.

As for shifting the gears with engine off. It can be easier to depress the clutch pedal to shift gears with the engine off. But, once you are able to shift into and out of all gears, you should be able to do that at will without ever touching the clutch pedal again.

9. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Depressing the clutch should be easier shifting. It allows the gears to rotate as the shift ring aligns with the engagement teeth on the gears. Syncros help this when things are spinning (engine running). This is totally normal. Many times after you push the clutch and shift through all the gears, you can then shift with the clutch pedal released and they will go. They have been aligned. Again, normal.

Reviewing the diagram, Yelcab is right, the adjustments are going to be inside. The question now becomes why is it out of adjustment. They don't normally just "go out of adjustment".

10. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    Thanks all for your reactions. I am really glad I can ask questions and get advises, it is not funny at all when you buy a 550 with the promise of the garage to deliver it repaired (fuel pumps, another topic I started..), then you barely make it home with 6cyl instead of 12, and realize there is even more wrong with the car.
    Yes PPI, I know, but as this is my 15th car( Porsches, TVR, Aston, 2 355's) in 20 years without an official PPI, one gets a bit overconfident in its own judgement, and that comes back with a vengeance...
    Ok, back on topic,
    Even though 3 and 4 and reverse are hard to engage, they are there when more force is applied.
    And the lever leaned a bit to the left of the slot when in 5 and 6, and in the middle for 3 and 4 , and to the right when in 1or 2.
    So to be sure, I removed the gear slot, so there is no forced lever "path" by the "fingers" of the slot, but it stays the same: all gears hard to engage, especially 3 and 4. So it looks like adjusting the linkgage cannot be improved,as it already seems well aligned with the slots.

The feel of the box when engaging, however, is positive, if not for the high level of force to apply, to get to that point...

And no difference whether I depress the pedal or not, no easier shifting, I always need much more force than expected to shift.

Apart from the fact that the level in the box is 1 cm to high (above max), the gear oil is clear green.
    Could it be the wrong fluid as Yelcab already suggested with renewing the fluid? According to an old invoice from 5000 miles ago (but 15 years old!), from the official Dutch Ferrari importer Kroymans, it was 75W90SX , no brandname, but I assume AGIP or Shell. But why would this highly experienced dealer overfill...

I ordered Valvoline top of the line 75W90 a few days ago, but delivery is delayed for a week (normal 75W90 I can get now, but I decided to do this right), so I can't refill it now.

Would it be any good if I drain the box already, and see if the feel changes with no fluid at all? Should it go very light right away? Of should I not expect any difference?

11. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    Ok, update, I removed the gear rod connection to the gearbox.
    The gear lever then shifts very, very easy, no obstructions to be felt.
    So it could only be the balljoint connector to the box, or something inside the gearbox.
    After thoroughly greasing that last ball joint to be sure it moves with ease, I reconnected the rod to the box.
    But no succes, all gears are still very stiff, 3 and 4 the most.
    So it is the gearbox itself.
    What in the gearbox can make gear changing very hard? All gears can be selected, it really only is the needed force that is a problem.

The only thing that is left for me to do is draining it and refilling with the oil that will arrive end of next week.
    But if that does not help, is there any other thing to try?

12. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    This is what you should do.

1. Drain it, and remove the oil pan for the gearbox.
    2. Replace the two bushings for the gear shifter, one at the housing and one at the gearbox. This is a big job.
    3. Attach the shift rod back in while the bottom of the engine is still open. While someone is shifting the gear, you are under the car looking at the action to see if there is any obstruction, Fix that.
    4. Realign the shift forks inside the gearbox as needed. You do not want 5th gear selected when shifting into 3rd gear, for example.
    5. Put the bottom of the pan back.
    6. Fill it with good synthetic gear oil to the fill plug level. I prefer Redline MTL, but it's your car.

Now, warm it up, take it for a drive, does shifting get better? If not, you are in for a rebuild.

13. Island Guy

Island Guy Karting

Feb 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Island Guy

14. Island Guy

Island Guy Karting

Feb 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Island Guy
    You're describing a 308 procedure. It does not even remotely apply here or. There is no oil pan to remove on a 550 transaxle. And MTL should never be used on a 550, as it has a traditional ring and pinion.

15. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You are correct. Too many posts in my head. Sorry.

16. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    #16 Robbe, Oct 24, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    No problem at all of course, I am glad you both reacted.
    So is there still need to replace bushings when the system, disconnected at gearbox by removing the lock bolt, moves very easy and light?
    And by bushings, are those the 2 sleeve bushings nr 26, or do you mean nr 8 where the ball rests in? As that bushing is no longer available...
    I hope this diagram does not violate any posting rules...

