Future classic? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Future classic?

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by Igor Ound, Aug 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

?

1. Yes

17.5%
  2. No

82.5%
  1. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Of course. We can’t look back until we are in the future. No one knows how the future will unfold including regulations. Which is why no one can know at introduction or in the early years- what will and will not be defined as important in the future.

2. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Now UK is out of EU only matter of time before the whole thing collapses ..then what happens to all this emissions rubbish ..yep in the bin !

ferrarifanatic25 likes this.
  3. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Bridges and tunnels being built today and on the books are designed for service life between 100 and 150 years and they have no connectivity. Roads in 20 years will look nearly identical to those today. Average life expectancy of a new ICE car next year is about twelve years. Your time horizon is way off. Twenty years is a blink of an eye for infrastructure.

4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    +1.

Think 30+yrs

5. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Connectivity between cars not road and car. Cars in front will decide speed and route of cars behind. The tech is out there already. Bandwideth and data size matters but it will happen. The IOT security will be an important factor too.
    Next wave behind battery tech will be security area. Well who knows...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Automotive connectivity involves more than just DSRC or equivalent wireless V2V. Vehicle to infrastructure required. Roads and bridges will not change in 20 years and ICE cars will still run the roads in the US.

technom3 and dustman like this.
  7. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    I really hope you are right so that I can enjoy car life as is :)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Nailed it. ..while I think the car is going to w awesome and I have one coming...

The battery will hurt it.

It's an in-between. In-between don't do well

Plus your eyes will water when you see what it costs for a 918 or laferrari battery or a p1...

It's stupid.

9. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

360s with a stick 20 years later still sell for far less than msrp.

10. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    All hyper cars are extremely expensive and expensive to repair. It comes with the territory. Race cars are enormously expensive as well. Extreme performance has never been cheap.

The benefits of combining the best of electric with the best of ICE may have longer legs than many think considering the slow pace f advancement outside of Tesla.

And technology always marches forward. Lesser cars are not exactly obsolete- and many are cherished.

The more things change, the more the stay the same.

11. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    With sticks- far less? How much less? It was a regular production car- the most highly produced of all Ferrari’s at the time.

I think you disproved you’re point.

12. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

No. Not all super cars and hyper cars are expensive to maintain.

And certainly not THIS expensive to maintain.

Also the hybrid system is an additional system. So all of the other regular things we are talking about like rebuilding a motor is still there. This is ON TOP OF.

And let me tell you this. Try to by a pair of early ecu's for a diablo... Good luck.

mmyhorses likes this.
  13. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    When you factor in the cost of the repair vs the value of the car- it’s not outrageous.

Yes- more complexity is more expensive- and more performance is more expensive.

Technology costs decrease going from limited production to regular production. SF90’s won’t be as expensive to maintain and repair as hyper cars.

Importantly- 6-7 year old battery issues were caused by cars that just sat. In other words- if driven, these issues would not be occurring.

And the smaller batteries can be replaced relatively inexpensively.

There are a lot of haters spreading a lot of bad info.

14. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Haters? Spreading wrong info?

Dude... I've written the check for one of these batteries.

And let me tell you what multiillion dollar collectible cars do... Sit.

The battery and collectible is not a cohesive bond.

The battery won't get much less expensive as there are too few needed to make economies of scale useful.

The p1 la Ferrari and 918 suck because od their battery.

People complain about a Carrera gt clucth at 25k... Wait until you get your 200k battery bill. Because you didn't drive it. So it cost you 200k sitting there. Which ruins the appreciation scale which is very attractive to collectors. So once you do that... The car is not a desired collectible. The more simple cars will be more desirable.

Inexpensive and trouble free cars are collectible. Look at the value of a Ferrari 308 vs 328 vs 348 the 328 has always been 60k ish or more while the others have fallen because it's a fantastic package overall.

This stuff really really does matter.

I do this every single day.

Patricia2020, imahorse and mmyhorses like this.
  15. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    So are you also proving my point with the comment about the Diablo?

To counter- Ferrari is not Lambo- and today more than ever- this would not happen with a Ferrari.

Ferrari’s have always been on the high side of expensive to repair- nothing new here. Nothing is different. Technology marches forward with or without us.

