French GP 2019 - Pre-Race news | Page 6 | FerrariChat

French GP 2019 - Pre-Race news

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Jun 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical

subirg likes this.
  2. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I dunno, bet if I joked that Elton had a great personality, I could get Pete Singhof chuckling at the absurdity of the statement! Hehehe

Kiwi Nick likes this.
  3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    And don't forget "le tablier de sapeur", a speciality from the cuisine in Lyon, which is a kind of a french equivalent of the haggis...

Rgds

william likes this.
  4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    To stay still "somewhat" derailed from the thread (well, somewhat; it is a Grand Prix in France, after all...) horsemeat is something that had almost disappeared nowadays in France (almost); whereas fifty years ago, you had butcher shops that were doing only horsemeat ("boucherie chevaline").

Rgds

william likes this.
  5. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #130 nerofer, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    I can't help, as I don't know Los Angeles at all. Never been there, so...
    Besides, and to digress slightly, the definition of a "real french restaurant" is very different from people to people; even here in Paris between friends, it is difficult to agree on what is a "real french restaurant". Everyone has its own perspective about the location, furniture, food served, "balance between quality and price", etc...furthermore, in Paris the question would be "a real french restaurant" or "a real parisian restaurant"; and there are different level of prices; the population of Paris had many hand-workers in the past, some with limited incomes, but they had also their own typical restaurants ("Les bouillons", some are still around) whereas the aristocracy had also its own, typical, restaurants; both would be "typically parisian", but very different. And probably not "a real french restaurant". (There are about 17.000 restaurants in Paris, so...)
    As for myself, I have never, ever, been in the most famous Parisian restaurants (say Lasserre, Maxims, la Tour d'Argent or whatever...) and I don't intend to because these places just "don't do it" for me, I'm not attracted at all (too expensive, attendence not typical, etc...).
    Probably my idea of "a real french restaurant" would be a nice drive with the F-car somewhat in Sud-Ouest, let's say following la vallée du Lot and stop in a place like Cahors (for instance; Villefrance de Rouergue would do also) with nice old buildings; then having "salade périgourdine", then "magret de canard". But I'm a country boy at heart.
    In Paris, well...for instance (I have no interest in the business or place) "Chez Joséphine", rue du Cherche-midi, would qualify as "a real french restaurant" for me.

Rgds

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  6. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Remember going on an exchange visit to Lille, aged about 12...

Sitting around the kitchen table there eating horsemeat and drinking red wine ..talk about culture shock.;)

7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The only persons eating hedgehogs in France were the Gypsies; it is customary to the gypsy culture, but not to the French. I say "were", not "are", because it is forbidden by law since 1976: the fine is "up to 9.000 euros" and six months in prison...

Rgds

william likes this.
  8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I don't think that eating snails is attached to any region in particular, I wouldn't say this is more popular in the South, as they are also very popular in Burgundy (Escargots de Bourgogne...) for instance. But you still can find snails on the menu of many restaurants in Paris nowadays...
    Rgds

9. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    The pikeys will eat anything..... and fight anyone!

Bas likes this.
  10. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    You're right Sid. They still do eat hedgehogs from time to time, even if it is forbidden by law; and they end-up fined for it, and do prison time...

Rgds

daytona355 likes this.
  11. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I have a running problem with them, I have to keep them from breaking into my property every so often, I won’t tell you the extremes I’ve had to go to to make them understand!

Bas likes this.
  12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I can only imagine...that's not pleasant at all.

Rgds

daytona355 likes this.
  13. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #138 william, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    I have been told that most snails consumed in France are now imported from the Czech Republic.
    Is that true ?

If we are to believe the Internet, "Escargots de Bourgogne" is more a recipe than an indication of their origin: they come in fact from Ukraine or Poland.

14. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Very selective about wildlife preservation.

15. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    That is true indeed. France eats between 16.000 and 25.000 tonnes of snails yearly (mostly for Christmas, which represents 2/3 of the annual consumption) with two regions being the essential part of the consumption: Alsace and Franche-Comté (read here: East). 80 to 90% of the snails are imported from Hungary, Poland, Rumania, Czech Republic, Bosnia-herzegovine, Greece, Turkey and North Africa.

Rgds

william likes this.
  16. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Remember that eating ortolans was already forbidden when the President Mitterrand was still eating them...

Rgds

william likes this.
  17. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    This off topic could well outshine the F1 'race':)

subirg, Jack-the-lad, stavura and 2 others like this.
  18. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    even dags

19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Exactly, Bas. Said to be indispensable for not loosing any of the precious smells. Rumor has it that Mitterrand said "No Christmas without Ortolans" for Christmas 1995, and at that time he was very terminally ill, as he died three weeks later. The birds were found by Henri Emmanuelli, the President of the National Assembly, who was from the Landes, where eating ortolans is a tradition. It made a minor scandal at that time.

Rgds

Bas likes this.
  21. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    ...and while I am doing my best to derail the thread towards forbidden culinary matters, our Joe Gonzalez is, as usual, bettering himself for every race, covering each and every aspect of it. Respect, Joe. Thanks for the wonderful coverage, as always.

Rgds

daytona355, fil, kes7u and 6 others like this.
  22. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales