FOW - experiences over last 4 months | Page 6 | FerrariChat

FOW - experiences over last 4 months

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by solowmodel, Dec 8, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. StanT

StanT Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2007
    Vienna, VA
    The FoW we have known and loved since the early, mid-90's was based on a long-standing Ferrari characteristic . . . Passion. Allie and friends brought that to us, mainly because Allie found that lacking when he bought his F40 from ASC. He had this great car, and the Mid-Atlantic Region had been doing pretty well on its own, but he wanted to do more. So he provided great support to our club - hosting events, track prep and on-site support, eventually leading to publishing the monthly newsletter. He even drove in F40 in a rally I did for the club, and later at Summit Point, gave a once in a lifetime a ride to a 13 year old close friend of mine.

The new FoW sells and services automobiles, as their business model prescribes. The Passion and involvement with Ferrari owners outside their spaces has apparently vanished. For those of us that have been avid Ferrari drivers and friends, as I have for almost 2 decades, that is not good enough.

2. ROULEUR

ROULEUR Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Atlanta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Chris C
    I understand that. That is what we are trying to do. I do need some direction with you guys to help move that way with some guidance in areas where we could possibly improve. I just fielded a PM from someone who is unsatisfied. I cannot guarantee results, I can guarantee I will listen, but nothing is guaranteed if people say nothing other than, "I'm upset, you guys stink, I am never coming by again".

There is no one that realizes how much we need the local community more than me. I am trying to move in that direction. Some things we can and will do gladly, others we may have to work on or may not be able to be done at all. Don't think that we want to alienate people, this store cannot survive off of 430/458 allocation. We sell used cars, we sell parts (even to Competizione for example), we sell hats and shirts and the like, we also sell Maserati and Lamborghini. You guys are important to us, we know that. We are trying to grow with you, but we can't do it over night. And you have to admit, it takes certain amount of guts to just into all this fray.

I have an open mind and an open ear. If you want to blast me, send me a PM. I promise I will respond. If you want to aire it here, I guess we can do that too. I am willing to work with people, so is Josh and the staff. I can't promise anything more than that until we talk.

3. ROULEUR

ROULEUR Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Atlanta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Chris C
    Saw that coming! I wish we could all have them, that car is going to be earthshattering.

4. ROULEUR

ROULEUR Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Atlanta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Chris C
    You are right about the recapturing of a client. I know that. Unfortunately, that is where we are now. Is it not ok for me to be a new guy, relatively experienced, and want to come in and try to change perception and rebuild? I think that you would admit, it is worth a try. If it is in vain, tell me, I will still try as I am doing right now. I am taking the time to reach out to everyone. You made one post on the subject, I have to respond to all of them. And it is not a quick, off the cuff response. I know it has to be metered to an extent as I am dealing with hundreds if not thousands of personalities. I want to make sure I don't offend anyone, that I don't mistreat anyone or that I over promise anything.

I know you don't know me and I don't know you. Is there a better reason to give me a chance? I had nothing to do with all of it, yet I am here taking some responsibility and eating a mile of flack for it. I am trying to help and I don't think it is falling on deaf ears. I know that there is some resentment from the loss of some of the old team, I cannot control that. I also have to say that I don't know why it happened nor does anyone else. I have not wanted to find out because I knew those guys. Contrary to something that has been said, one of my most pleasant trips to DC was going over to see Augie, Bob, Ralph, Mary, Franklyn, Amir and Jack. I know that some of them are gone. I did not understand it when it happened but I was also out of the loop when it did and I am not privy to the details of what went down.

As for the lip service, I have already stated previously that I know it sounds like that. What else could it sound like. I am typing this on a web forum. There is no body language, no literal translation, no fluctuation of tone and sincerity is captured through all three. I am doing my best to help bridge a gap that I know FoW wants to work on. I understand your frustration, tell me how we can help work things out with "you" personally. We don't expect anyone to be the voice of the whole board, we want to hear from you. We would love to meet you.

At the end of the day, I know that there is less than 1 degree of separation between any one of you in this region and also the rest of the country. I know that we have some work to do. I do have to say though, with all of the talk of us having to imrove, I have yet to hear about one specific thing that we can do to improve things. I can't raise the dead guys, what can I do to help? Is it a track day? Is it an event at the store? Is it just having an F-1 party at the store, supplying some adult beverages and hanging out? I am game for all of that. It will take time to pull it all off, but that stuff is the fun stuff. That is what it is all about having these cars. I have put on track days at Road Atlanta, Little Talladega and the like. I know that Phillip Jones has done this also when he was at Aston Martin of Tysons. I know that FoW has done them here locally. I was at one with a client at Summit Point. Give us suggestions, give us something to go on, we will try to work with everyone.

