Gas Tax Venting time | FerrariChat

Gas Tax Venting time

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by ClydeM, Nov 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Perhaps we in NJ have had it good for too long. Oh wait, we have one of the highest tax rates in the nation.

But when gas is selling at $1.95/gal (local Exxon regular) prior to the gas tax increase and the Gas tax increase is 23 cents/gal..... 1.95 + .23 = $2.18, *not* the $2.29 the station is now charging.

Gas companies see an opportunity & jump on it

So I get "23 cent hike will cover 8-year $16 billion transportation trust fund" because our infrastructure is in deplorable condition from bureaucratic mismanagement.

So I know how I'm going to vote on ballot question #2. Though I'm sure they'll figure out a way to raid the fund anyway.

2. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    We went from the second lowest to the sixth highest!

Joe

3. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    Come to Greenwich where premium is 3.439 a gallon. I'm sure Jersey is still cheaper. We have zone gas pricing in CT such that the four towns in the bottom of CT pay higher gas prices to subsidize gas prices in the rest of the state to avoid people from going to going to MA. An old law from 40+ years ago they can't overturn. However, we have no tolls.

4. tboniello

tboniello Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2012
    Miami, FL/North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Matt, gas is cheaper in NJ, although the argument is that gas in NJ is cheap because our roads carry heavy tolls. If they're going to hike our gas tax, they should lower/abolish tolls on the NJ Turnpike and GS Parkway.

We'll see if they actually fix the infrastructure or if politicians pocket the money again.

5. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I worked for the State - this is another empty promise, a la tolls or Atlantic City. The State is full of crooked pols that have no business being elected officials.

Vote "no", and the gas tax will not be implemented. This state is plenty expensive enough that now we have to add a 23 cent per gallon tax???

I'd love to see what others are paying for property taxes - I pay $18,000 per year (no typo).

6. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I pay $4k more for a much worse spot!

I heard this discussed on the radio and voting no doesn't mean the tax won't be implemented. But then they are more free to raid the fund. It's already implemented. They will always find a way to raid what ever funds are setup. It's Jersey ...

Pissed :D

Cut elsewhere like welfare which my town is bloated with and FIX the GD roads!

My road is now 20 years old and has never been repaved. Outrageous!

7. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    That's not the ballot question. The tax is implemented. It's done. Now, how's it going to be spent? "YES" says only for transportation. "No" says go ahead, piss it away on whatever you want.

And my other point was the tax was .23 cents. Why did gas jump .33(ish) cents? and why it seems all stations enacted that increase? is their collusion?

8. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I guess it went into effect Tuesday - I work from home, so I'm not always at the pump, but you are right.

Wasn't there additional taxes levied, or as you mentioned, is it some sort of collusion?

What a **** show.

9. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    $22K?? OMFG that's outrageous!! Where are you, up north?

Time to move to Florida!!! :)

10. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    We pay $34,000 at the Shore.

Joe

11. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I'm at the Shore as well, although I take it you are close to the water - I'm a few miles inland.

But $34,000 is insane.

12. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    If they really needed to raise the gas tax to fix the roads and build infrastructure for real. Ya right. Why not get rid of the mandatory waste of time and money full serve that has to cost 10-15 cents per gallon as that is what the surcharge for full serve is in other states. Then the 23 cents would be 13 or 8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You can't pump your own gas, make left turns and now this!

14. tboniello

tboniello Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2012
    Miami, FL/North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tony

I saw a study that estimated full serve costs 6-7 cents per gallon. Still agree though.

As for property taxes, I know of several properties in Ridgewood and north Bergen County that cost double what anyone here has said so far, and those properties aren't even the eight-figure homes.

At least we don't get taxed on our cars as property, as they do in CT.

15. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Maybe his house is 15,000 sf on 6 acres overlooking the Ocean. Is it high now. My guess new construction.

When I was in Title insurance in Westchester county, that was the eyeopener as to very high RE taxes. 18k was low end on a small property. Saw things over 150,000 on expensive but not over 10mil props.

Move to CT they have decent RE tax rates. You do pay a tax on personal property though.

However, back to GAS prices in NJ. No longer will I not fill up in NY before heading to FL when I drive sown.

16. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    $18k is a bargain on Long Island. I'm at $31k and get an increase yearly. For what??? Roads suck and infrastructure is falling apart.

17. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    My home is 4,500 square feet and on the beach.

Joe

18. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Ridge wood taxes are about the same as ours in Rockland County based on my family's experience.

Anyway. I filled up with 93 in NY this morning and NJ is still cheaper for gas... but not as much as it used to be. Filling up in NJ is still preferable for us NYers but no longer a necessity :)

19. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

#19 dwhite, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    I kind of figured that situation. Yep 34k is a big number. :-(

My RE taxes went up over 20% in FL last year - yeah they're still minor compared to NJ, NY. But 20% is crazy.

20. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Time to go into the road work business in NJ.

Family owned outfit down here we know does almost all the line striping in this area. BIg business already but they'll be busy as heck for years now.

I noticed some outsourced company handling traffic redirection , etc. now occasionally. Rather than having off duty police at full salary doing it. That might be a good opportunity.

Maybe just buy a dump truck! :)

21. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    You'll have to compete with George Harms.

Joe

22. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Because you are on the beach, I imagine there's a premium.

FWIW - 3,200 sf, inland 10 miles or so.

23. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    A virtual neighbor to me.

24. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    NJ Division of Taxation - General Tax Rates by County and Municipality

Here is the tax rate by municipality for all of NJ. There's an example at the top showing how to apply that rate to get the property tax. It is per $100 of assessment.

Some of those rates are missing the regional school assessment though I think. i.e. Sea Girt and others.

25. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    It's possible they are missing the school assessment, but given the value of property in places like Colts Neck, Spring Lake, or Sea Girt, the rate is typically lower.

Wall's rate stands out as high, and bunks my statement - reasonably high property value with a high tax rate.

BTW - NJ typically ranks near top for states with highest property tax rate, so no surprise:

https://www.thebalance.com/best-and-worst-states-for-property-taxes-3193328