Future collectability of an F355 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Future collectability of an F355

Discussion in '348/355' started by Bella458, Jul 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    Ditto, same here. Once the known issues of headers, valves and stickies are addressed, they are pretty bulletproof....and yes it's an F1.

2. apex97

apex97 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2006
    Stockbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Edward Zabinski
    I get it, we have been inside the CAN bus for Data systems on 430's and 458's for a long time, but most guys don't have those kind of resources and Ferrari's legal dept can be sticky about those who market software to run the systems.

I was aware of the "cloning" process but the car came without the PIN or RED Fob so my plan was always to fix it right, the FOB just happen to take it's last breath before I transferred the title and now I have to wait until it comes back before they can sell me the PIN and parts.

3. ff355b

ff355b Karting

Feb 26, 2010
    Never buy car as an investment, rather go buy yourself gold or diamond.

4. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    A well sorted 355 will never be 25-35k

5. gus355

gus355 Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2011
    B.C. and WA
    For one, I still cannot see how someone has still not cracked the factory immobilizer - I mean there are commercially available bypasses for almost every other car on the planet -

And unless I am missing something, you should still be able to clone your broken remote and get a few working units, sure it's nice to have the real deal, but for me the cost was not worth it - I have my red remote but no code.

Sorry for the off topic guys.

I too think that the 355 will appreciate - not to the level of some cars, but I bet in the next few years (read decade) it'll surpass or at least meet the 360...

6. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Yeah as a parts car in order to fix all of the other low production quantity, first generation F1 modules. I think the FIRST 355 with F1 will be worth something as it was the first Ferrari to my knowledge to have paddle shift capability, something that Ferrari and the F1 team solely puts out now. So it has some provenance to it.

7. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Diamonds value increases with inflation. Thats IT. DeBeers would like people to BELIEVE diamonds are an "investment". The only thing that keeps the bottom fr dropping out of diamond values is the fact that DeBeers owns 99% of the mines and controls the supply. They have enough to flood the market in a day.

Have you seen what gold has done lately?

8. 355 Shwing

355 Shwing Karting

Sep 9, 2009
    Gulf Breeze, Fl
    Full Name:
    Craig Payette
    No,
    Just a 30' tournament fishing boat. Just a regular scheduled service runs in excess of a grand, and that's done at least twice a year. Add to that, the fact that the boat gets less than 1 mpg, making it horrendously expensive to go out on a fishing trip. Trust me, the expenses on the 355 don't even come close to a boat.

9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Really? So you have not had the $2000 radiators blown up, or the hare-brained spider top multi-issues, or the $1000 each melting cats, or the $200 (cheap compared to 348) engine mounts, or the SDL caused by bad $400 thermo couple ECU (three), or the CEL lights, or the rattling bypass valve, or the radiator fans that blow the 30 amp fuses, or ... I am getting tired of typing.

Some issues can be solved with cheap DIY fixes, some are expensive to fix, but they do need attention and can put a 355 out of commission and enjoyment for weeks. I do love the 355 but calling it bullet proof is just not accurate. Of all the Ferraris I own, mile for mile, the 328 requires the least repairs and the 355 requires the most repairs and the most expensive one to fix. Mile for mile.

But I do believe that the 355 GTB will increase in value over time. Not enough to over come all the repair costs but it will increase in value.

10. FDT

FDT Formula Junior

May 18, 2010
    La
    Full Name:
    Ric
    +11111111111111

11. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte

Guess I got a good one. Just turned over 40,000 miles too. Sure, I've had some minor issues here and there but nothing that I couldn't handle myself. I did replace the entire exhaust system that represents about every manufacturer, Fabspeed headers, Hyperflow Cats, Capristo bypass and Tubi muffler but that was by choice but not really any of the other problems. We did things like the motor mounts when we did the engine out as a precaution. I'm certain that some cars may require more care than others. Lord knows, I've had my share of those but this specific 355 has been a pretty darn solid car.

12. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Well then, enjoy that rare specimen that happens to live to the right of the three standard deviations outer edge of the bell shape curve of 355 reliability. But, it does not represent the
    middle.

13. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Guess you folks never owned a 69 big block solid lifter camaro or any other solidlifter beast from the past, The 355 is a dream to maintain compared to it.

All becomes relative from what your used toooooo

:)

14. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    The problem is too many guys who bought 355's as used cars (usually 3rd, 4th or 5th owner of that particular vehicle), then become OUTRAGED when the car requires thousands of dollars and usually tens of thousands of dollars in maintenance and repairs.

I didn't cry when my 560SEC shat out a $7K bill and I didn't cry when my 930 needed $9K worth of fettling and I won't cry when my 355 requires way too much of my hard earned currency to keep at the standard mechanically and cosmetically that I prefer.