I am talking with upper management to see what we can do to start working on events, drives, track days and just a general good attitude around the store. Thank you for the well wish, I appreciate it and I will love to hear your "behind the scenes suggestions" personally. I am ambitious and I am always willing to learn how to deal better with people. I can't change the past, let's work on what we can going forward.

5. ROULEUR

ROULEUR Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Atlanta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Chris C
    I understand what you are saying. It is going to be tough to perpetuate some of the stuff that Allie did. He was a true enthusiast as we are and possibly more so, but he also had a group of cars collected over many years and he was a true gentleman and was a true enthusiast to share his cars that way.

As for the club involvement, are you talking about Ferrari owner's club? Ferrari Club of America? I know that there are many different clubs. Is there a certain one you are referring to? How can we help you? We might be a little more pointed towards the business end of the compass but we still love the cars. You have to have a good balance of both to survive. We are trying to have a synthesis of both, we are trying and willing to work with you.

6. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Here are a couple of suggestions. You could hold an annual rally like Algar does, you could have F1 parties hosted in your showroom on the weekends. You could have a new "Grand opening" in the Spring where all the top management is there to meet everyone. Hell, you could even show up at the weekend cars and coffee and just hang out. I am really impressed with how you have handled everything. HOWEVER, your bosses are going to have to get their hands dirty too. After all, they were the ones that created this mess, not you.

Most importantly, when someone walks into your showroom, EVERYONE, from the top on down, is going to have to get off their ass and greet the customer--even if they are just tire kickers. When I was student, I used to pop by Algar all the time, they were always very pleasant. They probably have no recollection of it, but it is burned in my mind. Now that I am older and own a Ferrari I have a genuine soft spot for these guys, which is reflected both monetarily, but most importantly, in my enthusiastic support of all things Algar. I can't tell you how many fellow Ferrari enthusiasts I know who have shared similar experiences with me.

I think you are on the right track, but this is just the beginning, now everyone is going to need to see a pattern of practice consistent with your statements.

7. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Chris,

Believe me when I tell you that I want FoW to be successful and around for the duration. That said, memories are long (both good and bad). It's never a lost cause to embrace your customers, and I enthusiastically encourage FoW to do it. But, when you treat people poorly, the INSTITUTION suffers for it. I think we're all adult enough to put bad experiences aside, and management needs to understand that we're out here waiting to be embraced. Management also needs to understand, though, that it only gets one chance at a first impression, too. Maybe FoW should solicit grades? Send a report card to be filled in by the existing customer mailing list. Solicit their opinions and suggestions. More importantly, follow up. Don't let people's time, energy and thoughts (which they'll freely and happily share with you) go unanswered or into a black hole. I've shared my suggestions with the right people, and if they're ignored, I'm not going to resurrect them now. Maybe they weren't useful suggestions, but an acknowledgment and gratitude for my time would have been appreciated. Lack of reply is a lack of respect.

The "old" FoW wasn't perfect, either. Friendships counted for a lot, though. And, the "new" FoW is going to have to figure out what makes sense for it. But, being bulls in a china shop may not be the best way to operate, either. When I'm ready to purchase a new Ferrari, I'll be in touch with FoW first. If I'm told I'm not getting an allocation, that's the way it goes. I understand. I've been around the block. But, don't expect loyalty if there's none being returned.

CW

8. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #133 powerpig, Jan 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
    OK, I'll take the olive branch you're offering. I have an appointment with Algar this weekend for my Maserati Spyder. It needs an oil change and it has a transmission engagement problem. Algar and I both think it's either the F1 relay or brake pedal switch as the clutch is new with only 2000 miles on it. Should take around an hour to diagnose and fix. I swear to God this is the last chance! I live around 5 miles from FOW and am flexible with day and time but would like to drop it off soon. I do mystery shopping on the side and have shopped the sales depts of Lamborghini of Wash, Ferrari of Wash and Maserati of Baltimore. All three got very good write ups. I'll do a fair, unbiased report up about my service at FOW. I could care less about the good old boys club, I just want the car fixed in an efficient manner. You can PM me to setup the details. If you accept, I'll cancel my appointment with Algar.

9. ROULEUR

ROULEUR Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Atlanta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Chris C
    PM sent. Looking forward to the communication.

10. ROULEUR

ROULEUR Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Atlanta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Chris C
    Joe, I can't thank you enough for that post! That is EXACTLY what I am looking for!!! Bahrain party at the store. I think it starts at 8 am on Sunday. We are putting it on. Donuts, coffee etc... Will be pretty mellow but be sure to show up with your car (weather permitting of course) and co pilot if you have one. Do you think having a ride and drive to the store would work out or would that be too early on a Sunday?

