Fun, reliable and under $7k? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Fun, reliable and under $7k?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by 4REphotographer, Nov 5, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Reece

Reece Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2010
    MMMMMMinneapolis
    Full Name:
    Reece Mikkelson
    +A billion!!!

2. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I agree they are a great chassis but if I bought one the first thing I would do is pullout the truck engine and drop an SR20DET into it.

3. asb9987

asb9987 F1 Rookie

Dec 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    A. B.
    E36 M3. Seriously.

4. ztunelover

ztunelover Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2009
    Calgary, AB
    Full Name:
    Krish
    #79 ztunelover, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
    You know thats not really necessary right? Most SRs are aging to the point they need a rebuild. And now that the aftermarket support for the ka has increased the headaches of the old ka-t is practically gone. If its in good shape, you can run 8psi for a very long time, year after year. And at 8psi it will be chucking out decent juice.

Not saying you shouldn't get the sr, I'm just saying there are other options just as cost effective power solutions these days. Now the which you prefer is up to you, SR has that bit of extra rev happiness I love on the track, but the huge torque of the ka suits street use a lot. Since my own 240 will be mostly a street car, I'm sticking with the ka-t.

To OP

For the M3, definitely get a good inspection before jumping, repair bills can add up very fast as my classmate will be more than happy to tell you about. Older 240sx suffer from bad corrosion, so have a good look at the underbody, the later s14 chassis are not as bad, but rear quarter panel and rocker panels could start rusting. Engine wise, take your pick, if you can think of it, very possible that it fits, or you could stick with the 2.4 in it. Good luck

5. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011
    Best car under 7k....

Has to be Acura RSX-R

They are used at the Mid-Ohio Drivers School.

Absolutely indestructible (personally tested).

6. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Decided I'm going to wait a few months before making a decision. I've also been looking at 1st gen Mustangs, my dad has a '66 coupe that I loved and I'd love to get one, a little concerned about the reliability of it though, especially for what I would pay.

7. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Chris, keep an eye on Bring A Trailer!

I've seen some cool cars go for what you are willing to spend to more. The Under $20k section has what you are looking for.

Good luck!

8. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    E30, all day, everyday. Cheap to maintain, and the guys that love them are usually willing to help you out. Miata can be a blast for track days. I am going to go grab another E30 because a *great* one is $4k.

9. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Another great option the E30 but I'm alittle suspect about how "cheap to maintain" it is concerning parts pricing from a dealer compared to a Miata? Reliability should be bullet proof though.

10. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    If you buy from a dealer, you should be anally raped, repeatedly. My E30 experiences have been cheap, and reliable. If you treat a car like crap, you get crap in return, and the cost of a good E30, you have about 3500 left over to stock up on parts if you are that paranoid.

11. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    The point I was trying to make is that there are parts than can only be sourced from the dealer if you want a new part. I agree about the 'treating like crap' part but I feel confident enough to say that most of us here already realize the obvious in that statement.
    I'm in no way beating up on that silky smooth I6 engine and the competant chassis but I feel comfortable in saying a Miata is the better choice of the two and my choice has nothing to do with my ownership of a Miata.

Heck if you are so confident a "relaible daily driver" E30 can be purchased for $4K then a reliable $3.5K Miata can also be purchased, I have seen them sell for alot less. Two birds with one stone if I may. PPI on both and live the good life.

12. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Gas tanks and windshield, that is about it, and even then I am pretty sure you can get those outside a dealer and like everything else, well below dealer pricing. There are literally dozens of dedicated forums telling you about everything and even other owners willing to help you out in either vehicle's case.

Miata is going to be cold in the winter, have no real passenger or cargo space, and likely to be owned by a boy racer that slapped on cheap "JDM" junk. The E30 is more robust, more trunk and cargo space, plus better freeway speeds, not so much tight turns. The Miata would tempt you to go on twisties more often, and you'd be more likely to feel over confident and at risk for cracking it up, and then where are you if it is your only car.

I ove them both but for the Op, being ~20, and looking at it being a primary car, there is no contest.

Go google "clean miata" and then "clean e30" the BMW looks so sexy all these years later.

13. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I did say some parts, right?

True compared to the E30.

A complete misconception from my experience with my local club (I'm 47 and was one of the younger owners, crazy lol) but there are still the adults with the 'boy racer' mentality.

I can see that happening but it is the drivers mentality that matters regardless of what car they are in, right? I'm mean crap who can say some kid in a BMW does not think he is faster than some 'jap car'??

I agree the Miata wins! Obviously his insurance will ultimately decide but I would like him to check with his insurance company for verification and of course the year model should be reflected in the coverage, 4REphotographer????????????

14. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    There you have it, old farts like miatas be just like your dad, get a miata ;)
    LOL, there is no contest because WE are not competing for a car for ourselves, it is all up to the OP.

On a technical track Spec Miata > Spec E30, all day everyday. Then again the E21 and the old 2002tii are a lot of fun too.

15. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Wow dude thats a tad overboard and quite disrespectful imho.

16. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My insurance rates would be ~$60 a month with the Miata, which is cheaper than I'm paying now, I'd have to call them back about an E30. I just really worry about parts cost for the BMW.

17. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    TestShootCom suggested a very sweet chassis so that is a viable option. My concerns are that I know know know you will not be able to purchase a new part from a dealer (as I mentioned) that is less expensive than a Miata part. Some parts are pricey but that extra cost goes towards having a new dealer part instead of chancing an eBay part that is advertised as new. This inturn leaves you with reciepts which is important.

I pay $83/month with service charge included for full coverage PLUS uninsured motorist coverage and I live in Houston (Harris County) which is a very very pricey insurance market and I have a clean record. Drive both but common sense is to get the newest model you can for your budget and once again the Miata wins hands down.

18. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I've started thinking that I don't really want to put any money into anything right now and my best bet would be to run the camry until it dies without putting anything into it. I'll graduate in 18 months and I think after I have a job and can get a handle on my finances I'd be in a better situation to buy something fun.

In a perfect world, I'd get a job with an automotive company, get a really cheap lease and start putting away for a F355........in a perfect world.

19. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    It has been said that the key to prosperity is to buy the most expensive house you can afford (emphasis on "afford"), and drive the cheapest car you can stand.

However, if you are going to wait for your car to die, I think you're setting yourself up to be stuck with the Camry forever. I've been trying to run my Landcruiser into the ground for 3 years now, without success.

20. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    The main thing is that you do what you feel is right for and you have plenty of time, go with your gut.

21. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Don't wait too long or you will regret not having a sports (or 'fun') car while you are still young.

22. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thought I'd come back and update this thread. I was looking at Miatas and then kind of just fell off of the whole idea, I think because I never really wanted a Miata, I liked the idea of it, but it wasn't what I really wanted.

In about two weeks the Camry is going out of my driveway for the last time and will be replaced with a 2006 Honda S2000. It's what I've always wanted, but the last time I checked the insurance was ridiculous, called last week and it's about $39 a month more, which I'm ok with going from a Camry to a s2k. I really can't wait to get it, I know I'm going to absolutely love it.

23. BigP1202

BigP1202 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2007
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter
    What was the final price??

24. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Honda 2000??? Ugh... seriously???

25. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    1973 - 1974 BMW 2002 or 2002tii if you can afford it.

Simple, extremely classic, immense fun, practical, inexpensive to own and run if you have a good one.

Although perhaps not a factor, it shows unrivalled good taste and breeding. :)

Good luck