Most of the big bills you see here are not fixing broken stuff to get the car to run. (Of course some are but not most) They are new owners who are willing to pay big money to put their cars "right"... and by "right" I mean back to perfection. PLENTY of people drive old sports cars around with rust bubbles, worn motor mounts, cracked seats and stained carpets. IN the Ferrari world many of us appreciate the cars as works of art, and we don't want any smudges on the Mona Lisa.

Will 355s be valuable ion the future. Yes, without ANY doubt. How far ahead do you want to look? 1 years? nope. 20 years? Maybe. 50 years? yes.

I'll be in the ground in 50 years. For now I'm going to drive it and enjoy it and when it's used up I'll move on to the next one.

15. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Not only was it the first ferrari.but it was also the very first street car with the f1.
    As far as modules and computer's in this day and age anything can be fixed.
    When my fuse box went on my TR they wanted $6000.00 i had it repaired better than stock and it still looked org and only cost me $500.00

16. tonrace

tonrace Rookie

Aug 15, 2008
    The Ferrari F355 that is upgraded is that which meets the following requirements:
    1-All original parts. If you enjoy using the car, do it because it is the most important but remove the problematic parts (example headers OEM), save them and put Fabspeed or Tubi or Capristo.
    2-few kilometers.
    3-All reviews on oficial delaers.
    4 - THE MOST IMPORTANT, THAT IS THE MODEL F355 CHALLENGE, only 109 units were produced.

But cars are for enjoyment. To invest you should buy shares of a company be profitable for people.

17. FDT

FDT Formula Junior

May 18, 2010
    La
    Full Name:
    Ric
    Are you sure that this does not represent the middle of the bell curve? What we know is what is reported, primarily through sites such as this one, but how many cars do the reported issues represent? Do the silent majority simply enjoy thier cars?

I do not know the answer, but I also have had no issues with my car that now has 38k on the clock. Sure I recently spent a large chunk having my major done but you know what, there was nothing wrong with the car and if the truth be told it probably would have gone another 38 thousand miles before anything broke but like so many on this forum, I was not willing to take that chance so I forked out the big preventative maintanance dollars.

18. yronZFF

yronZFF Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2009
    FIVE-O
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I had a '72 big block solid lifter Corvette (crate 454 LS7) back in the days and yes, I'd adjust valves every 2 weeks and changed plugs every month, so I know what you mean! But then access was super easy compared to my 355, not to mention no cats, no ECU and no CEL ... and I was a lot younger!

19. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Sweet!! If you did not blow rocker arms, arms and a clutch every 2000 miles you were to easy on that baby LOL ;)
    Did you have to go through the wheelwell to change a couple plugs? Ahh so nice to be young

:)

20. jerenterprises

jerenterprises Karting

Mar 13, 2013
    Phoenix Arizona
    Full Name:
    Joshua Reed
    Buy it because you love the sound the look and the feel. Drive it because you love it, and enjoy for all of the reasons you just said! If your always worried about resale in 20 years and the miles you put on today, you will never enjoy the miles you do put on. Don't look it like an investment.. Enjoy it today, sell it if you choose someday. What it is then it is, but nobody will be able to tell you that you did not have fun while you had it.

21. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Let me quote another illustrious consultant on this board, FBB ... from the other thread on GKC. Note that AC, window motor and suspension lights have little to do with gold pins. As are radiator, engine mounts, and other problems I mentioned.

Quote:

5- Ghost chasing never ends. Today it is the A/C. tomorrow it is the window motor. Next week it is a suspension light

End of quote.

22. RSO1091

RSO1091 Formula 3

Mar 31, 2012
    Idyllwild, CA.
    Full Name:
    Henry S.
    What he said...

23. dbfitz

dbfitz Rookie

Jun 1, 2012
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis F
    Amen to what jerenterprises and Ro1091 posted. For those worried about it, future value has a way of attaching itself to cars that people love and love to drive, which in the end has almost nothing to do with bean counterish calculations about maintenance costs etc. No way could you have justified, in the cost-benefit sense, ownership of an XKE in the mid-70s. Couldn't get it to start, and when it started couldn't keep it running... But good lord does it look great and goldang is it a joy to drive...

24. exoticcollector

exoticcollector Karting
    BANNED

Jun 9, 2013
    wayzata
    Full Name:
    r
    i think the GTB manual will go up in value the convertibles will drop. The lines on the gtb are the best and convertible looses the look. I love looking at mine but it wont be a collector theres just too many of them

25. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Totally disagree.

Look at the relative values of daytonas and 330 coupes vs. spiders just as two examples. As the top goes down the price goes up.

Oh I know, 355s are different and will break the mold...

I don't think so.