458 - Gated Manual Ferrari 458, looks like EAG are really doing it! | FerrariChat

458 Gated Manual Ferrari 458, looks like EAG are really doing it!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Tarek307, Jun 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Anyone seen this? This is incredible.

(To those that love to criticize & down play this companies innovative achievements please save it for another thread...sure the double clutch is faster & blah blah blah)

For us guys who love manuals and don't care how much technically better the paddle shifters are, this rite here is magic. Congrats to the guys at EAG and good luck with the project..

PhilB, Justicepool, HotShoe and 6 others like this.
  2. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    wow can't wait to see this

3. v35

v35 Karting

May 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    It's so beautiful I want to cry.

Doc_K likes this.
  4. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I can see so many mistakes in this car. The huge brake pedal for starters...

5. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I could understand the appeal of an old fashioned gated manual - but to me the best feature of the 458 is its DCT. For a manual shift I'd rather go to an original 355.

6. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    great, they managed to make the car slower and with a lot more potential mechanical problems. Amazing!

VAF84, jerrym, Mikael-F360 and 11 others like this.
  7. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Why? Just why.

sfcorse and 14RE458 like this.
  8. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Frankenstein

9. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I’m not sure why ppl wouldn’t like it. I feel like driving manual takes a skilled driver and if ur car gets stolen u have a much better shot that the guy can’t go around the block with it;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Perhaps in the US, but every driver can driver a manual in the rest of the world. ;)

ScottS, sfcorse, Lesia44 and 9 others like this.
  11. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Gives me a woody just looking at the video. Too bad I have a bum left knee. :D

12. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    We all love gated manuals, but that is why there are so many older Ferraris on the market, that you can choose from. However, I think the 458 is perfect exactly as it came from the factory. This is just not for this car.

13. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Exactly! I’m French and here ppl can’t drive so I’d love a manual one;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    i was thinking about a manual 458 this weekend. I love stick and have older 911s that were stick. my thought is a stick would not fit the 458. why put in old school transmission in a new school car? it just doesn't fit the style and character of the car. and i love sticks. this project seems like a big miss.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  15. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    If one wants a manual in a modern car, get a GT3 Touring.

The DCT was one of the things I liked the most regarding my 458.

sfcorse and LVP488 like this.
  16. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I think the conversions are cool and all, but their asking prices are laughable at best all because, "1 of 1 manual!". Wouldn't be surprised to see this car up for sale at $300,000 like the Scud....

17. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Ugh. Horrible mistake in so many ways. Bye-bye resale value.

18. Anindith Reddy

Apr 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Anindith Reddy
    Very cool, Id love one.

19. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Can't wait to see this car driven. The knuckleheads on this website that said "can't be done", "I KNOW electronics modules and can't be done!"... blah blah blah.

FWIW I'd pay extra to own it...

20. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    its a 458 - what resale value are you referring to? its not a speciale.
    cool project - cant see anyone would hate on this!

21. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    Very cool. Gotta love the engineering exercise, and it would be interesting to test the flexibility of the 458 engine with the control of a manual. Kudos to these guys for giving it a shot. Nothing rod with a little hot rod influence...taking a stock car and turning it into a bit of a Frankenstein has a long and noble history among true car guys. From the '32 Ford to the later air-cooled Porsches, hot rodding opens up whole new avenues of creativity.

22. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    The part where we get to read when they sell a 458 they bought new how.. "the dealer only offered me $150 when I paid $280 just 5 years ago!"
    Cause' the 488 and Tributo are just better in every way and there is no reason to have a 458 when those better cars in every way are on the market. Wait.. "exhaust note!" is why it's better. I've said many times they should have a $50k option above sticker to configure the car with 3-Pedals. I predict cars with that option would depreciate much less than the Flappy paddle cars.

23. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    I dunno. While this is a cool exercise, I think that the car will be compromised....this come from a stick shift guy.
    The 458 was never designed for a manual like the 430/360 predecessors. A lot of engineering and testing goes into a production car...especially a Ferrari where the demands are high.
    I wonder how reliable this car will be in the end....and who's going to service it? I doubt many shops will want to touch it....and forget about any Ferrari dealership.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Doc_K likes this.
  24. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Anyone who has ever turned a wrench should appreciate this.

ScottS and Doc_K like this.
  25. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    #25 INTMD8, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    I know you can't be talking about the exchange we had on this topic as I've already corrected you on that statement.

As a reminder, I explained that it would be a very expensive, massive undertaking to complete this with oem functionality.

(this in contrast to your thought that an F355 trans would be bolted right in along with a cali clutch pedal and ecu re-flash and you're done and out the door at 40-50k)

That being said, stop posting the above quote as if it was something said to you when in fact, you made it up.