"Full Service Kit"?! | FerrariChat

"Full Service Kit"?!

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by vespasian, Jan 17, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vespasian

vespasian Karting

Nov 28, 2011
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Hello Drivers & Lovers of the wonderful 365GT4/400/412,

does anybody know about the quality of this not too expensive "full service kit" including air filters, oil filters and much more for the 365GT4 2+2 / 400GT?

http://www.superformance.co.uk/a-v12/carb.htm

I'm about to buy two sets to ensure servicing of my recently bought (but not yet physically taken in ownership) 400GTA from 1979.

Best regards, Alex

2. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I guess it all depends on what brands are used for each of those components in the kits and whether the kit price saves you money over the aggregate of the parts priced individually.

Having said that, without knowing what the current air filter price is, the bundled price of GBP 142 might be okay, depending on what brands are supplied. Baldwin oil filters are less than $20 each, NGK plugs are, what, $4 each ($48 total), fuel filters are ???? and don't know about the sump plug and washer. Why would you need a new sump plug? Washer, yes, plug, why?

Since all of that stuff is useful to have, it just boils down to price.

3. Flinch

Flinch Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2009
    Holland and Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter El Cheapo
    Full service kit? But it is lacking a chain, shims, breaker point, chain tensioner, cam cover gaskets :D

The kit is okay, just like the quality. I have bought many parts there and prices are fair. The air filters for the Weber versions make the kit kind of expensive compared to the 400i kit.

4. vespasian

vespasian Karting

Nov 28, 2011
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #4 vespasian, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, this "Full service kit" might indeed be a good but lazy start. ;-)

I just continue to write in this thread (or should I open a new one for my further questions?)

Attached you find a picture of the engine (which runs quite smoothly, about 93.000 km = around 57.000 miles) - it's a bit rugged, a little bit shabby, so the first action after changing oil will be a dry ice blasting which should do a nice cleaning without tampering with electrics etc.

What would you suggest as next steps after having changed all liquids?
    Just optical work such as changing hoses, nickel plating of bare metals like screws or rods, painting the cam heads etc. - or would you do "deeper work" (but there are no audible signs of problems, compression test showed 11 cylinders around 10-11 bar, 1 cylinder at 9 bar, next week I'll inspect the piston heads with an endoscope).

...I just love engines which look "crisp & sparkling".
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #5 blkprlz, Jan 19, 2012
    On Superformance's site, it shows the individual parts (orig. part #'s) for the 400i 'standard' service kit (or should we say abbreviated?) totaling around $74 euro & the kit @ $62 euro.

Are those Wix oil filters installed on yours??
    It must of taken me a good 100+ hrs. to get the 'typical' look of these engines to what it is now, & @ this point it only requires 1 wkend. / yr. to maintain @ this level.

6. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Nice and tidy looking engine compartment! Just curious though as to why you have the ribbed flexible hose running from the oil filler breather over to the separation canister? Is that covering the rigid, black crackle finished pipe that normally connects the two or have you replaced it entirely?

7. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #7 blkprlz, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
    Actually it's wire loom used to cover the scratched rigid pipe & other dull cloth hosing. At some point, I'll repaint w/wrinkle.

Edit: Oh, & replace all of the cloth hosing...not leaking, just dull looking.

8. vespasian

vespasian Karting

Nov 28, 2011
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Alex
    The air filters for the carb version are way more expensive than those for the 400i. A guy here in Germany sells them via ebay for € 125 / piece ... $ 162 !! So, superperformance' offer ($ 93) seems cheap enough.
    But they sell them as "uprated" - does this mean "better than original" or "refurbished"? Sorry, my english is restricted at this point...

I get the car delivered this evening, then I'll have a look at them.

Pristine! Perfect work indeed.
    Did you repaint the cam heads with wrinkle finish?

9. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Those filters are of an unusual shape, not that Ferrari is the only one that uses that shape...not a whole lot of cars w/those, I imagine. & I'm thinking they mean 'upgraded'...from what I can tell from their picture, they seem to have a foam wrap around the paper element. & if that is the case, you can impregnate the foam w/filter oil to trap the majority of dirt before it gets to the paper element...that should extend the life of the paper element 10 fold as long as you maintain the foam cleaning. & that my friend will save you some $$.

