Garage Queens | FerrariChat

Garage Queens

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Chizz, Feb 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    My F8 arrives in 2 months and I am sitting on pins and needles. I have a very stressful job and I plan to decompress by driving it everyday it doesn’t rain.
    I see people on here all the time that barely drive their cars. And or trade a 4 year old 488 with only 3000k miles. What am I missing here? Are these cars museum pieces or maybe I’m not wealthy enough to own a stable of cars to spread the miles?
    Either way spending this much money on a car I’m going to get some ROI!!!

2. superfluous

superfluous Karting

Oct 4, 2020
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Gabe
  3. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    yes many garage queens on here. many people plan to drive it everyday then don't. good luck to you.

GT2goneF and Boomhauer like this.
  4. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Some people daily drive and I would guess most others don’t. A lot of people don’t want to take it for a quick drive to the grocery store and worry about it getting dinged or something else happening to it. People worry about resale value with a car with lots of mileage. I would venture to guess that the large majority of owners have multiple cars and this is not their primary car. If it’s a weekend car or a stress reliever then 1500-2500 miles a year is probably accurate. Anyway, If your plan is to drive it all the time I would t worry about what others do and just drive the hell out of it. Life’s to short!!

5. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    In my mind I drive the CS every chance I get, all the time, nonstop. In reality, odo shows less than 650 miles added since purchase in 2020. I’m not saving it or afraid of adding smiles, just the reality of many cars and WFH@covid.

FWIW, I find the Lambo (ie Audi) a better journey exotic given the built in reliability vs F.

GT2goneF, Chizz and Boomhauer like this.
  6. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I would say there are three reasons miles remain so low on average:

- Guys want to “preserve value” by keeping the number down. This is absurd but happens often.

- Regionally based on weather can effect it greatly. If you live in the southern states you can probably drive all year, but in the NE you’re severely limited by weather to six months or less.

- A number of guys just end up owning not only more cars, but multiple exotics. If you’ve got a dozen cars sitting in the garage it’s outright difficult to rack up miles when you share driving time amongst them.

Broadoaker, rttj777, GT2goneF and 2 others like this.
  7. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    I agree and either way I both LOVE AND RESPECT those on here that keep their cars as garage queens. This thought process allows them to appreciate the car in their own way (which I respect), while then allowing someone like me to purchase it in 5-10 years at a steep discount to original price, and so that I can drive it routinely (which I love). Win/win for everyone!!

8. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Not my primary driver. But my primary FUN!!!

GT2goneF and mkraft3003 like this.
  9. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Just pick and choose where you drive it to minimize the stresses you already have with your job. I get no enjoyment driving my car in Miami with third world driving habits.

GT2goneF and Chizz like this.
  10. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    People have different philosophies on life. I also have an intense job and I prepare and decompress for my day by leaving super early, listening to the engine roar, and taking the longer but well-paved, newer roads so I don’t have to worry about the potholes. If the weather is nice, I reach for my speciale and Pista spider keys equally. If it’s bad I always take the RR. I recently got the new continental gt and it’s a lot of fun too. I am looking for a V12 Lusso, so I can continue my fun during snow days. We recently had a horrible snow storm and not hearing that engine roar or the downshifts made me sad. It all comes down to what a ROI means to you.

GT2goneF and Chizz like this.
  11. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Want to reduce stress? 2 words: FULL WRAP :D

JesseRohr, Avia11, GT2goneF and 4 others like this.
  12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    There can be a slew of reasons. Some I get, others not at all.

Now I want to ask you something. Why on earth won't you drive it just because it rains? Like I don't really understand the idea of preserving the value of a car that will depreciate no matter what, I don't get the "only in the dry" either. It won't melt.

Chizz likes this.
  13. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Good question about the rain. Not worried about the car melting. Around here you can get a lot of mud. It’s so abrasive. Also people in the south lose their minds when it rains or snows. The driving gets absurd. I’ve been rear ended several times.

14. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    I so agree with you. Driving in Atlanta also carries 3rd world driving risks. People are crazy here

JesseRohr, GT2goneF and Thecadster like this.
  15. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    BINGO!!! That’s exactly what I have decided to do

GT2goneF and BJK like this.
  16. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    For some it has nothing to do with the car melting or depreciating. It’s about getting the engine compartment and wheel wells and underbody fouled with dirt, mud and filthy rain water. If you are OCD and like your car to be pristine, then that’s a sacrifice you make. It gets so tiring reading how people are so concerned about whether or not someone drives their car enough. It’s none of anyone’s business what someone does with their personal property. Put it on the front lawn and set it on fire. Whatever.

17. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Hop
    Good answer I hope you guys are digging out ok! I would love to have all of those options but, for me it is a Nissan to work. I have waited 45 years since I was 8 to get my dream Ferrari. A lot of hard work later I can’t wait. So my ROI is getting home and taking an awesome drive in the ultimate sports car in my mind. Other than my family it makes it all worth it bro.

AD211 and GT2goneF like this.
  18. Live2win

Live2win Karting

Sep 27, 2019
    Pasadena MD
    Full Name:
    David perkins
    To each their own . I’m fortunate to own a 458 Italia and Spider. Drive them to Walmart , Home Depot no limitations.

They are just too much fun not to drive whenever you can . Most fun you can have with your clothes on!

ScottS, GT2goneF, jahdish and 4 others like this.
  19. Bad Boys 1

Bad Boys 1 Karting

Mar 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Michael M
    I have a 2014 458 with 860 miles. Purchased 14 months ago with 540 miles.

Drove it a few times and to be honest I like my Huracan and my Turbo S more.

The Huracan has 6050 miles and Porsche has 11k.

probably going to sell 458 soon.
    Looking to get a Urus , Turbo S exclusive and Evo.

Chizz likes this.
  20. subalou1

subalou1 Karting

Nov 12, 2009
    NY
    I try to drive as often as possible but here in the northeast the weather can be limiting at times. Especially this year!

Chizz likes this.
  21. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Nice stalemates… Curious, what is it you do not like about the 458?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

22. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It’s a car. They’re meant to be driven. Drive it as many miles as you can. You’ll never get the time back.

23. Bad Boys 1

Bad Boys 1 Karting

Mar 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Michael M
    I had an incident with intermittent brake failure.
    Don't trust the car , never had anything similar with other cars I have owned.

It's a beautiful car, loaded with options and I had it completely wrapped and ceramic coated.

24. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Well, I don't know about other places. I come from the tropics so I can drive in the rain and I also lived in NY, CT and NJ for 8 years so I can drive in the snow (I hate it). However, in CA. They crash even with a slight breeze. Drivers here don't need an excuse to crash. They seriously drive like $#!t!. That is my rationale for not using my GT2 too much. I usually drive early on a weekend day and stay away from freeways.

Chizz likes this.
  25. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    The snow melted away and a glorious V8 was heard screaming all the way from my neighborhood to my work. The cars always attract a crowd, sometimes the same folks. No odd ones just passionate ones. It was a day of celebration. Haha. Your ROI sounds awesome. Enjoy in most excellent health. Would love to see your F8 spec. Take care!

Chizz likes this.