Frozen thunderstorms | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Frozen thunderstorms

Discussion in 'Texas' started by GrigioGuy, Feb 1, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    If you leave your faucets dripping just a bit they will not freeze. Also 99.9% of the time they don't burst, they first freeze and crack then when they thaw they 'burst'. It's a series of events. If your water has stopped coming out of the faucet but isn't pouring out of the pipe/wall, turn the water supply off to the house then once it warms up crack the supply back open slowly and look for leaks.

2. B.Ratcliff

B.Ratcliff Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 23, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    B. Ratcliff
    #102 B.Ratcliff, Feb 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Now here is something that Jennie and I can’t figure out. The pipes and plumbing are different here one way or another. We hardly ever dripped, covered, or did anything else special with our plumbing in Kansas or Boston. For whatever reason the plumbing in Texas just doesn’t hold up to the cold and the covering and dripping does help.

4. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Is it continuous plastic tubing, like PEX? Is it PVC CPVC? Copper. I am pretty sure it can't be galvanized because a lot of the homes in Texas are pretty new. Regardless as long as it's not galvanized you don't need a plumber to fix it. Shark bites are so easy to use anyone can fix their own plumbing. I don't even own a torch anymore after using shark bites.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RiqhtvgrH8[/ame]

5. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Even if it is galvanized you can take the plumbing back to the threaded end of one pipe and thread on a shark bite then do the same on the other end, then simply plug in a piece of PEX between the two. It's as easy as plugging in a lamp.

6. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Got out for a bit today for a Five Guy's burger. It's all about the subtle inputs. Big Yellow didn't have any issues as long as I didn't come to a complete stop. Sadly, I couldn't go full drift mode because of a timid passenger :D

Lots of cars in ditches, smashed in the parking lots, etc. The majority seemed to be import coupes, no pickups.

7. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Was in SW FW for most of the day today.
    Saw 6 or so trucks in ditches, and saw a Chrysler 300 almost lose it.

8. Glen_Lloyd

Glen_Lloyd Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 13, 2003
    Lloydminster AB
    Full Name:
    Glen
    My observation here is the pipes are shallow in the ground so water starts out colder. The pipes are in walls with minimal insulation. In the north the pipes are inside the house.

9. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Power just went off for about 5 minutes.

10. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    My pipes are copper, and my house is a bit unique. The part that freezes is a cantilevered section of the house. The pipes are exposed to the cold air from underneath. We've been here 11 years and never had a problem until last year. This year, by the time I thought about turning the faucet to drip, it was already frozen.

Plumber supposed to be here before noon tomorrow.

11. hotsauce

hotsauce Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2011
    around
    roads got bad this evening... the ice that thawed had now remelted... I was headed down a hill when my 3 ton truck started spinning left... I had hit a patch of solid ice on a bit of a left hand turn. Nothing i can do at this point besides go with the flow. instead of trying to steer out of it (im horizontal at this point and moving sideways about 15 mph down the hill) i just kick the steering wheel the way of the turn, when im about a full 180, i threw it into reverse and was lucky enough to catch some snow for traction, took it slowly down the hill backwards till i got to some flat ground to asses the damage.

was lucky enough that all i did was tag a road work pylon, after i pulled that out from under the car i finished my endeavour only to find out blockbuster had closed.

the people behind me sure got a show..

12. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    While getting up this morning & watching the news, I heard the sound of what I thought was a dumpster slamming into concrete followed by a lot of yelling. Turned out to be a truck making contact with a wall on I-30 west freeway. I live near the access road of the freeway so lately this has become a familiar but disturbing noise.

13. slapshot36227

slapshot36227 Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Zach K
  14. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    #115 jimpo1, Feb 5, 2011
  15. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    #116 Steveny360, Feb 5, 2011
    About 8 bucks for a shark bite. cut the split piece out and snap the new shark bite in, keep 240 bucks in your pocket for Pizza and beer for tomorrows game.

Rob. After looking at the picture of the broken pipe it looks like it's M copper. There are 3 grades of copper, K, L and M. M is the thinest and will split easily.

Did you know that with faucets off and no water running hot pipes will freeze before cold?

BTW, just got back from getting milk....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    You guys ready for round 2? :) haha

How bad do you think it'll be?

17. hotsauce

hotsauce Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2011
    around
    Hoping easy... and i wish they would clean the streets off already!!!

18. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The roads seemed to be bad this morning. But by noon, it was clearing up fast. Hardly any snow down here in Joshua. My shrubs got a slight dusting. How about you guys?

19. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    It wasn't bad over on the west side this morning, most of it cleared up by noon.

20. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Heavy sleet during the morning that screwed up the roads. Work closed today. Should be fine tomorrow. Weatherman missed on the 5-6" of snow prediction.

21. deeprivergarage

deeprivergarage Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 3, 2009
    S of Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I have got to drive to downtown Dallas the next two days for a seminar. I hate to drive the Mondial in salt and slush, so I hope the streets are reasonably dry in the morning.

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    they will be dry, but I wouldn't drive for a few weeks with all the sand. of course Jano likes the front repaint business. :)

23. deeprivergarage

deeprivergarage Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 3, 2009
    S of Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Rob: It is either the Mondial or the M5. Neither one is great rush hour transportation. Is it the F-chat administrator's job to call my wife and tell her to let me drive her minivan to Dallas?

DRG

24. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    What, no Netflix? I figured BB was just about toast.