Formula 1’s best drivers - The Economist, October 2020 | FerrariChat

Formula 1’s best drivers - The Economist, October 2020

Discussion in 'F1' started by WilyB, Oct 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    Engineers, not racers, are the true drivers of success in motor sport

Our statistical model finds that neither Lewis Hamilton nor Michael Schumacher is Formula 1’s greatest driver.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/10/17/engineers-not-racers-are-the-true-drivers-of-success-in-motor-sport

2. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Engineers during this hybrid era have been more influential than any previous era.

F1 would be a stronger sport if they allowed greater driver input and driver improvisation.
    Engineers telling the driver how to drive is quite frankly ridiculous.

Cars are also more refined now than ever before.

3. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    It's true about the refinement. But a simplicity formula will never fly when most of the big money comes from the engine manufacturers. The aerodynamicists are clever is hell, and that may influence Ferrari buyers, but that's about it.

4. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    I think young hybrid drivers (Leclerc - Verstappen) already knew how to "drive" before they came to F1

5. JeanAlessi

JeanAlessi Rookie

Oct 26, 2020
    Full Name:
    JeanAlessi
    In my opinion, we can not compare different eras...but if I had to choose : 1 Fangio 2 Clark 3 Alonso

WilyB likes this.
  6. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    For the same reasons this is not possible in high performance fighter jets--you adapt the jet not the driver not the other way around. When a pilot gets on board of a F15, F16, F18, F22, F35, they punch up their name and the jet configures itself to the pilot. Certain pilots can take more Gs, and control the craft at higher rates of pitch, roll, and yaw, but the team back home wants the craft to return in one piece. Thus the plane limits capabilities to those demonstrated by the pilot on board, and the pilot on oard does not always get the maximum the plane is capable of.......

SimCity3, greg328 and Bas like this.
  7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
  8. simpen

simpen Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2016
    Unpopular opinion: I really don't care about F1 in the Sixties, I think it was the most boring, amateurish era with sketchy looking shed-built cars that already look like coffins because they are more unsafe than they are fast. As such, I would not think as Jim Clark being one of the best pilots in a million years.

Meaning to say: every comparison of drivers from different eras is inherently flawed and pointless. It's not economics where you compensate for inflation. It's a sport albeit very technical, but ruled by emotion!

9. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Big thumb down here !!!

10. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

I used to spend some time with the SU27 Flanker. Not sure if it had a similar system, but if it did the pilot Anotoli must've switched it OFF, as his moves were outrageous and defied belief

11. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Welcome to Fchat.

WilyB likes this.