front axle seal for series I cars | FerrariChat

front axle seal for series I cars

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by It's Ross, May 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    According the parts book there are two different seals, 101219 (vale fino alla vett), or 115969 (vale dalla vett)
    The phrase seem to translate to a before and after which of course is not specified.
    Any help appreciated. my car is 39577

2. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Never mind^^ two seals, inner and outer. So much for Google translate

3. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Hello Ross,

Attached a comparison table between the front suspension parts for 400 (Carb) and 400i. Other than the sealing ring you have mentioned a number of parts are different (in terms of part numbers at least), the first of which the Koni shock absorber itself (part 1), but also the hub (part 13).

Your car with chassis number 39577 falls in the category "before" the chassis number 42705, therefore the category of the 400 (Carb).

Assuming the shock absorber on your car is Koni 82 T-1824 SP 2, I would suggest that part n° 101219 is the sealing ring you are searching.

Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

4. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Thanks,
    No mention of that chassis # in my book.
    My confusion arose when seeing the two numbers and completely missing the OTHER part in the illustration, the dust seal # 110150 which is what I'm after. Looks like no alternative off the shelf and I'll be buying that one in a yellow box.
    Notably, both of the inner grease seals 101219 & 115969 are described by sellers as 48/72/12 and that is how mine is marked. What if any difference is Ferrari meaning?
    Good news is this is a common and inexpensive industrial seal as are the bearings if ever needed.

5. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
  6. Robert guth

Robert guth Rookie

Sep 29, 2018
    Mooresville, NC
    Full Name:
    Rober E. Guth
    Hello Ross or others on this thread - any advice on how to remove the metal ring that covers these inner seals and bearings? I'm working on a 512 BBi which has the same setup, and am trying to avoid damaging the rings. Thank you for any help!

7. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Robert,

These seals are a friction fit to the inner hub. I removed them fairly easily using a flat end punch and lightly tapped the slightly raised ends in various spots (every 90 degrees)... They came off in perhaps 10-20 seconds.

Cheers,

Sam

8. Robert guth

Robert guth Rookie

Sep 29, 2018
    Mooresville, NC
    Full Name:
    Rober E. Guth
    Sam, Thank you very much! That's great help - it sure seemed like the only solution but absent some advice I feared damaging a part that is difficult to replace at best. I really appreciate the quick and on-the-money reply. Bob

9. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Robert,

You are most welcome! Indeed, sometimes the solution is the immediate one... but it is always best to check, as you never know if there is something unknown and needs to be considered.
    Anyway, I am glad I could help!
    Cheers,
    Sam

Ak Jim likes this.