FVI booster oil additive | FerrariChat

FVI booster oil additive

Discussion in '612/599' started by BJJ, May 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    Hi All,

After finally having received the invoice for the recent mayor on my 599 (ferrari main dealer) and upon looking it through I notice an item "FVI booster oil additive". Search in this forum with "FVI" gives no matches.

Google leads to some (limited) information, this stuff is intended to raise the oil viscosity, e.g. in old (and worn) engines ....

But what is the sense of such an engine oil additive, if you could just as well use another oil grade with higher viscosities straight away (if higher viscosity is indeed needed)?

Cheers, Bernhard

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bernard- 612 and 599 owners have complained about lifter noise at start-up and the FVI is the snake oil Ferrari adds to prevent the noise caused by slow lifter pump-up.

3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Oh, that's interesting to know. So it's the Italian version of STP! :D

Rifledriver and Hawkeye like this.
  4. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Will such an additive make the oil thicker (so oil stays in the lifter) or thinner (so the oil reach quick to the lifter from the pump? I have this tick tick sound on my 2002 Jag V8 sometimes while starting... Makes me nuts!

5. pkiewiet

pkiewiet Karting

Oct 6, 2010
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Pascal Kiewiet
    I did an oil change last month on my 599 -07 and I used the same additive.
    800 grams go's in a warm engine.
    Sometimes I had some ticking after a fast run, but with the new oil and additive it is really quiet
    I used Shell Helix Ultra Racing 10w60

Pascal

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #6 tazandjan, May 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Looks like it is Petronas Tutela FVI Oil Booster, same folks that make Tutela CS Speed for F1 systems, and it comes in 1 liter and 300 ml sizes. Miller has the liter size for sale at $42.99 (similar to CS Speed), but I could not find a price on the 300 ml size. Here are photos and technical details:

With a cSt of 300, that is about three times more viscous than the 75W-90 oil we use in our transaxles. No wonder you do not need much of it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    #7 BJJ, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 4, 2016
    Hm, I wonder about several things.

First, initial (!) noise from hydraulic lifters is nothing to be concerned about imho. Why change the viscosity of the oil permanently to rectify this initial (!) effect and subsequently run the engine with an "incorrect" oil viscosity? And what about inferior lubrication upon cold start, if the viscosity is raised?

Second, higher viscosity than usual really makes sense as a "simple fix" (temporarily) in case of worn hydraulic lifters/engines only, because this reduces/prevents bleeding down during normal operation and in particular when the engine is warm/hot.

Finally, if for whatever reason Ferrari believes that the viscosity of 10W60 is too low for good engines (= not worn), why do they not simply specify a higher viscosity? It seems silly to sell expensive 10W60 to the customer and additionally sell an expensive additive, to achieve nothing else than obtainable using an other/higher oil viscosity.

Cheers, Bernhard

P.S.: Just looked up the meaning of the phrase "snake oil" :D :D :D

8. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Snakeoil = Kriechöl ???

Daniel

9. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    Snakeoil = magic oil of unknown utility :D

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #10 tazandjan, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 4, 2016
    Bernard- Two types of complaints, one for noise at start-up and one for noise when hot. Not sure what Ferrari is chasing. Brian Crall says the main problem is just crummy hydraulic lifter design. Note the TDF went back to solid lifters. The F355 and 360 have lifter problems, too, but do not remember Ferrari trying to Band-Aid the problem for the V8s. Heavier viscosity would tend to aid keeping oil in the lifter body and also quiet them when hot. Would also tend to make cold starts worse on other parts, as you noted. One of the problems is the newer Ferraris are quieter, so owners can hear more and tend to complain more. The 550 and 575M have the same lifters as the 612, but there is so much general noise from the engine compartment it would be hard to hear minor lifter ticking.

I was brought up on solid lifter Corvettes, and you could hear every tappet ticking away.

11. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Interesting thread but now I will be listening for the lifter ticking every time I drive my car which I was previously unaware. Ignorance is bliss.

Hawkeye likes this.
  12. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    *lol*

Well, this might indeed be a modern "luxury problem". All my classic car engines were and are more noisy (various kinds of ticking and knocking) until they start to come near normal temperatures. So I never would mind a "ticking", except if it continues all too long after the cold start phase.

Cheers, Bernhard

13. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I had my engine in my 930 being rebuild over a period of several months which I was unable to drive it. So I was just driving more contemporary cars with no really noisy start up. When I got the 930 back it took me a few minutes to get used to all the engine start up noise. I new the engine was perfect as it had just been completely redone by a Porsche master mechanic. But it was a wake up call reminding me of my past 911s. As a matter of fact that reminds me to take my 930 for a spin this morning.

JLF likes this.
  14. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Hi

How much of the FVI have to filled in the engine after an oil change ?

Daniel

P.S.
    What does Shell says to Ferrari about filling in a product from Petronas ?

15. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The one thing about this stuff is that it is very sticky, so they say it leaves a very thin film on the crank journals/ bearing surfaces/ cam lobes etc. It has a very high shear stress so it is good protection for a cold start when most engines get the max wear- you get some on your finger and you will be all day getting it off. Been using it in my Toyota s for years and my old ferrari. Just dont exceed the dosage rates and put it in a hot running engine- i am talking about STP so similar idea

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #16 tazandjan, Jul 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Daniel- Ferrari used CS Tutela Speed in several Ferrari models, now a Petronas product. I am guessing Shell did not have an appropriate additive. Late model 599 GTOs changed from Shell products to Pentosin CHF 11S for hydraulic steering, so if there is a really superior product, they will change to that instead of the Shell. The Pentosin has very good properties for hydraulic applications, especially power steering, and has been recommended by some pros for F1 systems if Tutela CS Speed was not available. No sweat now that Ricambi has it again after Petronas picked it up.

Let me see if I have a bulletin on how much FVI to add.

17. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Thanks Taz

I have ordered 1 liter FVI from an official Ferrari dealer.
    But no information from the dealer how much i have to fill in.
    :(

Daniel

18. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The STP version is on % age of the sump fill.

19. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    OK Mike

Do you know how much % ?

Daniel

20. steve moody

steve moody Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Cape Coral, Florida 33914
    Full Name:
    steve moody
    The 599 workshop manual says to add 800 grams of FVI. I just added a whole bottle and need to check to see if I added too much and need to thin the oil back down.

21. steve moody

steve moody Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Cape Coral, Florida 33914
    Full Name:
    steve moody
    Lucky for me, a 1Liter bottle weighs a little over 800 grams

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Steve- Would have thought that would have weighed more than 800 grams, but I guess it is less dense than water at 1000 grams/liter.

23. IcemanWlkp

IcemanWlkp Karting

Oct 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marek Orli
    Does this additive need to be added at the oil changes? My official service used FVI Booster Oil only once, the Shell Ultra Racing 10w60 engine was flooded with the remaining oil changes.

24. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Additive is recommended by Ferrari

Daniel

25. Mor

Mor Karting

Oct 14, 2017
    I’m going with Millers oil 10w60 without any additives. Now the car have 80kkm, made a few trackdays and everything runs perfect

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą FerrariChat