^%#&^ Fuel line! Having an Ernie moment | FerrariChat

^%#&^ Fuel line! Having an Ernie moment

Discussion in '348/355' started by mj_duell, Mar 19, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #1 mj_duell, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After working in the cold for the last few weeks I finally got a nice day to finish the last few things on the 348. I decided now was a good time to change out the fuel filters and finish cleaning the engine bay. When attempting to remove the top AN fitting with a line wrench I notice it will not slide over the fitting...hmmm..works fine on the other side. I look a little closer...*&%&*%*&! Whoever tightened the fitting last time over did it and cracked the fitting! It was only luck that saved me from an engine fire! Now I will have to replace the entire line!. I go and look closer at the other side, sure enough, not cracked, but it looks forced too. Just after I thought a had this licked and only one thing left to go, she foils me again!

Now I have a dilemma, buy the high priced F-box lines or build my own? Any suggestions would help. If you know the thread and fitting sizes to buy to build my own please feel free to share and save me from buying the wrong ones ;).

--Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    It is very easy to do your own. I did the entire fuel system on my race car myself with all steel braided lines and AN fittings. From the picture, I'm guessing your size is AN6. Just bring it with you - making sure you get lines rated for high pressure fuel system.
    Jes

3. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I think that is my plan. I have done tons of oil and water AN lines and fittings, this will be a first for fuel. I am guessing the fittings are a standard thread, I agree AN6 for that end.

Thanks,

Mike

4. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    If you have already made "AN lines" in the past for oil etc it is a no-brainer - just get properly rated lines, and make sure to test for leaks ;) As long as you follow instructions for cutting lines, assembling hose ends, etc. you should be fine. There are good details on correct procedure to making AN lines in the book "Engineer to win" by Carroll Smith.
    Jes

5. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    LOL at "Ernie moment"

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I think we found another popular idiom, Ermie moment. From now on, buying a customer made header for your 348 is called "doing an Ernie." Throwing a tandrum at a radiator is called "thowing an Ernie"

7. John Glen

John Glen Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2009
    Victoria, B.C, Can.
    Full Name:
    John Glen Wesanko
    I have had lines built up at a very reasonable cost before. Find a local shop that deals in hydraulic hose and fittings.A decent shop will also deal in Aeroquip fittings (anodized aluminum end fittings) Just bring in your original hose and they will be able to duplicate it for you.Also a good source for various sizes of good quality ( ie brand name) fuel and coolant hoses sold by the foot.These guys build hoses all day and know all the tricks. Good luck, JGW

8. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Mike - Do you need RH or LH? I think I have a RH in stock and would love to see it go to a new home.

9. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You have a PM!

--Mike

10. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    He called me a few minutes go, lol. We had a chuckle about that. It's good to see him back in spirit of things. These cars can be a behotch, but when they are running right.......Oh My, never trade it for anything else.

--Mike

11. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Lines are metric not AN. You will need to get conversion fittings or find all metric fittings.

12. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yup. That is what I am told. I am having a shop look into it now. We'll see, fingers crossed.

--Mike

13. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    A bloody ham-fisted **** before you ruined your day!!! :D:D

14. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I am guessing at the last major ...... it was at a dealer too! Oh, well, at least I will have shiny new fuel lines at some point. :D

--Mike

15. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Nothing like shiny new fuel lines! :D:D

16. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    +1 :)

17. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hey I just had a thought. The Mondial "T" has the fuel lines that appear to be identical to the 348's. The part numbers are close too. Anyone know if they are interchangeable? They are a bit less in price and if they are the same it would make sourcing them easier.

--Mike

18. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Ernie moment, Ernie meltdown, Throwing an Ernie. All priceless!

And no one will know what this means if they were not part of this community!