No, they have the tiny chips here & there from valve adjustments / servicing. They'll require repainting, & I'll do that at the next service.

10. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #10 blkprlz, Jan 20, 2012
    Looking at the picture a little closer via magnifying, I don't think it is a regular paper element. It appears that it is a foam wrap around a metal mesh, it's hard to be certain. That would warrant a phone call. I'm thinking that a foam wrap around a paper element would be the better move.

11. vespasian

vespasian Karting

Nov 28, 2011
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Bruce, thank you, good point with metal mash vs. paper filter!

12. vespasian

vespasian Karting

Nov 28, 2011
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #12 vespasian, Jan 23, 2012
    No, a close look revealed: "Mann Filter" (german product), available for € 7,50 = apprx. $ 9,40.

Are the Wix filters harder to get, better or in any way to be preferred?

13. bilodeaulynn

bilodeaulynn Karting

May 1, 2005
    What is the part number on those Mann filters?
    I see 0706 or 0700? Is that the part number?
    Do they have the check valve?

would like to know.

14. vespasian

vespasian Karting

Nov 28, 2011
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Alex
  15. bilodeaulynn

bilodeaulynn Karting

May 1, 2005
    Tried that link. It tells me there are no matches.

Can someone give the part number for those Mann filters?

16. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    On one of the filters you can see the entire UPC code. Can probably google it?

17. bilodeaulynn

bilodeaulynn Karting

May 1, 2005
    Says it is a W940/10

Couldn't find a local supplier. Supposedly fits a 911, but didn't say which years.

What Wix filter or Napa gold filter do you guys use?

18. vespasian

vespasian Karting

Nov 28, 2011
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #18 vespasian, Jan 25, 2012
    Well, the link is perfectly functional as far as I can see, see below for the resulting product description with shopping cart (Europe).
    For the US, I don't know - the below shown "EAN" (=European Article Number) -Code isn't necessarily equal to your UPC.

These Mann filters seem to be quite cheap, you could also spend as much as tenfold. Anybody any ideas about quality differences justifying this huge gap?

19. bilodeaulynn

bilodeaulynn Karting

May 1, 2005
    bypass pressure is rated at 2.5 bar. Doesn't the 400i engine regularly run 4 bar at higher rpm?

Again, what filters are you guys using, and do you have the bypass pressure figures.

Thanks

Lynn

20. bilodeaulynn

bilodeaulynn Karting

May 1, 2005
    Never mind. Found out that the pressure relief spec is for a differential in pressure, not over all pressure. So, filter would have to be pretty clogged for it to get that bad.

21. vespasian

vespasian Karting

Nov 28, 2011
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Friend of mine (services his 308QV all alone since years) just told me not to use the "Mann Filters" because they don't have a "back pressure valve" so they run dry after stopping the engine. Thus, every engine starting is as if you just would have done an oil change concerning the oil filter.
    He clearly advises to use UFI or FIAMM.

22. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Baldwin filters also are widely used and are well regarded, not to mention inexpensive. The Baldwin filter application is B253.

When doing an oil change, I always put a little bit of oil in the filters before installation. You need some rags or paper towels to control the limited spillage (it doesn't come out as quickly as you might think since it needs to go through the filter element) and spin it on quickly!

23. vespasian

vespasian Karting

Nov 28, 2011
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Alex
    +1 & Thank you.

Sadly I can't get Baldwin B253 in Germany / Europe as far as I can see.

24. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    From what I could see, the Wix has a removable inner filter that you can clean/replace...I don't have any experience with it.

Your pic of the Mann filter describes the filter as having a 'anti-return valve', I'm thinking that this means 'anti-drainback valve', & your friend calls it a 'back pressure valve'. Doesn't all of these mean the same thing??

I'm thinking that our filters are of the 'full-flow' type, so it is important for the oil not to drain back down.