Also, working on sponsoring the board so that when we post something it works in the guidelines of what Rob has set forth. We have some other stuff planned but I will wait until we have the banner up to post it. I will be working on this on Thursday. Keep the ideas coming.

As for a track day, which would be the preferred one? I know VIR is supposed to be awesome, how about Summit point? Is there anything else that should be considered that is within driving distance?

As for the grand opening, that is something that I actually spoke with Josh about a week ago. It was more pointed towards Lambo, but I think that with the launch of the 458, that would be a good time for a combination of that. What do you guys think? As for the Cars and Coffee, Phillip shows up most weekends. I am thinking of coming this weekend, weather permitting, and bringing a Lambo and Phillip will likely bring a 430 or something of the like to the show.

As for the big boss getting his hands dirty, I am sure that is not a problem. He is working with me behind the scenes on this, he is also reading the thread intently. You have a wide audience at the dealer right now.

In regards to the customer service, I understand completely. I would want to be treated the exact same way. I don't know that the GM will be available to greet every client, I am not going to overpromise and under deliver, but I know that he wanders the showroom between deals and talks to people. He is a good guy, soft spoken dude, likes the same stuff we all do. He has a big investment here and has moved his family all the way from Cali. He is in this for the long run, that is why all this is getting his full support.

Thanks again for this post, I appreciate the feedback Joe!

11. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Chris,
    Nice job stepping up to the plate on the issues. I am curious, what is your position at FOW/LOW?

12. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    I visited FOW yesterday and have to admit I was impressed by how it reminded me of the old days. I talked with Petersen, Glenn, and Amir. Chris and Josh happened to be out that day. My intent was to drop by for a few minutes to schedule a service time next week for my 430, but it evolved into a pleasant 1 hour + stay.

They were kind enough to answer several questions about the service side of the business and Amir and I spent quite a bit of time talking about the latest models (458 and California) and recent car industry trends (stuff like what is happening with Alfa, Maserati, and Lamborghini).

And it was fairly clear that everyone is on board with doing more community based things this year. Even the informal dropping by on Saturday mornings just to hang out and get a cup of coffee.

13. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Joe is right on the money here. I have a very long standing relationship with Algar, and from day one everyone treated me with respect, and made me feel welcome. I am now perhaps more than just a customer, I am in some ways like others here, an unpaid advertising and salesperson. You can not buy that kind of loyalty, it is earned.

14. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    Chris,
    I'm not a FOW customer, nor will I be most likely. Not FOW's fault at all. My Ferrari is old and I work on it myself. I just wanted to speak with 20+ years experience in the auto industry both fixed and sales.

FOW should thank their lucky stars you came along. You're in damage control right now and handling it beautifully without being defensive. I like your neutral I'm here to help attitude. You have already regained at least one chance with a customer (Powerpig) that had flee'd FOW for Algar. I don't need to tell you that you must fix his car in an efficient and cost effective manner...put your best guy on it because all the coffee and donuts in the world won't make up for his shifting issue acting up on his way home.

Good luck. You have a bit of an uphill battle, but I'm betting you're not only up for the challenge, you probably feed off it.

Spang

15. ROULEUR

ROULEUR Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Atlanta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Chris C
    Thanks for this post as well. I am in full agreeance with you, memories don't fade fast, if ever, either way. We are a sum of our actions and those actions speak for us. We are working on making it the place you want to hang out, refer your friends and buy your next car or perhaps service your current one. As for the "grades", that is something that a lot of dealers do now. Maybe we could think about an internal CSI system for our clients? We do have a guest register at the front podium, maybe we could be better about having people sign in with an email and then fire off a client survey? Interesting thought.

I understand about the follow up. It is important for sure. I fall through the cracks in other peoples business from time to time and I know how it makes me feel and I try not to forget that when I conduct myself at the store. I am not perfect, but I do try my best. That is something that all businesses, ours included, can work on. It really is a given but I think that we could do a better job of self policing to make sure that we are on top of it.

I want the store to prosper too. I am a company guy when I go to work for a place and I need for the place to be successful. A rising tide lifts all boats, I know that and that is the reason why I care and why I am pursuing all this the way I am. I do actually care, and it is genuine. You will see that when you meet me.

16. ROULEUR

ROULEUR Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Atlanta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Chris C
    I am a Manager and I run the Lamborghini section at the store. I do also sell Ferrari and Maserati, but primarily the pre owned cars. I have some new car guys too.

17. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Sounds good---I need a Verde Ithica Gallardo--- green stitching, clear bonnet, nero interior!! :D

18. Rob in Potomac

Rob in Potomac Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2006
    Potomac, MD
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I have no idea where most of the Ferraris that ran at Summit Point during FOW's track days have gone. I have mostly reverted to my old group, PCA and run with them at Summit Point and VIR, and I only recall a challenge car or two running with us.