Attached Files:

17. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    1. Disconnecting the ball joint at the gearbox and observing free movement of the shifter is not a valid test.
    2. Make sure all your nuts and bolts at the two ball joints are tight, not loose.
    3. Typically there is not much of a need for adjusting movements front to back.
    4. There is always a need and a way to adjust side to side movement at the shifter, which translates to rotational CW or CCW movement at the rod as it enters the gearbox (that is all there is at the gearbox)

Number 29 is where you adjust rotational movement. Very little adjustment goes a long way.

There are four shift planes (1-2, 3-4, 5-6, and R) inside the gearbox. You will not be able to shift if the selector is somehow engaging 2 planes. Adjusting the little bit of movement at number 29 allows you to move the selector to that precise position where only one shift plane is selected.

Mark where you are at the beginning with a sharp scribe (a big red marker is not a sharp scribe). Make a small adjustment in one direction, if it gets worse go the other direction until it gets better.

Finally, after adjustment if you are able to select and shift 1-2 and 5-6 but impossible to shift along 3-4, then something is inside the gearbox is bad. Perhaps a detent.

Leave the gate alone, it has nothing to do with your adjustment.

When you drain your gearbox next week, if there are any gear teeth attached to the drain magnet, oh well, that is very bad news but it would explain your situation.

18. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    Thanks. It is clear.
    I removed bolt 36 before, but will have a go at 29 tomorrow, and follow the directions.
    And I will report back if the drain plug picked up metal. I already noticed it was clear greenish, so any metal parts the plug would miss will certainly directly catch the eye.

19. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    #19 Robbe, Oct 28, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    Ok, I tried adjusting with the 29 screw, but after aligning, it stays the same: force needed to shift (engine off), 3 and 4 the heaviest.
    After leaving the lever in say 3, a day later much force is needed to get to neutral. After that (still engine off, it has not run for 3 weeks now) still much force is needed, but it gets a tiny bit better. But the next day all is back to being stuck etc.

The new oil still has not arrived, delivery has been postponed for some extra days as it turns out to be a rare oil, this Valvoline 75W90 total Drive...(but not as rare as the Redline over here...)

In the mean time I have spent some time (actually, a lot) in searching for gearbox problems that sound familiar.

@ Yelcab, many brands of gearboxes suffer from problems with the detents, for example on a M3 BMW ZF box I read that the fifth gear is notorious.
    (I have a Z3M , but my 5th gear does not have the problem so not always...)

My 550 has been in a collection for 4 years, driving only 10 miles in that period. So maybe the 3/4 detent is indeed sticking as it has been above oil level (correct?) for a long time, in that case applying constant force on the control rod (nr 39 below) making shifting heavy.

When I look at the diagram of the gearbox, it looks like the detent is not lined, but simply machined into the big main house, to insert the spring and ball.(nr 35 / 36)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I searched the whole internet for pictures of the inside of a 550 box (or very similar), but I can't find any.
    So I just have the info above.
    Would it be correct to assume that the cover nr2 can be removed (after removing the exhaust pipe that sits next to it), to then gain access to the detent?
    As far as I can see, the detents will come out on itself when the cover nr 2 is removed. (not unlike the 308 box)
    Has anybody done this before on a 550 or 456? Or know of pictures that show the inside behind cover 2?
    I am always anxious to remove a part that is springloaded...

As heavy shifting action on a running box can be caused by bad synchros, I do not believe this is the case as all is aligned when I shift it into 3 or 4 from neutral, and it stays stiff. (the synchro's do not have to spin because the shaft does not spin engine off, in a situation where I shift from neutral to 3, repeatedly)
    So that leaves a detent problem (hopefully), or a bent shifting rod, or partially seized bushings nr 46 (or is that too rare to ever be a problem in reality?)
    Thanks for your knowledge and opinions!

20. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    A few thoughts came to mind.

@fatbillybob may have some thoughts on this. Let's see if he jumps in.

You should post a few pictures of the gearbox from below and the side. There should be more than one inspection ports (for this exact issue). Removing the inspection port (likely drains you oil) will allow you to look at the movement of the shift fork and rod to see what is causing the problem.

The cover number 2 is the shift selector housing with the shift rod going right through it. Removing it would also remove all the selectors making the box un-shiftable thus rendering your problem hard to observe. It might gain you some insight if the problem is in that assembly but it removes a few things as well.

There is one detent ball/spring at that cover but there should be more than one someplace else. I cannot tell which one is affecting your 3/4 shifting. That diagram shows at least 2 detents.

One more thing, if you have lost a few teeth off the dog-teeth (aka syncro hub), it would allow the syncro ring to expand making it difficult to shift into gears. Let's hope that is not the case.

Lastly, the shift lever with its fulcrum point allows you to exert tremendous shifting force on the rod. Trying to shift the gears with the rod at the box normally takes a lot more manual force to pull or push on the rods.

Robbe likes this.
  21. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    It does look like that detent at the shift selector housing is the one for 3/4 shift rod.

22. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    On the Eurospares site all the numbers are explained, so that helped me a lot in identifying :)
    Nr 39 is the 3/4 rod, and the detent that is pictured is indeed for that rod.
    The 5/6 detent is not pictured, but the hole is visible just below the 3/4 detent.
    The 1/2 detent is nr 35/36, on the other side of the box somewhere and reverse is not pictured either.

When the dog-teeth were partially broken off, that would normally affect just one gear, right? The situation is the same for both 3/4 , and reverse.

I have made a picture of the box in place, but the exhaust and the support is blocking the view.
    BUT: Monday I bought a 550 gear box as a spare, in case my box is really not good. It was delivered today, from our neighbour country Germany. Really fast!
    It was a risk as I can't check the condition of the spare box (said to be good, from a 14000 mile 1998 car), but at around 3500 usd I thought it was well worth the risk. Even if it is not totally good, split-up in parts it is worth that amount I guess.
    So I can always open up the spare box, but in case I disturb matters by opening, I prefer to open the original one.
    (but first flushing, and new synthetic oil.)

So I was able to take a better look, and the only way in, is the shift selector housing...the other detents are hopefully accessible from the outside...but no signs of where...

The original gearbox in the car:
    the spare box, same side as above, just a little more from the side/top

the other side, no inspection cover nor blocked caps for the detents...

23. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Do the fluid first.

24. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Late to the game. Wow! What a mess. I hate to hear new owners get screwed by a seller. The seller not disclosing defects should be tarred and feathered. Good job on box #2. You never know you might be selling that box to one of us. I have never had to mess with the 550 box so don't know much about it. I have only worked 308, 348 and 355 boxes.

When a motor not running the clutch and fluid do not matter. Even sitting 4 year and not moving I can't understand how anything would seize up inside the box if immersed in oil. Maybe some gears or parts are not in oil and have actually rusted and fouled while other gears are just fine soaked in oil? Maybe you don't have an alignment problem but a fouling problem inside? I'm not sure what an oil test could yield. Perhaps an oil test can tell you if the oil is bad has rust in it or maybe other junk. That could give you a clue to what conditions the metal are in? I would contact blackstone labs in the US or similar in your country to see if their tests could tell you anything valuable. Then I would assume a linkage issue. You already made sure the shifter works disconnected at the box. I have seen coins in the gated shifter get bend by the shifter smashing against the inside of the shift box. The 550 shift box is big and you would need a 50 cent piece in there to stop a shift while a penny could foul a 348 shift. When there are shift issues I always look there 1st.

OK so back to alignment.... disconnect shift linkage at the box I guess that's #29 area as above

manually tweek the shifter at the box to engage 2nd gear. This might be best done by putting car in 2nd before removing the 29 linkage and then when you remove the 29 linkage wiggle the shifter at the box to make sure the are neatly in 2nd gear.

now put shifter inside car in 2nd where you want it right in the gate have someone hold it. then reconnect 29 to the box. At this point you should be able to engage all gears about as badly as you did before or really nicely if indeed the problem is linkage.

Good shift now means it was linkage

bad shift still means inside the box (this is assuming everything else is right outside the box. We can't see what you are seeing or don't realize. It is impossible to diagnose over the web)

If bad shift but shiftable without destruction I would:

1) drain the box put any fluid in it. It does not matter. I'd use the cheapest even if conventional. I use mobil 1 synthetic because it is available down the street. Some are more forward thinking and order well in advance redline yada yada yada. I would now be assuming fouling of gears/shifters in the box. I would drive the car like freeway putting some miles on to get the gears turning and increasing shifting through gears seeing if indeed the gears are fouled from sitting and the cr@p can be worn off them by driving. Let's say there is an improvement. Then dump that fluid and refill with more cheap fluid and drive the car more and see if over some miles you can restore function. Then finally put your good gear oil in there.

OR 2) On the other hand if you put in the new fluid and drive car and can't improve shift it is time to open up the box and look inside.

Anyway that's how I would attack it.

Robbe likes this.
  25. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    Hi FatBillyBob, very nice of you to take the time to dive into the matter (and thanks to Yelcab, Wmuno, MerlinTech, Island Guy as well, really nice to see that help is available!)
    I will try the steps as you described them, even though I fear that the problem indeed is inside the box. But as the nr 29 connection is not hard to reach, it is a 10 minutes job to be sure about it. Will do it this weekend hopefully, as I am in the middle of another job: cleaning the injectors (I repaired the "repaired" fuel pumps, other topic, but want to know the condition of the injectors).

If the brand of 75W90 does not matter, I will use the cheapest synth I can find to see if it helps. In The Netherlands that would be a brand like Kroon or something like that. Maybe they used a full LSD oil, which I understood is not the right one for this box regardless of its LSD.
    And I will carefully inspect the old oil for particles. I have several transparent buckets, so excessive wear will show itself in swirls of metallic.

I will keep you all updated!

Milkshaker0007 likes this.