Fun, reliable and under $7k? | FerrariChat

Fun, reliable and under $7k?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by 4REphotographer, Nov 5, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm dying to get a new car, my current and first and only car is a Camry. It's boring and slow and I didn't pay for it so I can't complain. I have realistically $7k to spend, what would you buy?

Things to keep in mind, it must be reliable, I'd love to get an older BMW or something, but I have a feeling the maintenance would kill me. It also has to be insured pretty cheaply.

Ideas?

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    1st-gen WRX

3. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I thought about those, but they just don't do it for me. I see it and then instantly want the STI, which I can't afford.

4. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
  5. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
  6. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    MKI MR2
    MKII MR2
    Miata

All are as reliable as the day is long, fun to drive and insurance is very inexpensive.

7. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    He said reliable.
    ;)

8. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    zing!

9. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Get a late 90s mustang gt 5 speed. Should be able to find a clean one for that money and repairs/maintenance won't kill ya.

10. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    he might have to grow a mullet.

11. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Miata without question. Fulfills all your needs to 100%.

12. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The Miata is definitely on the short list, I'm thinking of picking up a very cheap one for around $4k and then putting some money into it. I also like the idea of being able to take it to the track.

13. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    '01 BMW 325 xi on ebay in NJ. BIN $7K I think.

4 door

4 wheel drive

Disclaimer, I have no interest, but I drove a 325 for ten years. So I have a bias.

And I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

14. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Original Manx Buggy. $8K will get you a nice one. And it'll never depreciate.

15. sTyleR

sTyleR Formula 3

Jan 18, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    E36 M3

Or from my experience, Porsche 944S2. Lots of fun. A solid example can be found for under $7k if you look hard enough.

16. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My worry with those is repair costs if/when something goes wrong. This my one and only car that I would commute in everyday.

Really thinking of going the Miata route, I can get one for half what the camry is worth.

17. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I was going to offer the 944 as well. It is true that if you need seals, belts and hoses it will cost more than the car. But if you find the car in which this is already done, I would fear not. They are fairly stout.

Fantastic fun, reliability useability w the hatch + back seat and 30 MPG as well.

There's the perfect car on ebay, located in Pa.

PS, IMO it is at least twice the car a Miata is.

18. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Miata all the way. I have raced them for years and they are truly amazing. Not much power but unbelievably reliable and very cheap to maintain.

19. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The Miata is on my short list of future track sluts.

20. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    S2000 - you might have to squeeze a little more than $7K though.

You may laugh, but my Gen II GS400 is a blast, albeit a little buttoned up. I've had mine for almost 6 years - you can get a used one for around $6K, 300HP, Toyota quality and underrated in terms of handling.

I love it!

21. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'd love to get a s2k, but it's just not realistic. I could just barely get one for $7k, but worse than that is insurance, USAA quoted $220 a month.

22. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    $220 per month??!! OUCH!

You must be pretty young, I know sports cars are higher, but that's too steep. I definitely agree with your assessment - pass on the S2K!

How about the 4th gen Maxima? Can get with a 5-speed and that 3.0L V6 is hella sweet. I owned a 2000 Maxima - I loved it, had to sell it at a point when I was out of work and still miss the car today.

Live rear axle isn't the best, but still a pretty sporty car - with low insurance - for a cheap price.

23. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes, currently 20, 19 when I got the quote, but I doubt it's changed enough to make it viable.

I'm really leaning toward the Miata right now, everything else doesn't seem nice enough or too expensive to maintain. A good friend of mine bought one new in 1990 and I'm going to go drive his to see what I think.

24. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #24 texasmr2, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
    What I already knew and now realize (once again) that everytime you drive a Miata it can feel like taking it to the track and you do not have to break any laws to get that feeling!!

Regarding insurance I think that an older model such as my '99 NB chassis will help and one must take into consideration the county they live in aswell. Last year I was only paying $53/month for basic full coverage but that also included my law enforcement discount (about $20 per month). Yet now that I'm back in the big city I pay $82.50/month for full coverage but here is the catch, I now have uninsured motorist coverage and once I'm commisioned again I will get atleast a $20/month discount.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is keep your driving record clean (ie don't drive like an idiot) and you will reap the benefit's.

25. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Luckily I have a clean record (knocks on wood) and right now I'm paying $70 a month for the Camry. I can't imagine the Miata would be that much more.