As Redding learned, the main track at Summit Point is most suitable to our cars. Also, I know that FOW occassionally trucked some cars down to VIR for a couple of track days, this track is much better than Summit Point. If you are serious about getting back into these kind of events, these are the tracks I would start with. There are others, but it makes sense to start with the most convenient and suitable.

Rob in Potomac

19. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Concur that main track at Summit is the ONLY track to consider at the Point. Previously, Algar partnered up with FOW and the FCA to run these events. So, you should start there. Don't waste your time with the Jefferson or Shendandoah circuits. Unsuitable.

VIR is FAR. REALLY far. Several hour drive from the DC area. Probably too far. And, the infrastructure in Southwestern VA isn't quite convenient, either. It's a drive from the hotels to the track.

So, focus on getting dates at Summit. July and August are too hot. Maybe March or April and October or November? 2x per years seems to be about right. Happy to do more. Want to do more. But, I also understand there are logistics and costs to consider. First order of business is to get dates. Previously, FoW did 2-day events on Monday and Tuesday. Weekends would be great, but hard to get the date and expensive.

CW

20. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #145 DennisForza, Jan 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
    Hear hear, I was just out there this morning, it took ten minutes before a nice tall girl came out of her office in the Maserati section to ask if she could help me with anything, when I said "I am just dreaming today" her responce was "you can't dream with the lights on", I was like "Huh?" Anyhow, in the old days everyone would say hi as I entered the showroom, particularly back at the old place, and Redding would always come over and talk cars for ten minutes or so, even though he knew at most I would be buying a magazine. He showed me the shop's first 360GT winner and let me climb inside, amazing me with the lightness of the carbon fiber doors and everything else. I sent a few friends who made it out there and they were happy with the shop. Would have liked to have seen the Countach being serviced up close, in the old days anyone who saw me looking through the window would have come over and invited me back, but not to be this time as no one else even looked up at me this morning. After a looking the Fcars over I went over to the Lambo showroom since I had not been out there since it had been completed and there was no one even there, should have just hopped in the Murcielago or the Gallardo Spyder to see if my big butt would fit. ;) I will probably be out there again this weekend dropping off a car next door, I guess I will have to be more approchable some how. I hope it was not my DHS ballcap I was wearing this morning....

I never participated with a car out at the Summit Point track events, but I came out to spectate twice and was treated by car owners and FOW staff like I belonged. They were very well run events and it would be a great shame and real loss if they were to disappear. But with the institutional knowledge dismissed from the staff, I do not know how they could return.

21. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Dennis: You wrote: "... in the old days anyone who saw me looking through the window would have come over and invited me back, but not to be this time as no one else even looked up at me this morning."
    We should always remember this is a business and car owners should take heart that the highly skilled (and not cheep) guys those car owners behind the glass are paying by the clocked hour to work on their cars are not stepping away from their repair job to run tours. While it is great fun for us it makes someone's repair bill more expensive. That sort of personal attention would be the responsibility of the out front sales and marketing staff, accounted for as enterprise overhead, but that way it's not individually tacked on someone's shop bill. M

22. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Michael,
    I think you misread his quote.
    His exact quote was "...in the old days everyone would say hi as I entered the SHOWROOM, particularly back at the old place..." (emphasis added). In the shop, I expect all business like you said, but in the showroom, I expect the warm fuzzies.

23. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Thanks for the clarification of my less than stealer post. ;) If Glenn saw me peeking in the shop, he would bring me back, or if Sean saw me when he looked up from a job he would wave me back. I don't think it ever cost the paying customer a dime in time, but it sure did encourage me to spread the word about how great the shop was.

24. autowerks9

autowerks9 Formula 3
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2009
    North Wales, Pa.
    Full Name:
    David S.
    ^^ +1 ^^..Not to sidetrack..

A Flat Rate Shop charges by the "hour" for repair. But, most repairs have a structured labor hour to perform. IE: Cambelt service pays the tech a specific labor time ( 8.5 hours )to complete the task. Whether it takes one guy 6 hours and another 10, the standard of pay is 8.5 hours.

25. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Joe/Dennis We are saying the same thing, its a business: the reaching out is done by one set of guys, the wrenching out is done by another, the best shops get both functions right. Hopefully FOW's leadership has heard some of this dialog and have empowered the right people to a do something about it. Now we all need to sit back and give them time to work. In the management consulting literature there is the rule of thumb that at best the time necessary to fix a problem is at least half as long as that problem has been in existance. We need to give them that time and slack as it won't all be instantly right, M