Fuel Filter & FISPA Cannister - mismatch? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Fuel Filter & FISPA Cannister - mismatch?

Discussion in '206/246' started by TonyL, Aug 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Nope, they run in parallel on 206/L/M Dinos.

2. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Andrew I realised that, the reason i asked is that its not really necessary to run both pumps at the same time, you are doubling the flow (68gph) when there is no need to, the 476087 delivers more than enough on its own + in that set up you have a tendency to short circuit fuel around weaker pump as the facet pump has no internal check valves. Doubling the flow without increasing the bore size increases the frictional resistance and makes the pump work harder and shorten its life span.

Ironically the Facet and Bendix pumps shared the same part number but without technical spec's my hunch is the Bendix delivered much less flow than the Facet, hence two pumps.

Best

Tony

3. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thanks to Mark for putting us onto the Baldwin filters, I ordered a few that arrived today and they look good from the dimensions.

cheers Andrew

4. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Andrew
    How does the 17mm grommet on the PF866 filter work out, from what i can see you basically have the same issue with the UFI filter, one of the grommets is incorrect, so we have the same problem.
    Best
    Tony

5. MarkT

MarkT Karting

Jun 7, 2004
    mountains-NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Turczyn

Tony---I do not have one in my hand--- but is it possible to press-on a bushing with the correct 1 mm wall thickness if a bushing is required?

6. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Hi Mark,

It is but the wall thickness would be to thin. Difficult to get the PF866 Baldwin filter here, but i have a source and waiting for it to arrive.

My wish list is that the correct UFI grommet will replace the incorrect Baldwin grommet. But ultimately it is just a simple replacement grommet thats needed. Easier said than done though as i cannot find anything off the shelf thats a suitable material i.e Viton or NBR.

Tony

7. MarkT

MarkT Karting

Jun 7, 2004
    mountains-NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Turczyn

Tony- I was thinking of using a permanent metal bushing because I have turned bushings with .040 wall thickness on my lathe with no problems.

On the other hand---the Baldwin filter is made pretty simple compared to the original filter.

The top and bottom seals are simple flat rubber washers glued onto each end of the filter--- in the stamped depressions of the metal caps.

The OD's of the washers are the same so you can either make a rubber washer with the correct OD/ID/thickness, peel off the top washer, and glue on your homemade washer.

Or--You could use the bottom washer from one of the filters you have bought and use a hand punch to make the hole the correct ID.

The reason I have not worried about using this filter is that I use an additional in-line 30-micron filter just before carbs to catch any debris from the hoses.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. MarkT

MarkT Karting

Jun 7, 2004
    mountains-NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Turczyn
    Tony--

This has made me curious about how I fit this filter in my canister about five years ago. I will see if I missed the loose fit of the top seal- or if I did something to fix this and my senior memory has deleted the videotape.

9. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Thanks Mark, i need to take off the filter assembly and see if there is a simpler solution, which i will do when i get the Baldwin filter. I like your suggestions and solutions so far :)
    Tony.

10. MarkT

MarkT Karting

Jun 7, 2004
    mountains-NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Turczyn

Tony- quick question before I crawl under my Dino and remove my filter.

Does top washer on the filter press against the flat milled surface of the top filter casting -thus sealing off any fuel trying to push by it -even if there is a sloppy ID of the washer? I assume the bottom spring would a higher spring pressure than the fuel pump

11. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    yes, I thought the spring at the bottom of the canister would press the top seal against the lid - shouldn't matter too much how well the top seal fitted on the tube.

12. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Yes it does and is a tight fit using the UFI filter, but the problem is the bottom UFI grommet / seal being to sloppy against the retaining bolt shaft, it has to be a tight fit and doesnt rely on the flat face. This is where fuel seeps past the filter element.

What i did initially was to reverse the spring to the top and let the top grommet find it own position as it is a tight fit but use the spring pressure to push the filter against a new spacer and seal i fitted at the bottom. The filter cannot go down any further because the filter hits the cannister at its lowest point,

Tony

13. MarkT

MarkT Karting

Jun 7, 2004
    mountains-NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Turczyn
    I was thinking that perhaps the Baldwin could work with its stock rubber washer if it is pressed tightly against the top casting--the flat rubber would seal against the milled flat of the plate so no need to close up the upper ID.

I was working on another project today so I have not had time to pull my canister apart to see if the washer would indeed seal enough not to worry about fuel getting past it at the 5 psi pump pressure-even with a slightly larger washer ID.