Frank Lloyd Wright | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Frank Lloyd Wright

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by JOEV, Mar 30, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Has anyone noted that FLW did Max Hoffman's NYC show room?

2. Cincy Ken

Cincy Ken Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Cincinnati
    Absolutely! That was a mandatory stop on one of my visits to NYC. It's now Mercedes of Manhattan. When I visited, the receptionist had handouts describing the history of the showroom, for architectural tourists like me.

3. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    He even did a service station.

4. Dodici Cilindri

Dodici Cilindri Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2006
    Great Plains
    Originally I was fascinated by the clean simple lines of the Wright 'Usonian" style homes. To get beyond the myriad of photographs and to understand the design principals the Wright used I would seriously suggest the following magazine article:

"Thirty-two simple and basic design ideas" by Frank Lloyd Wright. Published in "House and Home" magazine, September 1956.

I have been unable to find this on the web. If someone does, please post a link.

5. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I think you may mean House Beautiful. Google House Beautiful Frank Lloyd Wright and you'll find it. Also see Frank Lloyd Wright's House Beautiful by Diane Maddox published by Hearst Books 2000.

6. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I love that house!
    I thought I saw a sketch of that concept once. Just on his styling and the region, I imagine should it exist it would be breathtaking.

7. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Wasn't it Hollyhock that was used in Blade Runner?

8. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    #83 TestShoot, Mar 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am going to go take pix if I can
    No, it is the last photo I have attached here. Well, here is the answer fo Blade Runner
    http://www.ennishouse.org/
    http://www.movie-locations.com/intromovies/bladerun.html
    http://www.tyrell-corporation.pp.se/img/desktop/ADF%20Wallpaper%20Blade%20Runner%20Ennis%20House%20Apartment.png
    http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews34/blade%20runner%20final%20cut/blade%20runner%202-disc%20PDVD_006.jpg

FLW in LA: http://www.laokay.com/FrankLloydWright.htm
    Last photo is the Hollyhock house

FLW homes are the ultimate item to own in my opinion.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    My favorite PC game of all time is Grim Fandango, a role playing game set in an art deco meets Inka world about a calavera that is a travel agent for the dead. It struck me right away after a visit to the Ennis house with the textile block scenery. This is not a good example, but the best I can find for now: http://www.fabricoffolly.co.uk/images/games/grimfandango.gif The thing is one of my next Web site projects is a textile block art direction.

10. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Tom Monaghan thought so too.

11. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

And then his Catholic guilt got the better of him.

12. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    what a great thread.

13. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
  14. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

#89 b-mak, Mar 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    Yes, that is the one. The link in my first post gave a little history and the open hours. The house is located in a part of town called "Heritage Hill" which has a lot of Victorian Homes. Mr. May was really thinking out of the box for this area when he decided to have Wright design a house for him.
    Not to get too far off topic but here is a link to the Heritage Hill Home asoc. It is a nice site with photos of almost all the homes in the area.
    http://www.heritagehillweb.org/

16. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I just found this thread, wow! I love FLW, and always have. I actually purchased the home I live in now because I saw his influences in it. It's stuck into the side of a hill, lots of wood and glass, etc.

I had aspirations of becoming an architect as a teen, then in college I learned that it required high level math. My business degree has served me well though! :)

17. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    100 years old right? Totally amazing.
    Given all the beautiful homes, I am suprised thet FLW did not do more homes in the Pasadena area. There are some wonderful homes here, too bad you only get an aerial view of them every year during the Rose Parade :(

18. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    FLW is Ok. I prefer Howard Roark.

19. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Pardon me while I shrug,
    Atlas

20. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
  21. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

While we're on the Ayn Rand kick, Wright did design a house for Rand, which was never built, obviously.

22. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    A while ago I saw a tv special on Wright's work. The program mentioned that Falling Water was in need of a serious restoration. Does anyone know if that restoration is finished? The program mentioned that, while Wright was a brilliant architect, his use of materials left a lot to be desired, often choosing materials for their aesthetic properties instead of their longevity.

23. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

That's old news. The major restoration was done a few years ago. One of the biggest problems was that the cables used to tension the cantilevered terraces were corroding due to acid rain.

I have a pair of cufflinks that are made of concrete from the original main floor construction encased in lucite or something. No, they're no longer available and I'm not selling mine.

24. jhsalah

jhsalah Formula 3

Apr 10, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Jawad
    I was there recently. Main restoration is over, but generally they are still working on things all the time. Scaffolding was still on the building a couple months ago when I went.

BTW, if you're in the area and have a chance to go, I HIGHLY recommended. Fallingwater is pretty amazing.

25. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    FLW and Enzo Ferrari had similar distain for some of the practical aspects of ownership.