Fun, reliable and under $7k? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Fun, reliable and under $7k?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by 4REphotographer, Nov 5, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thats whats pushing me toward the Miata. I'd love to have a 944 or an M3 or an Alfa, but one thing goes wrong and I could be out quite a bit of $$$.

Hopefully (fingers crossed) when I graduate in 18 months I can get a good job and get something better.

2. chp

chp Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2005
    Is there any need to replace the Camry right now?

3. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    No real need, but I've been driving it for 5 years and if I can get a fun car I would much rather have that.

4. chp

chp Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2005
    O.k.

A sports teammate of mine had a BMW 535i e34 in the 90s. I was still far from having a drivers license, but we attended a lot of championships and therefore we did a lot of miles with this car on country roads. It had a 3,5 l R6, 211 HP and probably an M Package. It was a lot of fun!

I think something like this would suit you very well despite its age, but it may be pretty difficult to find a decent one.

5. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My worry with a BMW is what it's going to cost me when/if something goes wrong. Even if you buy a $60k car for $10k, you'll be paying maintenance on a $60k car.

That's not to say its completely out, just lower on the list.

6. chp

chp Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2005
    I have no idea how much such a car would be in the US. If it`s 10 k$, then it`s too much, but if it was only 3 k$, then you`d have another 4 k$ left to maintain the car.

I had a 260E W124 for a long time. 160 HP, R6 and a limited slip differential called ASD (automatisches Sperrdifferential). Softer than the 5-series of that time, but fun as well. Oil, brakes and minor things over almost 100K miles. Well, the diff. leaked. one time.

But you`re right, these cars are almost 20 years now. The early Miatas as well. So, there may be some issues.

The other option is to stay with your present car and save a little more until you can afford a newer car. I`d probably do that. That`s why I asked.

7. Ettie

Ettie Karting

Aug 16, 2011
    #57 Ettie, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
    I've been daily-ing a 2000 miata for...man, 9 years now. I love it. Will never sell it. I see people on the internet run them down, but I've never had any kind of disparaging remarks made about my car or myself in reference to it. (I'm 5'4'')

I've owned a lifted jeep and a 280zxt previously, and the miata is the most fun by far.

Here's the go-to checklist.

http://www.miata.net/faq/usedmx5.html

Here's a forum with a ton of pics inhabited by young (and young at heart) miata drivers.

http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Get some seat time before you buy.

8. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    I had my Miata for 10 years. Loved it. Worked on it myself.

I did get hit head on in it by a drunk driver. Lived to tell the tale. Went out and bought another one.

Wear you seatbelt.

9. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    #59 atomicskiracer, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have a miata that's my mountain/track/autox/sometime daily driver, excellent car. Very easy car to work on, i can swap the brakes/rotors in 20 minutes, starts everytime, hard to beat. I bought mine for $2,500, added suspension, wheels/tires, hawk brake pads, roll bar, and I have seats and harnesses for the track. Itsa great first track car, and soon enough you'll have a blast passing much more expensive/higher hp cars on the track. My last track event I passed a guy in a 944, after the session he found me to tell me that he was jealous of my car's horsepower, but was disappointed when he found out his car had 50% more hp than mine.

Suspension wise, I reccomend getting the Koni's, I love mine. I run a moderate spring rate, as I drive in on the street a lot. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Another experienced Miata voter/owner, cool!!!

11. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    shocking i know..For me being a recent college grad and wanting to put the majority of my $ away for travel/house/investments/future, it was hard to beat the price of entry and reliability.

12. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    That is the point I have been trying to get across to '4REphotographer' and I pm'd him some info for his local Miata club so he can get some seat time, kick tires and get feedback from owners like you and I.

13. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That is awesome, probably a long shot, but any chance you're going to VIR next tuesday?

14. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Unfortunately not, I was there this past weekend though. Feel free to contact me directly, I can help point you in the right direction.

15. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Too bad, I'll shoot you a PM once I start actually looking for a car, right now I need to get some more manual time under my belt before I feel comfortable buying one.

16. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    This discussion got me looking at Miatas again.

I had a 99 and loved it. Also Autocrossed a 2003. Loved those cars.

Got a Boxster S to replace them, which is also a BOMBER car. Sold the Porsche 2 years ago right before my daughter was born and am missing having a little convertible.

As to the perception of the Miata (and the Boxster for that matter) those that disparage them either 1)have never spent any time driving one or 2)don't really enjoy driving.

17. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    So that is why I get so many looks driving mine, I cannot wipe the smile off my face!?!?!?

18. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Found out my insurance will actually go down if I get the Miata, a whole lot better than tripling with an s2k.

19. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Told ya so!!!

20. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Any idea how accurate the KBB values are? I've been looking at some of the cars on the miata.net site and they seem way overpriced. 1990 with 64k is asking $8k, KBB says $2.5k for excellent. I'd like to buy from an enthusiast, but not at those prices.

21. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #71 texasmr2, Nov 12, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
    In my experience KBB is very inaccurate as KBB and dealerships only valued my fully loaded '02 4x4 4Runner at a max of $6900 in '09 with barely 120K on the odometer but I paid almost $17K for it in '07 w/99K miles, wtf!!! My Miata is a '99 with only 95K on the clock and I felt it's asking price of $5900 was abit high but after I drove the car I was sold. Remember you get what you pay for and if I were you I would not buy a NA which is the first gen with a 1.6ltr I would look for a NB which is the second generation with the 1.8ltr.

So on that note just find a decent condition NB you like, find one locally so you can see it and drive it, and is in the price range of what you want to spend and have a PPI performed. One of the greatest things about Miata's is their reliability, parts are easy to find and the car is a 'shade tree mechanics' dream.

22. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Can't say anything bad about the Miata, but I'll throw out one car that hasn't been much mentioned. If you're thinking 2 seat convertible, you may also want to look in to the Toyota MR2 Spyder.

23. VF1Skullangel

VF1Skullangel Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2008
    San Marcos, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Camaro SS or WS6 TransAm.

Corvette C4.

24. Jdahlstrom

Jdahlstrom Formula 3

Feb 28, 2005
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Josh Dahlstrom
    Best thing i did when learning how to drive a manual was just go and buy one and drive as much as possible. Older BMWs are not terrible on maintenance if you know where to get parts and do the work yourself. You can get a 24 valved swapped e30 for that price.

25. ztunelover

ztunelover Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2009
    Calgary, AB
    Full Name:
    Krish
    I vote for 240sx. It has my seal of approval. Runs very well, fun to drive, if you want to mod it has great potential. And I'm sure you can grab one for less than 7k.