Fuel tank balance pipe hose | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Fuel tank balance pipe hose

Discussion in '206/246' started by pshoejberg, Jul 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    Fuel lines are the most important parts to get right....
    if you don`t have top quality lines you can end up like this Dino in Germany a few years ago...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

TonyL likes this.
  2. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    #27 Jamie H, Aug 10, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    Yikes...I haven't checked mine in awhile. That picture has given me the impetus to do so.
    I don't use ethanol infused fuels in any of my cars, however, will upgrade the hoses nonetheless.
    Does anyone have experience with how the original Cavis hose reacts to today's fuels ?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Mathias,

SAE J30 R9 Fuel hose is supposed to be the best quality hose on the market for bio fuels but with the ever increasing use of Ethanol Alcohol the standard may be OK but the constraints of the actual pipe may be a issue. R9 fuel hose has a NBR liner and although it wasnt actually leaking, in the tight confines of the fuel filter / pump its so difficult not to exceed the max bend radius of the pipe, in this instance 60mm.

So although the pipe is rated for biofuels, the mechanical properties must not be exceeded.

NBR / Viton liners are resistant to bio fuels but in this instance the tight bend radius may have caused the inner liner to have become permeable and thus allowed the fuel to come into contact with the outer sheath. As that is rubber then it disolves the rubber compounds which is why it starts to get brittle and break up.

My advice is be careful on the fuel pipe you select, also and just as important, the way its installed.

Best

tony

4. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    My original Cavis hoses dont appear to have been affected by modern fuels and are still OK. I wouldnt use those on the actual fuel ltank / pump / filter lines though.
    Tony

5. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Thanks, I will replace my hoses with a suitable R90 spec while paying attention to the radius.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Jamie
    Be careful and read the specification of the hose before you buy, although the hose may meet the R9 standard, some are only suitable for breather hoses, ie not fuel feed lines.
    Its a minefield !
    tony
    Ps the one mentioned in my first post looks the part and will try it, the main point i guess is to check them regularly