And it always reverts to the driving pleasure. If the SF90 doesn’t deliver- I will move on.

As an aside- the steering feel has been lacking for quite some time on modern Ferrari’s. Even the great Pista is lacking in this regard.

Finally Ferrari nailed the steering in the F8. I’m hoping it also transfers to the SF90.

Both my 458 and F12 are great cars- and they both lack the great steering feel of much cheaper Porsche’s.

Which leads me to a different question- do I upgrade my 458 to an F8? And yet- The sound keeps me coming back.

16. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Again- you are making my point. The SF90 is not priced like a hyper car. It will get driven like other production Ferrari’s and therefore will not see this issue- except for the garage queens that are not properly maintained.

The proof is in the pudding- the market has spoken about a hybrid Ferrari. They have always been worth more than MSRP. Always. I am still waiting for a well sorted one at MSRP. I don’t think that day is coming.

17. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Nope. You are making mine. Lol. What a funny juxtaposition we are in. Lol.

Sf90 not priced like a hyper car. Yet the battery will likely carry similar cost.

Also i believe hybrid hyper cars have a ceiling and we are pretty much there. Hybrid hyper cars are the in betweens and likely will not appreciate as they are just like f1 transmission Ferraris full of already obsolete tech and when look back through the lens of time is going to seem pretty silly and needlessly complicated and not good at being an ev or an ICE super car.

18. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Laferrari Battery? 153K, not including labor
    https://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/ferrari/la-ferrari-/electrical-ignition/hv-battery-and-wiring-harnesses-53849

don't forget the Inverter, another 19K, not including labor
    https://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/ferrari/la-ferrari-/electrical-ignition/inverter-and-cooling-53815

those have been failing in LaFs as well...

Ferrari does not redesign these parts on the LaF as battery tech advances, so their prices do not change

19. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    with schematic in-hand, replacement parts can revive an older unit with dried out electronics...it is possible, and any replacement part would be of same vintage...

20. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Yup and extremely expensive with zero garuntee on how long the repair will last. It's not fun.

21. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Haven't had that issue other that no guarantee. But, fairly simple and straightforward, have had great success with revitalizing many older electronics...biggest issue is having schematics though can be done without unless there has been a severe component failure.

22. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    “Perhaps a different country with a different currency is different, I have no idea why Maranello Classic Parts in the UK charge what they charge, or other Ferrari concessionaires in Europe, as I mentioned, the numbers I mentioned above are from the proverbial (prancing) horse's mouth and are current as of yesterday per FerrariNorth America, nobody is being tempted to talk of lower numbers, in the USA it is @ $15,000 + $90,000 = $105,000, he nothing to gain from minimizing the numbers, just the opposite, and the Ferrari North America Service center he runs services more LaFerraris than any in the USA so he has significant & current experience with the numbers. Not everyone is given to exaggeration or inaccuracy when it comes to numbers, some folk just tell it like it is. If they charge more in Europe for some reason, God Bless them, but what I mentioned is the way it is here in the USA, I'm simply the messenger conveying what my authorized Ferrari principal told me last night.” FCHAT, Joe Sackey, March 10, 2020

My dealer told me about the same.

Ferrari is not going to price these parts like they do on their limited production hyper cars as it would hinder their sales. There is a major difference with regular production pricing.

I’m still waiting for a sorted used LaFerrari at MSRP. Seems like this is a non issue when it comes to the REAL market. New cars aren’t supposed to go up in value- especially those with issues.

23. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    most La ferraris rarely get driven, imo if they run into a battery issue it'd be best to just leave the car until just before selling to replace the battery

24. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    What Ferrari's haven't aged into a "classic"?

They might sell a bunch of them...but there's also a lot more people that have a lot more money, and assuming that trend continues, even "run of the mill" Ferraris will have a market for them as they age. Like the California, etc.

The SF90 most definitely will be IMO.

25. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    IDK, guess it depends on what you want in a car.
    Yesterday i drove my “heavy” 458 spider for 2hrs thru the canyons. Today I went with the light car, the CS at 550+lbs lighter thru the same drive. I cant imagine the SPF90 at 4,000lbs going thru there and having as much fun. Might be good Harrods and Bev Hills cars though.

Thecadster likes this.