Fuel Consumption | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Fuel Consumption

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by willy_rosenberg, Apr 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. preston400i

preston400i Karting

Dec 26, 2006
    Another possibility is a stuck open thermostat, as cold running sends mileage right down the tubes. If your area has recently mandated ethanol or another additive in your gasoline, you can expect a measurable drop in MPG from that. If none of this pans out, maybe check for binding brakes. Alignment and even the type of tires you use can affect mileage too.

I usually get above average mileage in my cars. I generally drive smooth and not too fast (but if you don't drive your Ferrari enthusiastically, what's the point?) and I like to keep the tire pressure high.

2. willy_rosenberg

Mar 14, 2008
    New York
    Full Name:
    Willy Rosenberg
    Hi all:

So far, I have received very valuable feedback. Thank you all.

However, and in order to not have to spend all the money I will be saving on the fuel for the tune up, I'd like you (ALL) to give me your BEST pick from all the suggestions I received:

- check EVERY spark wire with an ohm meter to make sure it is flowing
    power at the proper level and firing all 12 cylinders ??
    - add Lucas fuel system cleaner into the gas tank ??
    - have the fuel system and top end power flushed ??
    - changing the air, oil and fuel filters ??
    - CO2 meter up each tailpipe and then – if warranted - adjust the mixture to 1-2%
    - Check on the idle and balance the banks using a vacuum gauge
    - Perform a comp check. Get several movements per cylinder when checking.
    - Check on valve guides and for bad oil control rings ??

Thanks.

3. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    The first thing you should always do when trouble shooting an engine is to eliminate the engine mechanics as a source of problem. Then you can look at ignition and fuel/air.

So compression check first.

4. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Fritz
    Okay he does the compression check and it indicates problems, what then? Pull the motor and write a check for $20K?

Willy
    I would go for some easy/cheap ones first:
    -air filter (not oil and fuel)
    -Only check plug wires on the brown/black cylinders, plus one good one for comparison
    - get CO meter: test and adjust
    - pull fuel injectors and bring to a garage that can clean them on a bench cleaner - cost should only be $100 if you pull them.
    IMHO
    Ken

5. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    If compression is low then you know it will never run "right' no matter how much you fiddle with it, and maybe you will save money and time form chasing things that will not fix the issue.
    If you have plugs that are fouling from bad oil control rings then maybe you can play games with hotter plugs or those plug extensions, or maybe knowing you face a 20K rebuild might make you think the fuel milage is not so bad and it runs good enough the way it is. But I would want to know where I stand right away with the engine. Compression check is not hard or costly and tells alot.
    Just my view, take it for what it cost.

6. moserpe

moserpe Karting

Jul 20, 2006
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Moser
    #31 moserpe, Apr 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is the consumption of my 400i Automatic. The last two values are after replacement of injection cables, correct ignition tuning and replacement of filters.

For those who do not happen to speak German: Dark blue is the calculated average consumption after each tank refill (not too accurate because refilling until the pump stops may not always guarantee the same level. Pink is the calculated average since i own the car. Light blue and red are trends, which are not really meaningful because of the low number of refills. After a couple of years the trend curves will be of more interest.
    The highest point eaquals to 9.2 mpg, the lowest to 12.3 mpg.
    There is no real city driving. Most is country roads and motorways, few mountain roads.
    Some people say that the consumption of the manual is 25% less!

Peter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Sounds like my pickup, its an +6,500 pound F250 with a V10 gas motor. Aidan will tell you, he's ridden in it, its the size of a small house.
    It said right on the window sticker under the EPA milesage section..........
    "Fuel economy? You're kidding us right?"